News: ESPN acquires Euro 2020, Europe WCQ '22 and Nations League rights

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Oct 15, 2015.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #26 HomietheClown, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
    I think it is pretty safe to say Darke and Healy are going to be the main Play-by-play guys. Maybe Jon Champion too.
    Not a bad trio if you think about it.

It is the possible color commentators that have me a bit concerned. Probably the likes of Twellman, Keller and maybe Moreno for Spain / Portugal games.
    Not good.

2. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ^ and probably the likes of Wambach & Foudy.....even worse

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Oh heck no. I hope not.

4. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I very much doubt you'll hear all three as color commentators, maybe one. More likely they're on some of the studio shows.

If by "probably" you mean zero chance, sure. Again, they might pop up a bit on the coverage and/or ESPN FC, but I'd be stunned if they were calling matches.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well they had Twellman do the Germany-England match. So I think they are set on him doing something. They had Keller doing it 4 years ago. And I think Moreno did World Cup and also recent friendlies of Spaim.

So it is not out of the question. I hope you are right though.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Speaking of the World Cup Darke Worked with Stewart Robson. And that pair was pretty good. Maybe they bring him back.

bigtw64 repped this.
  7. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Derek Rae will call some games.

8. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He confirmed on Twitter that he will.

Also, Mike Tirico will be part of the coverage, his final assignment before leaving ESPN.

HomietheClown repped this.
  9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    :thumbsup:

10. FallOfFingolfin

Mar 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tirico's first Euros, right? I thought it was just Lowe (and Ley?) in '12. Tirico does a decent job but it'll be weird not having Ley around.

sitruc repped this.
  11. annoyingracoon01

Aug 29, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No suprises with Darke, Healey, Rae, and Champion. I'm kind of suprised with Max Bretos and Mark Donaldson calling games. Im really suprised with Kate Margraf, I thought the women contingent at espn would be relegated to the night time shows and espn fc.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Some personal observations:

I have been using both WatchESPN and the "New" ESPN App on my Android tablet during the NBA Eastern Finals and I have noticed that the picture looks better and crisper on the ESPN app. On WatchESPN it looks a bit pixelated.

Just something to take note of for when the tournament starts up. The New ESPN app is the way to go.

13. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

With two weeks until the kickoff of UEFA European Football Championship, today ESPN is debuting “More Than Football,” an integrated marketing campaign celebrating the world’s most competitive international soccer tournament. Starting June 10, the month-long event will feature 51 matches in 10 cities throughout France.

The campaign’s inaugural spot – available in English and Spanish — introduces sweeping shots of French landmarks interlaced with footage of some of the most iconic moments and players in the history of the tournament, including Cristiano Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney and Zlatan Ibrahimovic. Following a French theme, which will be emphasized throughout the campaign, the ad plays to the sound of French alternative rock band M83’s “Outro.”

ESPN, ESPN3, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Deportes Radio will present exclusive coverage of UEFA EURO 2016. Additionally, ESPN’s digital hub for soccer, www.espnfc.com, ESPN FC on TV, SportsCenter, as well as ESPNDeportes.com and ESPN Deportes’ Fuera de Juego and Jorge Ramos y Su Banda will combine to present the most-comprehensive news and information coverage of the quadrennial football championship for Europe in the United States. Full schedule of the matches on ESPN is available here.

15. FallOfFingolfin

Mar 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HomietheClown repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #43 HomietheClown, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    They should use it as a life gives you lemons you make lemonade situation. Maybe have someone silly like Ale Moreno or Burley in rain coats doing some sort of wannabe weather channel in hurricanes type of spoof reports.

17. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As mentioned in other threads on BS, The Nations League draw and schedule is out:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_UEFA_Nations_League

It will be interesting to see how serious ESPN and Univision cover this tournament.

Group 1 will be shown on ESPN and Univision for sure you would think.
    The rest of League A maybe ESPN2 and Univision Deportes? Who knows?

Then the other Leagues on ESPN3 and maybe Galavision.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Spain - England and Italy - Portugal matches will probably be on ESPN and Univision too now that I think about it.

20. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Saturdays I think NCAA Football will get priority on ESPN channels.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Marius Tresor repped this.
  22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There will be 2 games on ABC, 2 on ESPN2, and 3 on ESPNEWS. There will probably be more on ESPN3 (free if you get ESPN channels from a TV provider, otherwise not possible to watch legally) and/or ESPN Plus. In a normal year ABC would be showing three NCAA Football games on Saturday September 5.

Edit: ESPN doesn't have any games scheduled for ESPN3 or ESPN Plus yet, but I'm assuming that's because they haven't chosen what games.

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Interestingly, none of the games are posted on the ESPN+ schedule yet. I assume that they will show pretty much all the NL matches like 2 years ago(?), but nothing posted on the espn website yet.

COVID/Trump doing wonders for soccer coverage by major networks this summer and autumn.