Eski Situation - NYT Article

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by nick, Aug 28, 2005.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Re: Eski may be out permanently

Yet everyone here is ready to make Reis a villain based on the same unknown facts.

It's very sad and unfortunate, that we can all agree on...but the rest is just pure speculation.

2. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know you weren't talking to me, so maybe I'm not getting your point here . . .but I'm really not sure what unknown facts you're referring to. It was well-caught on video. I've watched the clip, oh, at least 15 times by now. I know how far away from the ball Matt Reis was.

3. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Man, I hope not. When Eski was on, he had one of the nicest first touches in the league. His style can make the game totally beautiful to watch. And i looked forward to getting to see him improve over the years with us.

4. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio

No, I've seen the play and Reis was reckless -- I am not right that one bit, but everyone just assumes that it was the hit by Reis has ended his career -- when in reality nobody knows if it's over, and nobody knows if it was just that hit or the numerous other concussions Esky had suffered that finally took its toll on his noggin.

5. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Some goalies get -- cf. Heaps taking two steps after Rimando had caught the ball before clattering into him this past Saturday. And ask Kevin Payne about the complaints he's been making to the league all season about forwards giving Nicky a kick as they go by, typically a step or two after he's gone down for a save.

6. rtiemens

rtiemens Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Virginia

I sincerely hope this was a serious post.

7. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ah, I see. I have no doubt that what he's suffering now is a cumulative thing, in the sense that every one you receive makes any future one that much worse. If it hadn't been for the earlier hits, he probably would have been back from this a long time ago. But at the same time, if he hadn't had this one, he wouldn't be out there hoping to be able to run again either (at least, until he finally did get some other knock to the head).

8. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

No that makes sense to me. The Reis collision was awful and it may be the last straw for Esky. But it wasn't the only blow. Renmember Esky's first game two years ago and that awful hit he took with Convey and I can't remember what GK that took him out of that game? He was out for awhile after that one adn I remember thinking at the time from the way he reacted from that hit and his slow recovery that he probably had at least one concussion in college. It's the accumulation here.

9. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6

Fat Zach.

10. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sorry to hear that. I hope he returns. You just can't tell with post concussion syndrome. Sometimes it's a few days, other times it's a few months. Aleco is a nice young man and his dad is a good guy. He owns a soccer sporting goods store with Hubert Birkenmeir in Hackensack.

11. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Unfortunately, Soccer in many respects is a contact sport and their are a variety of ways for a player to get a significant head injury that have nothing to do with intentional or careless play on anyones part. This is such a case as was the series of Concussions suffered by Adin Brown last year that almost ended his career.

JoeW's post above was spot on. These injuries---esp to the Temple area can be very serious and once someone has a serious one they are VERY prone to further injury.

Sure hope Esky returns to full health---and if possible to playing soccer.

12. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass

Adin Brown is another whose career is hanging by a thread because of concussion.

The poster who described post-concussion syndrome was not exaggerating.

Speaking as a medical person rather than as a fan, I'm wondering whether anyone would consider supporting a study in which soccer players were randomly assigned to wear protective headgear or not. The questions are:

1) How often do soccer concussions occur?
    2) Does protective headgear work?
    3) If so, how many minutes of wearing the headgear are required to prevent one concussion?

Thoughts?

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Funny that you don't mention Brandon Pollard.

14. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6

Pollard recovered. He played 15 games in 2000.

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

When a player plays less than half a season's worth of games after returning from injury and is out of the game a year later, I'm not sure that "recovered" is the right word.

Edit: In any case, my point was that Dema has the reputation because Ronnie O'Brien wasn't his first broken leg in MLS, which may explain why he's more closely scrutinized than Matt Reis is.

16. ayers

ayers Member

Jul 9, 2002
    somewhere

Guys, can we not make this into a thread discussing who's the biggest thug in the league?

Second that. Perhaps opening a thread here could be a start. Keep in mind though, we don't know the extent of his injury or wether or not he's coming back to the game. So I hope we are not turning the well-wishing into some kind of final farewell.

17. gocaps

gocaps Member

Sep 23, 2000
    With the SEs in 134

I think the ultimate issue here is separate from whether Brandon Pollard recovered or not.

People - correctly - point to Dema as a reckless player who has seriously injured people. Not in dispute. But somehow no one ever mentions Reis in that conversation, and they should.

18. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's a fair point. But it doesn't explain to me why Reis is basically given a pass.

19. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And by "he didn't remember much" she meant "he didn't remember me".

20. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6

Was it the injury that ended his career, or did the league improve over him like so many others who had been around since 1996? I really don't remember much of Pollard because of the few times I got to see Dallas play in the early days, but I seem to recall a likeable, if unspectacular, stay-at-home defender who would occasionally make a bad blunder, not unlike Prideaux is now.

I'm not suggesting that it didn't matter whether Pollard's career was ended by Dema because he wasn't good. I'm just trying to understand whether, injury or not, Pollard's career would've continued beyond 2000.

21. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

He would probably be starting on the US National Team right now if it weren't for Kovalenko.

22. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6

I'm not trying to be glib. I've never begrudged the Dallas fans' attitude towards Dema (though I've made fun of it plenty of times). If anything, our feelings towards Reis should, logically, fully justify theirs, and they've had it happen twice. But I asked the question for my own curiosity as someone who is very interested in the history of the league and doesn't remember much about the player in question.

23. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

I was just prepping you for what any Dallas fans besides the Chief will say when they catch wind of the thread.

Carry on with your meaningful posting..

24. brandnew_de

brandnew_de Member

Jun 18, 2005
    CT

I know this will probably fuel the fire, but it should be out there anyway.

From a New York Times article:

It was not the first time this season that Reis had been physical, but it was the first time he had been sanctioned. On June 18, Reis hit D.C. United's Alecko Eskandarian in the head when they collided on the edge of the penalty area. Eskandarian sustained the third concussion of his M.L.S. career and has not played since. Reis was involved in another collision July 9, this time with the Chicago rookie Chris Rolfe. Both times, Reis appeared to ignore the ball and play the man. He did not receive a yellow card in either game.

In an e-mail message, Eskandarian said Reis's punishment was long overdue. "I am glad he finally got penalized for being so reckless, but at the same time, he is out for one game while I have been out for over 10 weeks, so by no means do I feel as though justice has been done," he said. "I feel very strongly about this. I know soccer is a physical game and things happen on the field."

Full text here

25. Eskandarian11

Eskandarian11 New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Armenia

Alecko is such a great guy. He was the same years ago when i played with him in friendlies in LA. I am just so down about his situation that i just can't write anything.

We are the same age and ethnicity, and I was watching my own dream come true in the wonderful start of his career. I would take his injury any day just so he could be healthy and continue what he loves to do.

You will get better buddy, NEVER give up hope.