Espn and The Euros

Discussion in 'Euro 2012' started by srabijr, Jun 7, 2008.

1. srabijr

srabijr New Member

May 20, 2008
    Panhandle, FL
    Does anybody know why the second most popular tournament will only be shown on espn classic and 360 and deportes. I have neither of these channels. There is a problem with Espn and their way of thinking. We need a channel that we don't have to pay extra for, but comes on regular cable.

2. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    um a bunch of the games are on espn2

3. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
    espn360 Coverage

Anyone have trouble with the espn360 converage of Portugal-Turkey? I'm seeing no events available.

4. ChicagoAzzuri

ChicagoAzzuri New Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Why can't they send these pricks to the stadium? They have enough money, even the Mexicans do it. The 2nd game you can totally tell they're in the studio, then they had audio difficulties, ruins the atmosphere

5. Vocalz

Vocalz ManUtd! SLB! Pt!

Dec 31, 2005
    California
    The opening ceremonies etc are hard to make fit into scheduling, the rest I believe are all on espn2 and the final will be on ABC.

I dunno why people are whining about this they got Andy to commentate the games that's a huge step up from the dumbass USMNT veterans they've had in the past.

6. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I just wish Harkes would stop calling them, "Team Portugal" or "Team Poland" or "Team; fill in the blank"!!! Annoying!

7. timotheus

timotheus New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Chicago
    There can be only 1 - Andy vs Tommy. ESPN MMA in the studio

Tommy does not like competition, and is trying to boss Andy around.

Andy laughs it off, which infuriates Tommy even more...

:D

8. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: There can be only 1 - Andy vs Tommy. ESPN MMA in the studio

26 of 31 are on ESPN, ESPN2, or ABC. The other 5 are on ESPN Classic.

9. timotheus

timotheus New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Chicago
    People! NBA Finals are on!

ESPN reminds us, the idiots who watch this pansy sport, that a real man's - hell, real AMERICAN sport - is on.

Convert, ye heretics to a REAL sport!

If the ESPN bosses get more angry, they will interrupt live TV soccer match transmissions for "quick" NBA promos... :rolleyes:

10. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    "Maybe England isn't such a good side"

Actual quote from... Tommy Smyth?! :eek:

Naaaah, not him. He couldn't have said that. I refuse to believe it. That's not the Tommy we all know and, er, love. The studio lights must be getting to him...... again.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If every broadcaster who wants to broadcast the Euros sent their announcing teams to the stadium the press boxes would take up half the seats of the stadium. Given that its the championship of Europe and Disney is an American company I'm not surprised that ESPN didn't get first dibs on the press box.

12. bzygo

bzygo New Member

Mar 24, 2007
    Alief (Houston), Tx
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is ESPN's coverage the greatest, no, but it keeps improving, slowly or surely.

View it this way . . . ESPN is like the person slowly inching his way into a cool pool or lake. Testing the waters, afraid to invest too much until he knows it's worth it. Instead of moaning and whining, we need to encourage ESPN to keep going deeper into the pool - yes we can criticize, just be constructive and also give them props for what they do right.

Soccer coverage in the U.S. has been a long slog, but we're in a much better place then we were 10 years ago.

13. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN's coverage is awesome.

14. Tejas

Tejas Member+

Jun 3, 2000
    Tejas
    Re: There can be only 1 - Andy vs Tommy. ESPN MMA in the studio

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Tommy seemed overly argumentative and kept talking over both the others. He may have just been trying to liven things up, but it came across as obnoxious.

Andy Gray is the real deal. I'm glad ESPN has him.

15. timotheus

timotheus New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Chicago
    "He may have just been trying to liven things up, but it came across as obnoxious."

That's the Tommy we all love!

Please spare Joulie from your rage, she is an innocent doe!! :cool:

16. timotheus

timotheus New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Chicago
    More NBA please!

Please ESPN, more NBA promos.

In fact, please interrupt a live soccer game to show a full one minute advertisement of the much more important NBA finals.

Soccer is booooooring, and for girly men!

17. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Re: More NBA please!

are you serious? are you really that petty? why wouldnt a network advertise having the NBA finals? jesus...you should be thanking them for putting as much into showing a EUROPEAN tournament in the US as they are. its people like you that help perpetuate soccer players and fans as whiners.

18. timotheus

timotheus New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Chicago
    your sig.

it bothers me.

should be:
    "rule number 15, you're an idiot"
    just looking for proper english, that's all...

19. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  20. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol...I'm anal about that shit, too...

Did Frodo, or whatever her freakin name is just say she was glad the ref did not give out a deserved yellow card to the Croatian because it would have ended up in a red, hence making the game uneven? :eek:

That has about as much credibility for a commentator to say, "I like this team better becuase their uniforms look much nicer..."

21. Vocalz

Vocalz ManUtd! SLB! Pt!

Dec 31, 2005
    California
    It's a thin line, but I disagree with her since he gave the pen. If he gave the yellow on the pen then he should have given the second yellow, that's consistency.

But all in all the game would have been a borefest if Austria was down to ten.

22. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: More NBA please!

Please tell us when the soccer game was interrupted for a one minute ad.

I've watched every minute of every Euro 2008 game so far, and I've seen nothing of the sort.

23. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 matches in, and Rae and Healy have been quite good so far.

I too wish they were in the stadia, but I'm assuming they'll have folks in country for the semi's on. Just a guess. Although that might mean it's JP and Harkes -- which is a big plus / minus (in that order).

24. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    It's a joke buddy..it's a quote from someone else, who didn't realize the irony. But I appreciate your lesson.

25. srabijr

srabijr New Member

May 20, 2008
    Panhandle, FL
    I'm just glad Dave O'Brian isn't doing any commentary. And as for sending them into the stadia, there wouldn't be any seating for the fans.