Esky to see Neurologist

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by onefineesq, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Well if it gets him back to playing like he has this year, then is it really worth it?

If that stupid headband can bring back the goals from last year, then I'm (still somewhat reluctantly) for it.

2. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    If it will get him back to his deadly form of last year, he can come out in a headband, tutu, and Luccheses.

(I'd pay to see that!)

3. DCU9ted

DCU9ted New Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Rockville
    Alecko is cleared to play...He's baaaaaaaaack...

4. RMDad

RMDad New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Fredericksburg, Va.
    Good news!!
    Alecko, my man, DO NOT lead with your head! :p
    This ain't faceball, RFK isnt used for that anymore.
    Mark

5. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Goff's latest, he will miss his third straight game due to the concussion and a neck sprain.

6. needsashower

needsashower New Member

May 2, 2004
    down by the river
    C'mon, they're not as bad as those terrycloth sweatbands!

7. needsashower

needsashower New Member

May 2, 2004
    down by the river
    I admire the way Esky plays. He's one of my favorite players in the league. Hope to see him back at full speed soon.

8. Daniel le Rouge

Daniel le Rouge New Member

Oct 3, 2002
    under a bridge
    See, here's the thing: I'm all behind the comments of "if ya gotta do it, ya gotta do it"

But part of me can't help but think: "If you have to wear a helmet to play the game, you oughtn't to be playing the game."

This, coming from a guy who is flat out missing 20 minutes from his life due to getting drilled headfirst into the ground at a 90 degree angle during a rugby match. The simple fact is, I'm lucky to be alive--I should've died on the pitch that day.

I've been fortunate--despite 20+ years of contact sports, I only ever had one concussion. On the other hand, it's just my luck that I happened to switch jobs, cars, and start dating a new girl, all on that weekend.

Monday was a serious experience in weird, let me tell you!

As near as I can tell, I lost close to six months at the time of the accident. I got almost all of it back, but it took close to six months post-concussion to remember everything I was ever going to get. That was the occasion of my last "stunner". That's an experience fellow concussion sufferers can understand--that's when somebody comes up to you six months later, and says "remember when?", and you DON'T. Because of the concussion. "Oh ... yeah" turns into "OH ... YEAH!"

It's a scary damn thing six months after the accident that caused the problem. What's really scary is, by that point, you don't even realize you still have a problem--it's something you accept as ordinary.

Esky needs to get totally well. And then he needs to make a serious decision. This is something nobody needs. For any reason.

If you want to wake up every morning, and know the name of that thing you've got in your hand, let alone the names of your children, you need to think long and hard (no pun intended) about whether you really want to risk that one more concussion that's going to leave you in Muhammad Ali's condition, if you're lucky.

9. DCU9ted

DCU9ted New Member

Aug 24, 2002
    Rockville
    Happy Birthday Alecko