ESPN.com Headline: Mexico's Chivas to buy MLS expansion team

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Tecos, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Wow, espn.com actually has this on their front page right now, I guess it is eminant. (Sorry if someone else already noticed this.)

2. WVKeeper

WVKeeper Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Charlotte Suburbs, SC
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess without any further news from MLS... Y'all might as well say hi to the two new MLS teams...

San Diego Chivas and Cleveland Stokers

3. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be the 1st to admit i make various spelling and/or grammar mistakes, and i have never bothered to correct any of the posters before....I guess there is always a first time....In your post, you meant imminent, not "eminant"
    But yeah, this is huge news, perhaps it should go to N&A, even though there are a few unanswered questions left

4. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder when they will make the official decision on what city the Chivas team will be located in.

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    oooops sorry

7. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's cool, we're all human. :)

The article says that Vergara seems set on San Diego for reasons of both support and building a new stadium, but also, MLS appears to be looking at other venues for the team as well, such as L.A., Houston and Chicago.

Also, according to the article, Vergara will invest between $12-15 million for the rights to have Chivas USA in the league.

And it does mention Cleveland, although I'm not sure if that's due to be absolutely certain or not yet.

8. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Great stuff to hear that its essentially official. great news that they won't be monkeying with the rules in order to get the team in. Strange news in that Vierga talks about exchanging players between his two clubs. I'd imagine that'd require some trickey maneuvering within MLS' current player ownership structure and would seem to run into FIFA rules, unless they were all considered loans? Overall great news though and should put some fears to rest about what the make up of the team would be.

9. Archers

Archers New Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Go(ats) USA!

10. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Remember that Mexico plays two seasons a year. We have already had players (like Hernandez, and even an attempt by Wynalda) who played a MLS season and then a Mexican season in a year.

11. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention Tab Ramos, I believe, and Marcelo Balboa.

What year did Balboa play in Mexico, for Leon? I'd like to check this, to see if he played postseason soccer for both teams in the same year as well. It might have been the year where the Rapids advanced to the MLS Cup final, IIRC.

In any event, it's not easy to do, postseason(s) notwithstanding. And if Vergara actually succeeds in having some of his existing players play two seasons in the same calendar year, I think that should win those players a certain degree of respect.

12. Mark Coker

Mark Coker Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Seattle,WA, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and going further back, Dominic Kinnear. He won a championship in Mexico, joined the '95 Sounders in mid-season and won the A-League.

13. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that's right. I had forgotten about Dom.

14. Nook1

Nook1 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Kinnear was with Necaxa when they won the championship in '95. It was their first championship since 1938 (before the professional era in Mexican soccer).

15. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cleveland? howd they get on the map?

16. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is not an official release from mls and nowhere in this ap article does the writer say that a deal has been finalised... just an "agreement in principal."

i'm sorry, but if there was going to be a breaking story, wouldn't a well-known us-based journalist be the one to do it instead of some ap hack based in mexico. this sounds like some more misinformation from our friend mr. vergara. he's still trying to buy himself some leverage going into the board of governors meeting that decides when and where he plays. and as far as we know, the final price tag has not been fixed. we've heard everything from $5-15 million.

this article smells of cleveland.

17. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they've always been there... its just a little harder to find without the burning river.

thank you, thank you. i'll be here all week. ;)

18. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hah, good stuff...

19. LA Galaxy Fan

LA Galaxy Fan Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Tokyo
    I vows to protest Chivas USA when team visit LA Galaxy at HDC in 2005. I chop goat and eat meat, yum yum! :)

20. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Up to this point, I was a fan of the idea of bringing Chivas into the league. However, if it will result in ritual animal sacrifice, I just can't condone it.

21. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if it's not ritualistic? What if it's just a BBQ at a tailgate?

22. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, not really.

You have to give kudos to the AP guy for doing the legwork. He didn't just take one quote and write a first lede that would die on the wire.

He not only talked to Vergara, but got MLS side. I'd hardly call that a hack.

Plus, once one AP guy gets it, it's not like people in other bureaus are gonna try and scoop him. The fact that the story is still bandying about the wire says something.

Instead of bashing him, I'd bash the other papers who chose to not do their own story and just ran his, including the Union-Tribune.

Maybe they know what he wrote was right and just didn't want to take the time reinventing the wheel.

23. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Mmm-Mmm-Good:

Grilled goat

Yield: 4 portions

4 lbs Leg of goat
    Red wine
    Meat tenderizer
    ACHIOTE OIL
    Olive oil
    Annato seeds
    Ancho pepper

Procedures
    1. Cut goats leg at the knee-bone, pierce meat several times, rinse in water and sprinkle on meat tenderizer.

2. Place meat in a bowl, cover loosely and refidgerate several hours.

3. About 2 hours before grilling, place meat in a large pot, add enough water to cover; bring water to a boil and then lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.

4. Remove meat from water, place back in the bowl and add about 2 cups red wine.

5. Allow meat to soak in wine for 20-30 minutes.

6. Discard water and wine.

7. While meat is in wine, place 1/2 cup or so of olive oil in a skillet, add a few annatto seeds, and an ancho pepper (dried) or two, unseeded.

8. Heat oil and stir seeds until oil takes on the color of the annatto seeds, (orange).

9. Keep heat low, allow oil to cool, and brush over meat while grilling.

10. When grill is ready, cook meat about 10 minutes on one side, then 5 or so on the other, or until meat is done.

24. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    And maybe when Chivas comes to your stadium, you can throw dead goats onto the field.

This is going to be the best.

25. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    You mean like octopusses and gophers?

What else can we steal from hockey?