Erik Soler New GM/Sporting Director

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Blue Note, Nov 25, 2009.

1. guyricardo

guyricardo Member

Jul 10, 2003
    Newark
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the things that keeps coming back to me regarding Soler's lack of MLS experience was an article about using a team approach in the front office. One that would theoretically reduce the burden of figuring out the intricacies of MLS rules. Took me a while but I finally found the article.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/soccerblog/item_Gb3YsEpXN5XBI8RkCNwR0H

Here are the important parts:

I also recall Tab Ramos and others identified as looking to work with the team following the finale at Giant's Stadium.

So while the SD adn HC will be the most important, they won't be alone in finding players.

2. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has fail written all over it---too many cooks spoil the kitchen.

3. SlowFox

SlowFox Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Not only that, it's a whole lot of nothing. Subjective goals which are difficult to understand and impossible to verify. Sounds like the people hired will be walking around the office talking about how good they feel and how the "vibe" of the team is perfect, sort of like a hippie commune (no offense to hippies).

Also sounds a bit like Charles Wang's novel vision of how a team should be run, you can see how that's worked out with the Islanders.

4. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    so do we expect an announcement today now that the w/e is over? or are they waiting for a work permit thingy?

5. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently you haven't been paying attention to this years Islanders. They are a young, hungry, entertaining team now. RB would be luck to field a club like them. Nothing but upward potential with guys you can like.

Even though Rick DiPietro still has 12 years left on his redonkulous contract.

6. Carbonero

Carbonero Red Card

May 10, 2008
    This whole thing is beyond ridiculous. It's the only reason I haven't bought season tickets yet. There is only so much I can take . At this point I would have accepted Ornalfo on the sole basis that he actually has been involved with MLS .

7. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're working on his work permit thingy and agoof is in charge of taking care of it....

Expect iit to take another week at least based on his history of botching up paperwork and visa issues. Soler will eventually fly in and agoofs secretary will issue an e-mail either blaming the delay on Solers agent or IK Start didn't fax the paperwork back in time.

8. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I'm also waiting to purchase to see what the team structure will be...whether its the coach or some kind of front office #2..they need a guy with MLS experience (not agoos). Its hard to see this working without it.

9. viper

viper New Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Paramus, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Ives:

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/11/monday-morning-centerback-on-the-red-bulls-fire-and-potential.html

10. SlowFox

SlowFox Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Here we go again: "young", "hungry" and "entertaining". I could equally say Red Bull were "colorful". Leagues are rife with teams having "upward potential". Objectively, they've accomplished little to nothing since the regime change.

You're not really saying that your aspirations for the Islanders are that they not be out of the playoff race before year's end, are you? If not then let's wait until they actually win some meaningful games before deciding Wang's "vision" has merit.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, just my $.02.

11. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My theory is that Ives doesn't know anything and is just putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5. He gets regularly scooped by Brian Lewis and Goff, so I'd take anything he says with a massive grain of salt.

13. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping you're right cause that group just feels like

[​IMG]

14. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *shakes head*

15. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I hope this is correct. Hopefully Soler takes stock of the situation in the next week or so...and realizes what Richie has accomplished in the league and with this team and makes the right call.

16. Carbonero

Carbonero Red Card

May 10, 2008
    I told you agoos was going to be a part of things next year.....

17. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agass will never leave. He is like Bil Murray in the move "What about Bob?" he never leaves........

18. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    This is why I only bought the 4 pack which went on sale today. (Includes opening game).
    I think of it as just enough to support their stadium effort, not the organization.
    Other than that, I'm not willing to enable the dysfunctional, alcoholic, homeless, mentally handicapped entity that is RBNY looking for a handout/beer money/reward for stupidity/futility.

19. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cant help but feel that the 2010 season will be decided within the next few days--either light at the end of the tunnel or a repeat of this season that just concluded...or worse. Given this team's snakebit history I'm not holding my breath.
    How horrible will it be when the team self destructs next season in their spanking new arena with all the press coverage!!

20. idriveavw

idriveavw BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    not homeless anymore. otherwise, you're pretty much spot on.

21. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bora round 2? Redemption for Clavijo? Your guess is as good as mine...

22. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some more perspective on Solér, courtesy of BS poster Start Fan in Exile:

23. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stumbled across this on YouTube. I have no idea what he's talking about, but I'm hoping he brings the Norwegian blondes with him to New York and leaves the red nose at home...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C61x3ov92gs&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube- Rødnesedagen Norge - Kathrine og Erik Soler[/ame]

24. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think people were questioning his commitment or charecter...just his knowledge and qualification to lead an MLS sporting division in a business structure and syatem that is totally opposite of where his experiance lies.

So what he turned around Start? What does that prove? That he was able to spend new cash injected into the club and improve results. Can't do that in MLS. He made good moves and player signings..great but can he do it when he has a lot less control over who he can sign and what he can sign them to? MLS will test is team building and budgeting long and short term ability.

He proved he can appoint a bad head coach? Great. He will fit right in then, :rolleyes:

I just don't see this guy as someone that is going to magically change our team's sporting direction and culture. Especially if he chooses to ignore the screams from the fan base that know more than him that he needs a qualified MLS experianced manager...not to mention the grave error of keeping Agoos on as his advisor.

Its almost like they want to be bad and have no one care about their stupid soccer project.

25. Blue Note

Blue Note New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Pawling, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm just trying to offer more information from someone who is familiar with him. If you want to discount it or think it doesn't matter much, then fine.