ESC's Mother of all Open Cup Final threads; MUST READ (Now with Tommy Smyth!)

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Empire Supporters Club, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Empire Supporters Club

Feb 7, 2000
    NYC
    ESC's Mother of all Open Cup Final threads; MUST READ

All-

After a number of days working on ideas for the first cup final in Metro history, we have made the following plans. If you have questions, suggestions, etc, please post them here. You may also e-mail us at empiresc@verizon.net (please be patient, we will get back to you).

Please use this thread to plan for fan activities for Wednesday, October 15th. If you have other ESC membership business, questions about bus trips or whatever, please e-mail us. Thank you.

The Party
    There will be a pre-game party at Nathan Hale's Bar and Grill from 2-6pm.

Nathan Hale's
    6 Murray St (Bet. Broadway & Church Near City Hall Park)
    New York, NY 10007
    Tel: (212) 571-0776
    American Express, Visa,MasterCard,Diners Club Discover, IGT/Times
    Subway:
    4,5,6, to City Hall/Brook. Bridge
    N, R City Hall
    A,C,E Chambers St.

There will be: Food, Drink Specials, a live band (from 5ish to 6pm), tons of metro fans congregating to get ready for the biggest game in team history.

If you've never been, Oct 15th is your day. Metro fans from all over the city will turn out, get loud and bleed for Metro. Please be there to share the day with your friends.

The Flyers
    If you haven't already, please check out the flyer. Wait till the boss goes home and print out a few. Paste up where ya can, where you think they will do some good. Note: You cannot post them up in NYC, but you can pass them out on the corner. You can put them in bars/restaurants if the owner allows, but you must check with them first. Wear 'em on your jacket. Give it to your friends. Cut eye holes out and tape them to your face. Do what you have to do, but please try to get them out there. (Don't litter!).

Note: There is an England-Turkey Euro2004 qualifier game this Saturday morning. If you are going to hit a bar or soccer store near you, try to do it before Saturday AM (bars espec.) so that more soccer people will see them.

We encourage all fans to get active with the flyers. It is the cheapest, easiest thing you can do.

Stay tuned for flyer updates, we will have a flyer with party info on it in short order.

The Ad
    There will be an Ad in First Touch magazine, you can look for it later this week. We may do another ad, but we are trying to save money for the bus, so that might be the largest Ad we have for this game.

The Bus
    We plan to run 2 buses from Nathan Hale's to Giant's Stadium and back. Cost is $ 10, round trip (quite a deal for NYC, mind you). Count on $ 1 tip for the driver if you please. No, the bus does not include a match ticket.

The bus leaves from Nathan Hale's at 6pm. With traffic, we should get to the stadium by 7pm, leaving time for a bit of tailgate, march in and some pre-game warm ups to be in our seats (standing) by 7:45.

If there is enough interest we may run another bus, but conversely if there is not a lot of interest we may cancel the second bus. There are 55 seats per bus. We encourage everyone to RSVP by sending an e-mail to empiresc@verizon.net to request a spot. You can either paypal your $ 10 to escgear@yahoo.com or pay cash on the day of the trip. How you pay is up to you, but we ask that you please RSVP via e-mail so that we can take a head count. We don't want to cancel a bus and turn people away, nor do we want to end up with a second bus with 10 people on it losing money for the club. And if you RSVP, please actually show up. Again, we are doing this for everyone's convenience, so please help us help you.

The bus will drop off in 16A after arriving at Giant's Stadium.

After the game, we will board the bus no more than 30 minutes after the game ends (hopefully a bit sooner). Details will be given out on the bus on the day of the trip, but plan on getting from the park on the bus as soon as you can. If the game ends at 10, the buses will leave at or before 10:30pm or sooner.

The bus will return to at Nathan Hale's by 11pm, which has advised us that they will stay open for some post game drinking (always a Metro staple, win or lose). If you don't drink, show up and buy a coke, you won't regret it.

The T-Shirt
    We are working on having a T-Shirt for everyone to buy, commemerating the first final in club history. Details will follow in this thread next week. Expect it to be short sleeve, double sided and costing around $ 15. It will likely be white or red, with black printing, but those details are still in the works.

The Tailgate
    Post your tailgate plans here.

Details on that are up to the driving-type people, but expect a solid tailgate starting at 3pm and lasting until 7:30pm in lot 16A.

For the tailgate people, it is imperative that the grilling wind up around 7:15pm for the march-in at 7:30pm.

The March-in
    Yes, old school style we will do a march in from Gate C around the stadium into 101. We will rally in lot 16A at 7:15 and leave at 7:30. We plan to bring our flags, drums, and loud voices to all metro fans. We should be in the section at 7:45pm.

Tickets
    All tickets are $ 25. Contact 1-888-Metrotix with questions. You can buy tickets for section 101 at Gate C, and the ESC will be in that section only. If you need a membership, we will hook you up on the day.

If you are already an ESC member, you can call the number above and get tickets for $ 20. You will need your membership number.

The Game
    Wednesday, Oct 15th, 8pm.

All we can say here is the obvious. This is the first final in club history and we have the luck to be hosting it. Everyone in this club, on the boards, in the area and within any possible driving distance who supports Metro or even soccer in general needs to show up to support Metro. We need to come big, loud and fierce. Bring every flag, drum, horn, instrument and vocal chord you have. Wear red and black. Paint your face, paint your gut, whatever you need to do. Bring your friends. Bring your enemies. Bring homeless people from the subway. No one at the game will regret going.

But most of all, bring yourself. It is up to all of us to make this a day for Metro fans, players and the league to remember. In the words of Frank Cross:

Don't miss it. Your life might just depend on it.

Thank you.

-ESC.

2. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    Mods, please sticky until next week.

Thanks.

3. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    ESC, you guys are awesome...i'm lookin forward to meetin all of you at 16a, i'll be there at 3, at the latest haha

4. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Nothing in that link re: any Metro plans to promote the Cup Final.

5. vflkirwan

vflkirwan Member

Mar 28, 2000
    North Jersey
    Club:
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of right now I have half day on the 15th.
    Unsure if going to Nathans or if will be tailgating from 2pm on at GS.

6. big_stuartie

big_stuartie New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Scotland

Sounds like ye's are gonnae whoop it up guys.

WIN WIN WIN

Wish I could even listen to the game via my PC but no luck with the net radio search :(

7. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    get drunk for the metro boys...

so any early #s as to the bus yet?

8. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Will people be able to buy the $20 tix at Nathan Hales? Or is it advised to get em before hand? I assume the latter....

9. Calcio#20

Calcio#20 New Member

Jul 10, 2003
    N.J

Dude if you cant get the $20 tix @ have to pay $25, I'll personaly buy you a $5 drink at N.H. Your Italian friend is on his own.

10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Haha. You're a good bloke! (ok done with whole silly British words thingy) :)
    My italian friend has school and can't make it, so it'll just be me unfortunately. I've been passing out printouts in school, posting them in places. I'm even gonna run an ad in the sports section of my school paper. My Business Manager is gonna be pi$$ed, but this is Metro! :)

11. Calcio#20

Calcio#20 New Member

Jul 10, 2003
    N.J

OK MATE PIP PIP TALY HO

12. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY

We plan to run 2 buses from Nathan Hale's to Giant's Stadium and back. Cost is $ 10, round trip (quite a deal for NYC, mind you). Count on $ 1 tip for the driver if you please. No, the bus does not include a match ticket.

god you're stupid, LEARN TO FOOKING READ!!!!!!

13. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    [​IMG]

Flyer says that tickets are available at Nathan Hales, therefore (unfortunately) this is a valid question.

14. fatboy slim-fast

fatboy slim-fast New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Jersey/NYC
    okay... this maybe a stupid question but will Nathan's let me and my friends in? We are "under age"? Thanks

15. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    There will be 50 tickets for sale at Nathan Hale's on the day, just in case you needed another reason to get out to Hale's for the party.

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    glad to see you follow your own directions.... :rolleyes:

17. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Thank you very much for a calm and truth filled answer. It was much appreciated. One more litle question..... are those tix $25 or $20? just out of curiosity... nothing more, nothing less....

18. Congorilla

Congorilla New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    WE WANT THE EFFING CUP!

The tickets will be $20, and they are being provided on consignment by the MFO. If U guys buy them up Saturday we will get more! But these will ONLY be sold with bus tickets. U can buy a bus ticket seperately but not a match ticket. It is a package deal and the idea is to get everyone mobbed up like a road trip and march into the stadium right off the buses.

Look, I don't want to dissuade anyone from supporting this event in their own fashion, but if there is ANY WAY HUMANELY POSSIBLE to be at NH Wednesday afternoon I urge u to BE THERE. Many of you don't know why there is such loyalty to this bar. You'd have to know the about the '98 Bora Bora playoffs when there were maybe 20 of us in NH and at least that many rude ass happy hour Jank-eeez fans and Carl switched the big screen over to the Metro-Columbus game and basically lost half his business for the night.

Fast forward to the 2000 playoffs against Dallas and Chicago and the place was PACKED like a soccer sardine can. Innocent bystanders were BLOWN AWAY and compared the scene to the fervor of a Super Bowl. I, personally have never witnessed anything so dramatic and emotional, not even Bama upseting Miami inside the '92 Sugar Bowl or USA - Portugual inside Suwon Stadium. I guess because in the end we lost to Chicago so harshly in the final minutes and eventhough everyone had their wind knocked out we were all there together in our true home, a home that Giants Stadium will NEVER BE, a place where we are ALWAYS WELCOME, picking each other up off the floor.

If you have never felt the 1,000, 000 kilowatt Empire Electricity inside #6 Murray St., there will never be another chance like Oct 15th. Even the band, The Spunk Lads, is fronted by a Die-Hard Metro '96er, Roger Paz. His guitar player had rotator cuff surgery, last Tuesday and is getting up outta the bed just to play this gig! They asked to be paid in Cup Final/Bus Tickets! And if you dig 70's punk or ska u will dig their Metro slanted songs, they even throw metro scarves into the crowd at every show. Word has it that while onstage last week at Southpaw in Brooklyn, Rog, The Pazmanian Devil, held up his bar scarf and kissed it for Open Cup good luck!

So everything RedandBlack Karmic will converge on NH next week. Budweiser is giving stuff away, Metro are providing some nice soccer gear giveaways, Hell, we have even invited original Metro MC, Tommy Smythe! All u have to do is show up ready to sing and Publicans Carl, Ritchie, The Lads, and THE ESC will do the rest! Skip work, quit yer job, hock yer Moms car, I don't care.... JUST BE THERE! There just isn't any parking lot burger good enough to top this. THIS IS HOW THEY DO IT THE WORLD OVER. We will drink and dance together and then we will march en masse into that big drafty barn, horns, drums, songs-a-blazing and make it ours! And sick bastards that we be, win or lose we'll get back on the bus after, and GO DO IT AGAIN!

Please support this, as we are nothing without all of you, together.

WE WANT THE EFFING CUP!

19. big_stuartie

big_stuartie New Member

Sep 21, 2003
    Scotland

I wish I knew about this bar before I was in NYC.

Would have gone for the DC game at home where we got beat 2-0 as I got in too late to go to GS

Ah well.

20. Martin

Martin New Member

Aug 18, 1999
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm with you Congorilla! By the way, what do they have on tap?

21. Kevin

Kevin New Member

Wouldn't miss it for the world....

22. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    now i wish i lived in NY

i wish i had my own pub/bar up here in NW Jersey

23. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Newcastle, Boddingtons, Tetley's, Guiness.

It's a pretty good mix really.