The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Does anyone know anything about the new man in charge? the announcers were saying it was his first game in charge in Ligue 1, but I'm assuming he has a past. Given that it was OL, maybe he played the 3-5-2 (played really defensively, so just about a 5-3-2) because the talent gap was massive. EPB was directing traffic and his passing did not show a lot of rust. Let's hope he earned another, or another couple, starts.

2. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He does, and a pretty successful one at that, in the D3 Championnat National, although he did have a brief stint in charge of Sheriff Tiraspol in 2016.

Since returning to head coaching midway through the 2018-19 season at relegation-threatened Pau FC, his record reads
    2018-19, Division 3, Pau FC - mid-table
    2019-20, Division 3, Pau FC - Champions & promotion
    2020-21, Division 3, Quevilly - 2nd & promotion
    2021-22, Division 2, Quevilly - 12th place
    To the extant that they have any meaning (and they're incomplete anyway) the stats suggest that he uses a Back 4 rather than a Back 3 and that he switches formations according to the division. At Quevilly in D3, he was wedded to a 4-4-2 "double six" last season and stuck to a 4-2-3-1 in D2 this year.

3. TrustingtheProcess

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 11, 2021
    Philadelphia, USA
    1483314252257665027 is not a valid tweet id

Thought he looked very good here. Not out of place by any means. With him being 24 going on 25 and on a free this summer, its a huge 6 months for him. Hope he can string together some starts and then who knows from a USNT perspective.

4. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As you said, this is a huge six months, and first four have to be devoted to establishing himself at Troyes. A callup this spring could derail him, and and would be really sad.
    If this manager plays more 2 than 3 cb formations, then it looks like a really tight race for playing time. Here's hoping he's seen the light and sticks with 3.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Here's hoping he can take the opportunity to make a starting spot his own. Isn't his contract over in the summer or the following summer?

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Unless there's a secret option or something (always possible), he should be free in June.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    His history is one of prioritizing security over anything else, so I think he'd take an extension if it was offered.

I doubt it'll happen though. He just hasn't performed well enough, and certainly not at a high enough level since moving to Europe to justify City extending.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not sure that's entirely fair. However, if he's offered an extension by city the pay will probably be better. OTOH, i'm not sure in a post Brexit world they can resign him. Can they? He doesn't come close to meeting the new requirements, and the setup is supposed to discourage signing Johnny foreigner just to fill up your loan army

9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    There's a Troyes fansforum which is not very busy (average home attendance is only 7k, so lack of traffic is a given)

FWIW they seemed reasonably happy with Eric
    I was skeptical when I saw that he was a starter in the end he did the job and he was pretty good he deserves to be seen again. High

He saved us on occasions against Lyon by blocking balls. He didn't struggle too badly in this match. Perhaps he's not at the level of a potential starter but as a replacement he could be very useful to us if he keeps performing like this

That some of our starters are absent, I don't mind. But where is the motivation of those who remain to earn their place? I am delighted to see that Palmer-Brown has played and shown that he wanted it! Well done mate! The others were bad! .

Today, we lost on a ridiculous penalty against a team with a colossal budget, with less than half of the starters. I don't know Irles [the coach] but I think he was right to change the defense. . . We can trust him, he himself was an excellent defender. Palmer-Brown justified his decision. On Wednesday [against Montpellier] I would not be surprised if Salmier, the least good of the defenders today, gives way to the young Biancome. ​

10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    They can. Brexit has changed the situation for (non-Irish) EU passport holders somewhat, but the situation for Americans, Mexicans, Japanese, etc. is the same as it was before.

That is, a contract with your registration-holding club is a matter for the courts, which will uphold it because British contract and arbitration law will sustain FIFA and/or Court of Arbitration for Sport decisions. Your WP and residency permits are separate matters for the Department for Employment and the Home Office respectively.

City or Chelsea can sign any number of Johnny Foreigners they want, but they won't get UK WPs and, in the unlikely event that they can't get one of them a WP somewhere that will pay (part of) his salary, that's their problem.

BostonRed and mschofield repped this.
  11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So, if City for some reason wants to re-up, and I would guess that ship has passed as that would have been last year's negotiations, he will have a choice to make. a bit more cash versus control of his own fate. seeing as he is now in control, i'd think it unlikely to hands the steering wheel back to city. but they do have cash money.
    I wonder if he goes back to negotiate, on his own, with Venice.

12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Which is why him getting the start and performing decently versus Lyon was so important. The previous coach obviously didn't rate him but there's a new man who has never been wedded to any particular set of tactics but does seem to choose a particular formation for the squad he has and the division he's in and stick to it. That gives EPB a real chance to make himself part of that lineup or even one of the guys the coach chooses a lineup to suit.

If he establishes himself as a regular rotor or better between now and the end of the season, being in charge of his own destiny leaves him with choices. If he can't, it leaves him with worries . . . or MLS, which isn't much of a worry TBH

Winoman, Ray Shoesmith and mschofield repped this.
  13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's a good player. He really should find something at this level, bottom of a big five league, or MLS.

Winoman repped this.
  14. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    I hope this is true. After all of this time I really don’t feel like I have a handle on what he actually is. Hope his Man C contract ends soon, but I fear if he shows some promise here they will extend a year in hopes they can recoup sosmething from someone.

15. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Yeah. The MLS of today, quality and perception wise, could do wonders for a guy like him. It’s nice to be at this point.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He'd have to agree to any extention. It ends in June. They've learned his value by now. Vienna loved him, but are broke. Venice wanted him, but not for enough money apparently..

17. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starts again today

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a/k/a "P-Brown"

19. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Didn’t know the Venice interest was real. I “hope” he plays out the contract and finds himself a true home. Could do wonders. Giv’em hell today EPB.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  20. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Wow, great chance to make himself a fixture in lineup

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  21. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Well that's a very big 3 points. I wasn't able to watch but 0-1 is usually pretty good for the backline.

22. Ray Shoesmith

Ray Shoesmith Member+

Valencia
    United States
    Nov 14, 2021
    Fantastic news. Of course Gio either didn’t get in or didn’t score, so there’s that.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Montpellier red in the 65th, Gio came on in the 85th.

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He got the start, which is fantastic, and went 85', which could mean he was gassed (not good), had taken a knock (fine) or simple time management (fine).

Interestingly, Troyes played a Back 4 this time, which might mean that the coach hasn't decided on the best lineup for the players he has available. Either way it's still good for EPB, because the CBs who start in very different backlines are the ones the coach trusts most.

Winoman, eliwood, adam tash and 4 others repped this.
  25. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    BTW, with 7 yellows (6 for Montpellier), was the game dirty or was the ref just nit-picking?