Ernie back to Holland

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by lkeniston, Nov 11, 2004.

1. lkeniston

lkeniston Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Richmond, Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goff dropped it at the tail of one of his articles... um, why? It's finally clicking good for Ernie & the team?! And where - 1st div, 2nd div?

2. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Someone mentioned on here that he was aiming to return to VVV-Venlo, the club where he started his professional career so he could finish there as well.

3. gnat

gnat New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    If it's the same article i'm think of, he said Earnie wouldn't comment on the rumor.

My guess (if he goes) is that DCU/MLS has told him he gets a pay cut if he signs a new contract so he is exploring other options.

I like Earnie, i'd like him to stay around, but i'm in the "he's over payed" camp.

The big question is how this will play into the Draft next week :confused:

-dave

4. lkeniston

lkeniston Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Richmond, Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started scratching around bigsoccer & I guess it has already gotten a bunch of discussion (still news to me).

From what one VVV-Venlo fan said, it's a tiny, classic 2nd Div side. They're doing well & threatening to get promoted to the 1st Div where they'll have to enlarge their 5,998 seat stadium (and I thought the Kickers played in a tiny place!!!)

Damn, I'd be sad to see him go. Doubly so, cause I've never seen a Dutch 2nd Div game on FSW & wouldn't have a chance in Hades of seeing him play again!

5. lkeniston

lkeniston Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Richmond, Va.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New hope - some interest from bigger club 1st Div RKC Waalwijk BUT they have no money from what I can gather from the translation - ach, Ernie & this money thing again :)

http://www.rkcwaalwijk.nl/t2bcms/nieuws.php?nr=0065

Maybe he's going over there to keep tabs on DMB for the Bruce? If Ernie goes 1st Div, I might get to see him on FSW when they play PSV or Ajax - hey, is John O'Brien still alive? I haven't heard about that guy for a dog's age!

6. RFK 315

RFK 315 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    ...lurking...
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JOB finally returned to the Ajax 1st team recently, and left the game in the 80th minute with ANOTHER hamstring injury. Much as I admired his play in WC02, it doesnt look like he'll be back anytime soon, if ever. Check the Yanks Abroad threads for the neverending saga...

As for Earnie- I wish him well, but don't feel we should keep him as his current payrate.

7. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    It's kind of sad to hear this rumor now, since Earnie is playing his best soccer since he got to DCU.

I've been very critical of him, especially as a max salary player. He's really been bringing it in the playoffs though. A prototypical clutch player. No wonder he leads the USMNT in World Cup Qualifiying goals.

8. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I think Earnie's had a great year. However, his salary could pay for 2 good players. I think the bottom line here is that he and his family prefer living in Holland, and the financial aspect is just secondary.

9. argo15

argo15 Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck seeing Dutch soccer on FSW.

10. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Earnie has his "A" license and eventually wants to coach. He may get some opportunities in the Netherlands, but I would love to see him back in the US, possibly in MLS, as an assistant and eventually head coach. He is mature, has discipline, knows how the pro game should be played, and is familiar with how to teach the fine points of the game from his association with the great Dutch youth player development system (I don't think he participated directly in it, but that system fed players into the Dutch leagues). I think he could be a superb coach, for all the above reasons and because he has a long association with the Bruce and a shorter association with Peter Nowak, who is clearly a fine coach as well.