The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    With One's News??? :p

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    That's really cool Viking, good luck!

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Thanks. After 3 weeks I'm thinking of leaving this lunacy to join a private school haha

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Thank you good sir!

5. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't do it. Public schools need people like you. And the benefits are much better than what you'd likely get in a private school. Teacher pay sucks all around, but having a pension is great (if you've got one wherever you're teaching!)

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Great idea. I was just teasing a bit. I'm teaching in my hometown (here in Louisiana) and the kids are pretty much animals but I love them. We're out all week due to the hurricane which sucks as I miss seeing their faces. Low pay but I feel like I have purpose plus I can brainwash my kids to become Liverpool supporters so there's some positives :cool:

7. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liverpool? You're a terrible teacher and I rescind my prior comments. Go to private school. (You'd probably have to become a Man City fan, though, to keep from getting fired)

8. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Just in case because you just don't know ;)

9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Can't comment about the benefits side of things in the US, but the big problem about teaching in fancy private schools is the number of snowflakes you have to deal with. Having never really been challenged in their lives, they just can't handle the inevitable disappointments that come with getting homework and tests graded and not getting the results they believed they were entitled to.

Seriously, it's a real problem. Their kids are nice though :p

Gorky, maroonlaw and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  10. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    So funny, the Homer isn’t know he is in the home(France).

11. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    There was the potential for some YA-on-YA action today as Troyes took on Gioacchini's Montpellier.

Unfortunately EPB didn't even make the bench.

[​IMG]

LouisianaViking07/09 and edcrocker repped this.
  12. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He hasn’t made a squad since moving. Is he injured? Or still behind in fitness?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    https://www.lest-eclair.fr/id293902...atches-en-une-semaine-lestac-va-faire-tourner

In what respects those absent, the player gaining fitness are slowly improving. Adil Rami and Erik Palmer-Brown are back in training, but will they be with the squad? It's still unknown. Lauren Batlles "has carried intensive training on Wednesday and Thursday" to test "the engine" of these players.

PS: "Tester la caisse" is a hard expression to translate. Literally, to test the box (or cash register). In reality, it's the image of the mechanic going down there to see how the gearbox is doing, whether the car is ready to run or it needs more repairs. In football, it means the coach is not sure the player is ready to go and further views in training are needed. So more than "test the engine" is "to see what these players have to offer at this point" --but that is too far from the original text.

Gorky, LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He gets the start!

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He's made it to the Big Time!

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He went 90 mins in a 0-2 loss.

Gorky and schrutebuck repped this.
  17. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Looks like he subbed out in the 76th, actually. Only watched part of it, but he seemed fine in the context of this team. I think the substitution was an effort to add offense as they were already down 2-0. They conceded a penalty for the second goal, but it wasn't on him (saw misinformation that it was him elsewhere).

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Thanks for the correction. I saw that the club's captain was out for this match so might have explained his sudden start.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hopefully in January we can see some YoY action with Gioacchini facing EPB right after the break, on the 9th.

Although Nico's minutes may be negative numbers by then.

20. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    But still above EPB?

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Possibly.

The big diff being EPB is a ManCity Loan Army guy, while Nico is a Caen loanee. So Nico is trapped in Ligue 2 one way or another. EPB's situation, on the other hand, is worse.

butters59 repped this.
  22. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Too bad people that blame me for being negative proudly know nothing about soccer, otherwise I'd introduce them to your posts.

23. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rare loan up in leagues.

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Is it a loan? When a player, especially a young one, is "loaned" to a team in a higher division it's a LINO - a Loan In Name Only - because there are underlying agreements either obliging the borrowing team to buy the player at the end of the loan period or at least giving them the option to buy for a set price.

This is even more likely to be the case in France. The league has long had very broad powers for use against teams with rickety finances, powers that they have never been shy about using. That's become an even more urgent problem with the collapse of the bumper TV deal (in January IIRC).

Montpellier, who are a middle-sized club at the best of times (average home gate 13.5-14,000), who spent 13 million Euros on 3 young players last July-August and have had to sell last season's frontline (Andy Delort and the prolific Gaeten Laborde) to shore up the finances, probably don't have the money to buy Nico up front and would be extra-cautious about committing it if they do.

They'd have wanted to kick the tires before buying so a loan deal has been worked out. The purchase options in the deal have just been kept quiet.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    We'll find out by the end of the season, no?

Montpellier, for all their early heroics, is still a relegation candidate.