The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #5326 The Irish Rover, May 1, 2023
    Last edited: May 1, 2023
    No. The problem is that the current coach, an Australian with just 2 seasons of head coaching experience, all of it in the A-League, is out of his depth.

To be clear, he was very successful in Australia - the equivalent of the Supporter's Shield and MLS Cup in successive seasons - but his team's outstanding qualities were things like "self-belief", "tenacity", "fight", etc. In Ligue 1 people demand more. Much, much more.

He's gone straight from a league that's not a whole lot better than USL to Ligue 1, which means he started with a credibility gap, plus a language barrier, from the get-go. He's clearly lost the dressing-room, in much the same way and for very similar reasons to Bob Bradley at Swansea but Jesse Marsch, to be fair to him, didn't at Leeds.

Every player looks bad in these situations, but defenders' and goalkeepers' errors are more obvious so the terrace ire is focused on them.

2. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I posted this on March 12th. They've played 6 games since and picked up 2 out of 18 points, slipping to 10 points and a 16+ GD from safety.

At this point, it's the coach.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Zoukrou is 19 and has already looked better than Erik the two games he's played.

4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Nothing. That's what he is, overhyped and underwhelming.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So I take it when relegated, he'll be joining them in Ligue 2?

6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Since he's registered with them and not Man City, the answer is probably yes.

Whether he actually sees a Ligue 2 pitch in their colours (and for how long if he does), is sold to another club or is transferred within the City Group network is another story.

Part of it may have something to do with where Bruno Irles lands in the summer. Already looking pretty good when he was in charge, his departure led to some head-scratching. Given what's happened since since he left, he should be in demand in the summer.

Maybe he'll take EPB to his new destination.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They'll be officially relegated next game.

9. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Update: they are now officially relegated.

(EPB went the full 90 in a 4-0 defeat at Rennes.)

10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started:

It's 1-1 in the 82nd.

11. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    That's how it ended. EPB picked up a yellow, seems to have played OK.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    2-1 loss. Weah's LOSC next week.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #5339 The Irish Rover, May 28, 2023
    Last edited: May 28, 2023
    It's irrelevant now. The only question is whether he's staying down with them next season or if he'll get a move.

I can't imagine anyone in that dressing room is thinking about anything other than "when will this nightmare end".

Ligue 2 isn't that bad a standard at the upper end and, with his contract up this time next year, he'll have shop window for his abilities and maybe Troyes will bounce back. Wouldn't put any money on it though. A season like this will leave its mark across a club

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Or he could return to MLS. He's not going to make much in the Ligue 2. And the quality is arguably lower there.

16. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Overhyped? Yes, at one time (before the rise of Wes, Claudio, Tyler, etc.) he was mega-hyped. I would say at his height he was easily one of our five most hyped prospects (along with guys like Cameron Carter-Vickers, who at least has become a very respectable, if not Top 5, guy for us). But recently? No.

17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird that they played all their matches at the same time yesterday. I assumed it was the end of the season.

freisland repped this.
  18. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Some leagues do the simultaneous starts for (at least most of) the last 2 matches. La Liga has 9 games at 1 PM Eastern today for matchday 37.

I'd imagine it helps teams achieve things more often while actually playing, as opposed to winning the league while sitting at home.

19. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Builds excitement around qualification for the final CL and EL places as well as the final relegation slots. "Can they do it today? Tune in and find out!" milks the TV audience for all it's worth.

Something you have to do if the destination of the championship is known 6 games before the end of the season, or even before the season kicks off

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Inarguably IMO, certainly outside Ligue 2's Top Six.

There's a big, big drop in quality once you exclude the likes of Metz, Le Havre or Bordeaux.

21. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always thought spreading out the games was better for TV. They probably aren't crazy about simultaneous starts except when they get huge audiences

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I don't see that happening. He was in Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, Austria and now France. I wonder if he's open to Germany next.

23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He was chasing the big breakthrough and the big payday that goes with it. The thing is he's been in Europe for 5 years now, with 2 seasons battling Ligue 1 relegation as his career peak and with him turning 27 next April, he must know that that's ever-less likely to happen.

In the meantime, MLS has kept improving and the salaries have gone up accordingly. He'd be foolish not to consider coming home.

In his shoes, if there's an offer from an EL side in Holland, Belgium or Switzerland I'd give Europe one more shot. Otherwise, I'd come back.

24. This is done to prevent collusion between two teams, profiting from the knowledge of the result of a competitor.

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I met a Porto back from England who just got the drop in France, headed to Mississippi and the MLS big dance...