ESPN article on Quakes' move: Carlisle reacts

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by cpwilson80, Dec 16, 2005.

1. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Roma_Wolves

Roma_Wolves New Member

May 4, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think saying the damage is irreparable is a bit over the top, and even irresponsible. But, I also think that Garber is way to flippant about it. And AEG...WTF?

3. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The emotion that was in that article makes it look as if he has been a season ticket holder of the Quakes for 10 years. To say the damage is irreparable is one thing when you are a jaded San Jose supporter. That's understandable and any other reaction would be surprising. But when you are a national writer who's supposed to remain a bit less partial, it smacks of over-reaction and poor journalism. If he still feels that way one month from now, fine...publish the article then and it will have more merit. But to publish that article the day after the team is moved looks awfully reactionary.

4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. I think a second MLS franchise in the Bay Area will be just about impossible in the near future. The league would need some heavy-duty 'rebranding' in order to pull that off.

5. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its a very well written column and hits on many relevant points.

But It is a bit over the top in stating the effect this move will have on the overall health of the league.

In fact, in this case, I think he is dead wrong. Yes MLS Houston has a lot work to do - but if they got a more favorable lease at Roberston than at Spartan this move was a relatively easy business decision.

Houston is a pulsing, crowded, loud, often repulsive, mass of humanity but for some reason people live there. A LOT of them. The potential market alone makes Houston a more attractive place for a team. Throw in a few sponsorships and this team will do much better financially than in San Jose. Anyone wanna bet Houston 2006 has better attendance than San Jose 2005?

Houston has a ton of folks with money - lots of kids - lots of Hispanics and a local government that spends money when they want to. And they want to a lot.

This move will make MLS more attractive to potential MLS investors and other cities. Not less so. But these cities have to have a plan and be willing to act. San Jose did not - at least not in time. Its too bad - but that is life in the MLS reality.

6. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is a die-hard Earthquake supporter. I dont' know if he's been a season ticket holder for 10 years, but he is an Earthquake fan. Used to write on Matchnight website in the Quakes section.

7. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    we are not fans of SJ so we cannt say whether it is over the top or not until it happens to us

8. jägermeister

jägermeister New Member

May 18, 2004
    Hannover
    ...so if you are a fan you are allowed to stop being a journalist or responsible?

Then again, didn't stop the Philly NAACP head. Did it? He is just a fan. Yeah right.

Sorry, Jeff. I feel, but not only will life go on, it strengthens the league position. A San Jose future team is a sad dream. Don't believe the current rhetoric. Only a white knight who will shoulder virtually all costs could make it happen.

Houston is a better deal and an easier place in the country to get a stadium (Cali and NY virtually impossible - must shooulder whole load in any sport - ask the Yanks & NY Giants). AEG will make it happen. Count on it. They want to be there. Sadly, they never wanted to be in SJ, so without someone else this was inevitable.

9. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that makes the tone of the article much more understandable, but it still doesn't excuse why it was written and published nationally...unless it is published as an article from a Quakes supporter and not as an impartial soccer journalist, with no specific interest, just talking about soccer.

10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's an opinion column.

11. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough...I have no problem with that at all. He's entitled to his opinion and his opinion has merit. That doesn't mean that the front page story on ESPN Soccernet the day after should be "How MLS screwed up." by huge Quakes fan. That seems a bit...well wrong for lack of a better word.

12. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the NFL can do it with a franchise as storied as the Browns, I'd be surprised if MLS couldn't pull it off as well.

13. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Land and labor costs are also cheap.

14. firefly

firefly New Member

Jun 21, 2002
    Libertyville, Ill.
    Does anyone really think that Houston will draw less than San Jose? If the lease terms are at least as good as in SJ (which they probably are), it seems like this is a good financial move.

15. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    As long as they play their games in the evening and AEG markets the team correctly, the excitement of a first season should certainly bring in the fans. After the first season, it depends on how well the team does, among other factors.