Espn and The Euros

Discussion in 'Euro 2012' started by srabijr, Jun 7, 2008.

1. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    I've seen TSN - not bad. I know of Craig Forrest, but not the other duo in the studio. Is the sole announcer for TSN the canadian announcer, or is he the worldwide (non-ESPN) English announcer?
    I agree - Deportes is also good -Mario Kempes!
    The NY Times also raved about Andy Gray.... and I've always liked Derek Rae.

2. Warbuxx

Warbuxx Member

Jun 23, 2002
    The comments here about the excellent quality of some of the ESPN Deportes announcers are spot on. There are analysts in a number of Latin countries in this Hemisphere and in Europe who could run rings even around the venerable Andy Gray. I would hope that ESPN resists the urge to maintain an anglocentric or british-centered focus and bring in some of these other guys from countries where they can really take apart a match tactically and make it superbly entertaining and edifying.

The question is whether such professionals will be competent broadcasting in English, but it's a worthwhile project and I'd like to see such people brought in to join the likes of Gray and -in particular- to provide a much more incisive level of analysis for the studio shows than we are getting at present.

3. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    WB et al:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't ESPN's CL Final coverage had Clarence Seedorf doing first half analysis w/Rae..then he did second half with the Deportes team!?!
    I can probably think of someone like Ricky Ardiles or others who know English well enough to explain the nuances to an American audience, but not be excessively "Anglocentric" (though I will admit that England is "America's team", and also admit that the strength (fan appeal) of MLS lies with its Hispanic following......)
    They say familiarity breeds contempt, and perhaps those of us in the States have yet to be exposed to enough of Gray..still, I am far more grateful he's in the studio/booth.
    Now if the EBU could fix their backup problems? Hell, if a tornado can hit the Georgia Dome and somkeoen could still broadcast a basketball game in the midst of it., I think there's a "learning opportunity" present.

4. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    My thoughts exactly, it's frustrating listening to analysts who seem very good and can go on and on when talking about british football, but do not really say much when they have to step outside of that circle.

5. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I have to disagree, Yeff. Kempes is not very good. He sucks, actually. Can't understand what he says 90% of the time. It's like half of his mouth and lips are paralyzed. He babbles on and on and you can really see he doesn't know much when you pair him up with the others on Fuera de Juego (football discussion program).

The narrator is great though. No complains :p They should pair him up with the uruguayan Eduardo Biyascaran(?) to do matches. That would be a quality commentating crew.

Jorge Ramos is doing a great job on ESPN Deportes Radio. And since it's the EURO, he's left his mexican bias (he has it in Libertadores/Sudamericana) at home :)

6. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We get Real Madrid tv here and i hate it when they shout GOAL!!! for ages.:mad:

7. TheGrimSweeper

Jul 16, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its very necessary. GOOOOOOLLLAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

8. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Why, it does my head in!

9. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do you mean Ossie Ardiles or Ricky Villa?

10. chelsea new yorker

Apr 26, 2001
    brooklyn, ny
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    my bad! Either one - though I probably meant Oswaldo A!
    DOH! Think I'll get meself some coffee.........

11. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ha ha -- no worries mate :D

Make sure it's not decaf! :)

12. Nicodemus145

Nicodemus145 Member

Jul 10, 2003
    AL
    They look like they've really got it together regarding Deportes. I'm always jealous of the games they show when I look at espn's TV listings.

I wouldn't mind some diversity, but I haven't heard any spanish announcer doing a really good job in English. You'd have to find the rare mix of some one very knowledgable of both latin and european play, and be VERY fluent in english as well (it seems a little translation barrier is always in the way).

And I'm with zippy. I absolutely cannot stand that "GOOOOAL" crap.

13. Nicodemus145

Nicodemus145 Member

Jul 10, 2003
    AL
    There are many advantages to moving the final to ABC instead of ESPN:

1. Reaches a larger audience that either doesn't have extended basic cable or doesn't watch ESPN.

2. No more HD. Get that 70s vintage feel through your local affiliate fuzz.

3. If your area is experiencing servere weather, you can enjoy constant updates via giant blue scrolling text at the bottom.

4. You can also enjoy repeated interruptions in the video feed for one-on-one updates with your favorite local weather man.

5. If you live in Lee County, and you're still worried about the weather situation, you can observe the giant yellow and red weather map taking up the bottom left quarter of your screen. Even after the storm has long past, you can take comfort in the fact that that eyesore is a pleasent green color.

That's just my local station's fault. Credit to ESPNs coverage (so far) and for choosing Adny Gray over Smyth. But bad choice to put it on ABC IMO.

14. digme

digme New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    i just stumbled upon this thread looking for the Final thread, and i couldn't believe all the people moaning.... are you kidding me people? WTH is wrong with folks? wasn't the torture with commentator-wannabes converted from Baseball games not enough? Andy is the real deal folks.... yes he is biased because he is more familiar with EPL players, but he is not an idiot, like Tommy.... I swear, people in the US still clueless about footie....

i am so happy...the best ref in the tourney refed the last game
    the best team in the tourney won the cup
    and the better commentator...because i was really afraid Tommy's ego wouldn't let this one go.

15. johndaly

johndaly New Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Thank goodness we were not subjected to another horror torture session by Uncle Fester (aka Tommy Smyth, I mean). You get the "I mean" don't you? I mean!

Germany was very poor on the day. There is no doubting Ballack's ability, but he is one real whiner! He goes chasing the referee all over the field every time there is a decision which does not go his team's way. He could have been red carded for persistent ankle tapping in the first half.

There was so little threat up front for the Germans, with Casillas having a relatively easy afternoon. Klose and Podolsky were both non factors.

I was able to mute half time while I made a cup of tea and did not have to listen to Uncle Fester. What a joy that was...plus Barry's Tea is the best!!!

A great tournament was won by the best team playing the best football and with some of the best players:- Puyol, Senna, Casillas, Fabregas, Villa, Torres, Iniesta, Xabi.

Viva Espana!!!

Now, just two really important questions remain:
    (1) Will ESPN/ABC now get rid of Uncle Fester? I have got a used old onion bag to wrap around his face!
    (2) Will they hire Andy Gray for the World Cup?

16. The Soccerwiz

The Soccerwiz New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    In the US&A
    Its typical ESPN and mostly American Sports commentators to be shamelessly bias towar one the team they like. I usually Watch in mute or change to the Spanish broadcast if there is one availlable.

17. mbyte84

mbyte84 New Member

May 7, 2008

18. Mario4284

Mario4284 New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Atlanta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AGREE, Kempes is a disaster, but still better than Univison's comentators, those are the worst