Escalada seeking move to Ecuador

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by RSL Fortaleza Menina, Jun 24, 2009.

1. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    According to this, Gordo Escalada will travel back to Quito after his current contract opens June 30. He is open to hearing offers from a number of Ecuadorian clubs, including LDU Quito, Barcelona SC, and/or Emelec.

Is it fair now to call Escalada what we all suspected after training day #1: a huge bust? Please Garth/Jason... no more diet jobs.

[​IMG]
    Gordo: hungry for something new

2. RSLxeneize

RSLxeneize New Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The kid wanted to play. He was not given the chance he deserved with the skills and experience he brought to the team. Coaching staff insisted on a tried Yura and put all their chips on him, now it is too late to convince Escalada to stay as they offered him the rest of the year, but his mind was made up. So a bust on the coaching staff's decision to waste him on the bench without playing time: definitely YES.
    no worries though, Yura is Back!

3. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    He was invisible every time he was on the field, that may be why you think he didn't get a chance.

Hopefully RSL will use his roster spot on someone who can make a difference.

4. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's how I saw it. It wasn't that he looked bad or anything, but he definitely didn't do anything to impress me in any of his playing time.

I think sometimes overseas players come to MLS with an attitude that the league sucks and that they should definitely start over because they are obviously better... but it ain't necessarily so. And, then they are insulted when they aren't automatically a starter.

From a Lagerwey and Kreis perspective, Escalada was probably insurance against Espindola not actually returning. Once Espindola returned Escalada needed to demonstrate he was better than the other forwards on the roster, and he didn't.

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good thing we pushed to keep this guy all during the offseason just to send him off (pretty much) half way through the season... So, let me get this straight, during the offseason when we "needed a left winger and a striker" we got.... Espindola? Cox (draft)? what?
    Not too happy with this offseason if it is a sign of what we should expect in the offseason.

6. rimshot15

rimshot15 Member

Jun 11, 2009
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't blame him for wanting to go. Add him to the list of internationals that expected to come to the league and be a first teamer as long as they were here (Cordoba, Mantilla, etc). Oh well. No point in wasting an international spot to a guy that isn't going to break the first team.

7. KNVB22

KNVB22 Member

Apr 13, 2009
    SL
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Some of it was a bit of bad luck...when we needed him and there was a chance for him to play...he was hurt.

8. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville
    I think RSL is going to get a bad rep among agents of South American players. The thing with having an All American-All MLS staff gives, in my opinion, them a chip on their shoulder, and makes them look more at guys like them and fit their mold.

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I figure is the case as well.

With Escalada not even in the 18 the past few weeks, this was probably inevitable, and with the contract guarantee date of 1 July just a week away, the timing is right.

10. usasoc

usasoc New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    He was waived not the other way around. What skill and experience are you talking about? Did you ever go and watch even one practice?He was horrible . It was a bust by Garth again bringing him in like Deuchar.

11. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
  12. Black Prince

Black Prince Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Any chance RSL is now looking for another holding midfielder (or utility player a la Russel)?

13. Boz

Boz RSL Family

Jul 14, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
  14. embratsu

embratsu Member

Aug 30, 2007
    Boston
    well, perhaps now we can afford to purchase the other half of that Olave guy... his brain.

15. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so do we fill the open spot or do we just keep it open...
    also, that davies move just keeps looking better and better eh ;)

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont think we need another one of those, we have 3 that have proven they can start (beckerman, will, and ned), and 1 (jean) that has huge potential. Also Clint could fill that role I think.
    What we need, in my opinion, to fill this open roster spot is either a winger or a striker (hey, isnt that what we were "looking for" this past offseason?)

17. Black Prince

Black Prince Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Right. How many games will Beckerman, Johnson, and Alexandre be gone?

I do not think Ned has the motor or size to be successful as a holding mid in a 4-3-3. Mathis in a holding midfielder role brings back memories of Kreis doing the same thing in early 2007. <shivers> Square hole, round peg. And, we all know that Mathis does not have the motor to fill in for Johnson or Beckerman. Mathis + Ned as holding mids in a 4-3-3 would be inviting disaster.

Maybe adding another holding mid with the spot opened by Escalada's departure would be overkill, but adding a utility player a la Russel might be helpful. I still think RSL should have attempted to make a run at Dax McCarty this off season while he was on Hyndman's (sp) sh*t list. Meh...

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With those guys only being gone 3 games at the max, it isnt worth it, to me at least, to go waste the open spot on a position we seem to have some good depth. With this 4-3-3 formation, we are using all but 1 or 2 of our strikers now, that seems like a scary concept if one gets injured or if we need an offensive spark

19. neophyte

neophyte Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    I haven't really thought about how the Ecuadorian teams would compare to RSL or the league to MLS.... there have certainly been some Ecuadorian players in recent years that have done well in Europe, and LDUQ had a great run in the Libertadores and a nice first leg of the Recopa Sudamericana. Would Escalada really be good enough to do well at LDUQ, Barcelona or Emelec?

20. JesusKreis

JesusKreis Member

Nov 15, 2008
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has Nimo been getting any quality minutes with Portland? Maybe he will come back to take that spot, unless we're eyeing some other player.

21. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I have seen, he is only being used as a late sub in matches.

22. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    The Timbers have that Suzuki from the J-League who played in the World Cup in 2002. My understanding is that he's the key to their team, and has kept Nimo on the bench.

23. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    If we're not--at minimum--eying any other players...something is seriously wrong.

I'll be shocked if a new player isn't brought in as early as the 1st week of July.

24. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does RSL sit in terms of the pecking order for big-name players that might be able to find themselves again in the MLS with playing time?

With our need for outside mobility and attack - I find myself wondering about DMB.

He was a player - he got hurt - he hasn't gotten back. Would a stab at signing him be *that* big of a risk? Would RSL even stand a chance of getting him if he returned to the MLS?

Now understand me - I don't think he should even be seeing the field with the USMNT right now - but I saw him the 2007 Gold Cup Finale the other night, and the dude just flew up the field...it reminded me of his potential (past, maybe future).

Perhaps an MLS stint would do him and an adventurous MLS team some good - help him get his confidence and fitness and timing back - and benefit the team to boot...because we all know his pace would still make him effective in this league.

25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bring back Freddy Adu, guy isnt getting time in europe and is still young (barely 20) so a move back for a couple years wouldnt hurt. Also the "freddy mania" isnt going to be as strong so he wouldnt be as big of a challenge to sign in my opinion.

Also, doesnt Nimo already occupy a roster spot? even though he is on loan, i thought he still was taking a spot... maybe I am wrong on this one.

at the very least, RSL should be flying a couple guys in asap that fill the needs of this team (striker/midfielder)