The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think our central defensive pairing has been the issue though. Indeed Berhalter has one of the best defensive records of any USMNT coach.

And in the Canada game we started Chris Richards, a center back starting and playing well for a Bundesliga team and Miles Robinson who was one of the best performing players with the national team last year. Robinson didn't do great on the goal, but he was fine the rest of the game. I don't think at this point that EPB is better then him or Richards (or Zimmerman).

I do think if he continues to play and have this form there's a very strong argument for EPB over McKenzie. He'd be playing more regularly at a higher level.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  2. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    It is NOT a good idea. Let him settle at his new club. It could be
    quite disruptive and unlikely he'll get a lot of minutes anyway.

There is always a chance in summer to give guys like him a look for
    a final spot on roster.

3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean he’s been there since the beginning of the season and we’re talking about a window that’s six weeks away. If you think he’s one of your best four center backs you of course call him up and it’s not really that disruptive. This is the last window of World Cup qualifying, this is precisely the time Berhalter should be calling up his best possible roster.

Winoman repped this.
  4. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    After looking like his career is in the tank, he finally gets his shot and is playing great.

Why would you want to mess with that?

It is incredibly disruptive to play 1/2 way around world (and lots of flying during those days) and back during these breaks. It is just a bad idea to pull him away, try to integrate him on the fly with teammates he's (basically) never played with, and hope the results will be good. (that is- if he gets on the field)

I'd rather see Brooks (who started this weekend)

5. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean I'd like to see Brooks get called up too, but it's not at all a bad idea to call up EPB if Berhalter deems him worthy. It's a do or die window in terms of making the World Cup, but also it's not like clubs are generally doing a ton during international breaks. If he's good enough he should be there. And if he continues to start and look as good as he's looked, things won't be so fragile that one trip during an international break is going to mess with that.

And I'm sure EPB himself would jump at the opportunity to be on the roster if it's there.

twoolley and Winoman repped this.
  6. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would the Canada game be anything to go by when Robinson hadn't played a competitive match in a few months and then was thrown into the toughest tilt in all of qualifying?

It also wasn't the complement of Robinson-Zimmerman that's proven so reliable. It was Robinson-Richards, which was oil and water the previous time they played together too.

The issue was Berhalter's man management is suspect not to do things like give players out of his offseason the easier game too (El Salvador) to get re-acclimated. The same thing happened with Aaronson who also struggled at Canada. But he's had a good wcq'ing campaign and that shouldn't sully it.

And he has tinkered too much with the cb pairing after he found a combo that worked because the calls to integrate Richards were too loud. He either should have integrated Richards before wcq'ing or little if at all during it w/ no friendlies in-between. Richards has been very bashful about progressing the ball, hasn't been on the same page when it comes to ball reception, or covering for each other. It's one thing to rotate, sub in, and tinker w/ attackers. It's another to do it w/ your defense.

Miles, Zimmerman, & Brooks should have been the main cb's. Rest would just play out of desperation. And going fw the likes of EPB shouldn't be tried out until summer comps to see if they may help you at the WC.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe very strongly that you’re really exaggerating here. How many players have to do this every international window? They manage.

adam tash and gomichigan24 repped this.
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    4-1 with 10 mins to go now.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I really hope he's done enough to be called into camp next month. Even if he's only say 6th in depth, it'd be a nice reward and some proper motivation for him to keep going.

11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Palmer-Brown went the full 90 minutes as Troyes lost 5-1

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's going to be a rock on Ligue 2.

13. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not getting relegated

why do you always seem to predict the worst case scenario for all of the yanks abroad?

Ghost and tomásbernal repped this.
  14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Because he can.

tomásbernal repped this.
  15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    It's in the hope that he can eventually post his "Told ya".

chad, gjackson2207, ChicagoVT and 3 others repped this.
  16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They aren't exactly in the strongest position. One point out of the relegation zone, with all three clubs behind them only one point back. I don't know if they will go down or not, but they definitely are not in a secure position at all.

17. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once the spirit is broken, it often never recovers, and leads to a lifetime of cynicism and nihilism. Another way to put it...the failure of Project 2010 hit some people really haaaaard. :ninja:

18. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He's as least as likely to be sold (or more likely loaned) to another Ligue 1 side as retained for a promotion push.

His wages aren't sky-high, but they'll be a heck of a lot for a Ligue 2 side, especially not one of the yo-yo sides, and he'll be one of their more saleable assets.

If he performs as well as he has recently, Troyes will have a more valuable Ligue 1-caliber player in August 2023, whatever league they're in then.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He's really had a progressive career upswing. Went to the Netherlands, Belgium, Austria and now showing he belongs in Ligue 1.

Not too shabby for a youth NT star. So many of those fall off.

comoesa, The Irish Rover and Winoman repped this.
  20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Unfortunately they got stuffed 4-1.

EPB was subbed off on 82'. Troyes had gone 3-1 down 5' earlier, so it was probably tactical to chase the game.

22. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    1492894633642315780 is not a valid tweet id

23. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't clearly tell who was EPB (these twitter videos are always really grainy on my computer and I don't know why), but if my guess is correct then it looks like he bore a lot of the fault on each of those goals.

24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA