ESPN blows it again (what a surprise!!)

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by ThrashBoy, Sep 30, 2003.

1. ThrashBoy

ThrashBoy New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    ESPN announced today that today's scheduled Inter Milan-Dynamo Kiev match at 2:30 p.m. (ESPN2) will not be shown live and instead will be shown at 1 a.m. EST (on ESPN2).

They're reason: baseball playoffs
    Now, it might just be me, but am I the only person who knows that proceeding every baseball season, there are playoffs?

Instead of the match, ESPN2 will be showing.....
    STREETBALL: THE AND 1 MIX TAPE TOUR!!!

Let the madness continue.

2. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Ratings rule. I imagine Streetball would get better ratings than a European soccer match in this country.

3. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Ratings don't explain why they cancel it at the last possible minute. Ratings would explain why they don't show Champions League matches at all. But they've shown them for several years now, today they just decided to ax the game at the last second. That's pretty unusual for a live event. And it just screwed my afternoon.

4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Re: Re: ESPN blows it again (what a surprise!!)

Yup. Same here...

5. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, now my TiVo is recording this crap.

6. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah... what's your point? The baseball playoffs, which are poised to have absolutely huge ratings due to exciting match ups. And an ESPN EOE series that they have a lot of money probably invested into. If you want to bitch about anything bitch about the decline in sports coverage for the EOE type stuff. But that crucial Milan-Dynamo match...? Who cares?

7. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Hey I'm just trying to give one explaination. Perhaps they had Streetball on ESPN and moved it to ESPN2? I don't know. I'd rather they have shown the game as well, I took the afternoon off.

8. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is my vcr! I knew I had been watching too much soccer. :(

9. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Actually the game times for each of the baseball games have been very weird. MLS is kind of bending over backwards with newtorks, espn and the like to make sure they ahve the games that they want tand the times that they want. THe times for these games were only determined a few days ago. It has more with MLB not having its act together than anything.

10. ThrashBoy

ThrashBoy New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    My point is that this match has been scheduled for weeks, and ESPN has known for months that today would be first day of MLB playoffs, yet they use this lame excuse to screw us out of another live match.

Heck, the baseball excuse still doesn't make sense because there is only one game going on right now. Instead they have to show a bunch of guys pretending to play basketball instead of showing a match in the biggest club tournament of the most popular sport in the world.

And in case your're counting, ESPN is now 2-for-2 in CL foul-ups so far this season. Inter Milan fans here in the U.S., I truly feel for you.

11. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Having the MLB on ESPN shouldn't change the fact that they have Champions League on ESPN2. ESPN totally ruins the Champions League for American viewers. They should just give up the rights to a station that would actually show matches.

Sky Sports in England give their viewers a choice from 4 games each week.

12. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Re: Re: ESPN blows it again (what a surprise!!)

Exactly!

13. HogNose

HogNose New Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Chihuahuan Desert
    What is Streetball?

No, I'm serious. Is this something I should know about?

14. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I'm in the "don't get it if you're not going to show it" camp. If Streetball gets better ratings and/or you're going to hold your two main networks hostage to the whims of Bud Selig, fine. But don't tell us you're going to show a game and then back out for avoidable reasons. And reconsider whether you want Champions League soccer as part of your programming portfolio in the first place.

15. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    One more reason for me to move out of this country.
    My afternoon is gone and I guess for that matter, so is my night's sleep....
    damn them.

16. El_Maestro

El_Maestro Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Planet Earth
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    And Americans get angry when people from all over the world say they're stupid.

This has nothing to do with ESPN per se, but with America's viewing habits. In the rest of the world, ESPN shows 2 games live per matchday and the rest on tape delay. That's pretty good in my book.

17. Texan

Texan New Member

Jan 8, 2001
    I can understand why they wouldn't be that interested in the airing the CL, but it sure would be nice if they would then not bid on it so somebody like FSW who is interested in it, could air it properly.

18. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the risk of suffering Segroves' wrath, I have to concur that they knew about the MLB playoff game today for months. Why move Street Ball to espn2 now?

19. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    come 2004 Champions League will be on ESPN Deportes, they will show 4 games on each MatchDay, so i hear.

Now our TV are tunned into ESPN and pumping the ratings up for this Streetball crap show(whatever) , they will have good ratings thanks to all the soccer fans.

Another disappointing day in US Soccer history, goes in the books.

20. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then there would be more complaints as FSW is not even close to the availablity of ESPN2..

21. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just wish they put it on PPV and everyone can choose the game they want to watch, end of story.

22. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I'm just pissed I drove 50miles, almost got in accident to see street ball or whorever.

23. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

The 1st round of the MLB playoffs is always during the day. ESPN couldn't have all of a sudden been suprised by having a 1:00 game. They show games in the middle of the day so that they don't have to show two games at the same time. The Cubs and Braves are in primetime tonight.

ESPN puts no effort into doing a good job with the Champions League in the US. They don't get a lot of viewers, but the ruin the Champions League for those that actually care.

24. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLB playoffs, sure, but are they bound to show StreetBall at that time? Isn't it an EOE production anyway?

25. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    anybody got the e-mail for ESPN? complain line.