The Odyssey continues: Erik Palmer-Brown at Panathinaikos

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Jan 24, 2014.

1. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    y'all need to get down with the stretch music

a primer;

chad and Winoman repped this.
  2. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Pisscutter this made my day, maybe my week

a welcome respite and as a militant Gen Xer, I like to remind my kids that all we did was invent hip hop and the internet...Brace yourself

FirstStar and gogorath repped this.
  3. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    "Already"? Nope. Heading in the right direction? I'd say so, yes, but he's playing in the Austrian BL. Until he moves to a better league (or to RB Salzburg :thumbsup:) you couldn't say he's made the "good scenario" IMO but all the signs are good.

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently coached by brief Dortmund manager Peter Stoeger.

Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. Pisscutter

Pisscutter Member

Apr 15, 2005
    I am notorious at my school for ardently defending late 80's/early to mid-90's rap as the pinnacle of achievement in the genre. Students often come back trying to defend mumble-mouthed trap rappers as being on par with Public Enemy.

I'm gonna die on this hill. (What is going to be funny is in about 15 years when I am close to 60 and retiring from teaching- this old white guy yelling about some rap group from almost 50 years ago.)

randomnoise, gogorath, sXeWesley and 4 others repped this.
  6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Who was Sporting Director last season. Now he's taken on head coach duties as well. Reportedly he specifically requested that EPB be brought back. That's a real vote of confidence on Stoger's part and doubly so coming from a guy with 160+ BL1 games and a few CL games as coach under his belt,.

7. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Erik is a strange one to me. I really like his talent but his career is seemingly progressing behind the players in our pool that are ~3 years younger than him. I genuinely think he has the talent to be our #2 CB and a top 4 league starter but if he doesn't dominate the Austrian league this year, then when will it happen?

adam tash and onefineesq repped this.
  8. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its happening just happening slowly....reyna pulisic dest etc really are not the norm in terms of age and success.

9. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
    Interesting tidbit from @bshredder's appearance on the Total Soccer Show yesterday:

EPB's loan has a recall clause and City could look to place him at a higher level for the second half of the season if he continues to perform.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    solid news

11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wait, is that really possible? City U23s can recall him, yes, but you're only allowed to have three clubs in a year (play for 2). He started being registered with City U23s, moved to Vienna, and then transfering his registration back to city would be three. Can they loan him out again in 2020-21? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but man, take a look at the city U23s page, focusing on the outgoing players. You can almost hear the mooing.

12. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It'd surely be 3 separate clubs or teams rather than 3 separate moves, no? Otherwise every loan since the post-Bosman rules were brought in would have been season-long, but that hasn't been the case at all (e.g. Matt Maizga went from Chelsea to Nantes and back to Chelsea before moving on to Reading). Three clubs/teams means City can bring him back to Manchester before loaning him out again, as long as he doesn't play a competitive game for any of City's teams

BostonRed and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  13. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he was already with them last season in vienna...would be boneheaded application of rules to say he's already been with 2 or 3 teams when he only played for 1 team over the past 2 seasons.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure they don't count the City U23s unless he played a match. Plus, FIFA treats the parent club and reserve teams as the same team.

15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    true, but he was officially transfered back to city whenever the last season ended (july?).. I was thinking they were transfering him back to the senior side and loaned to the U23s, but he's registered to the U23s. Every official move is a transfer, but the others are right, a second loan would be a passthrough with city and wouldn't count.You can be rostered with three sides, and play for a max of two.

16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not sure the parent and sub clubs are treated as teh same, if they both play in sanctioned leagues. Sporting KC had to make official transfers to and from SKC2 in the USL

17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #4342 ArsenalMetro, Oct 8, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    That's because of MLS, not FIFA.

Like, Chris Richards isn't being loaned back and forth between Bayern and Bayern II.

Richards would be able to play for another team if he were sold/sent on loan in January, despite having played in both the Bundesliga and 3.Liga.

EPB may have been registered for the City U23s, but he didn't play. Even if he had, they aren't first-team matches, so they don't matter for the player movement restrictions.

If he had played for City in the League Cup, then went on loan to Austria Wien, he'd be locked to those two teams for 2020-21. As it stands, he's absolutely able to be recalled (and even play U23 matches when recalled), and then be sent out on loan again this season.

The Irish Rover and mschofield repped this.
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is because of the salary cap. Those aren't "official" transfers in the FIFA sense or those players would only be able to be called up once and then stuck until the next transfer window.

mschofield repped this.
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One correction on that. It doesn't always make sense, but youth matches do count as playing for the club for transfer purposes at least certain ones. Even though PL2 matches allow trialists to play, it is considered a match the same way a 1st team match would be. There's at least one Yank who hit this problem, but I can't remember who it was that couldn't go on another loan in the spring because he had used up his loan chances.

ChrisSSBB and mschofield repped this.
  20. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Turns out, we're both half-right.

FIFA limits players to playing official matches (emphasis mine) for two teams in a season.

FIFA has deemed U21 (now PL2) matches in England as official matches in the past, notably with the Hatem Ben Arfa transfer saga in 2014-15. He had played for Hull on loan and the Newcastle U21. Newcastle wanted to loan him to Nice, FIFA said sure, but he can't play there.

During that incident, the FA wrote a letter to FIFA clarifying their stance that U21 matches are not official matches. FIFA disagreed. The Nice loan was cancelled, Ben Arfa was released, and then signed with Nice in the summer instead.

So the FA's stated position is that PL2 matches aren't official matches. But, you'll be hard-pressed to find that clearly defined, because the term "official match" doesn't show up anywhere in the FA's 608-page handbook for the 2020-21 season.

So your clarification about EPB is correct. If he comes back to City this season and plays with the reserve team in a reserve match, precedent says he can't play for another club this season. But the FA thinks he should be able to.

As things stand though, EPB has only played for Austria Wien this season, so a recall and a loan back out would be totally fine.

ChicagoVT and BostonRed repped this.
  21. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, but if you read post #4269 of this thread several pages back, I told everyone the same news - first.

ardubois3, TarHeels17, eliwood and 3 others repped this.
  22. DirectK

DirectK Member

United States
    Jun 27, 2018
  23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There's nothing England loves more than poorly-defined legal precedents.

DirectK and BostonRed repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA can make some screwy decisions. PL2 matches do feature trialists, which certainly violates the letter of FIFA rules and sometimes those trialists are registered to *another* club in the EFL, breaking another FIFA rule on registration.

I pay attention to potential loan players who appear in PL2 matches early in the season, because it limits their options for loans to a full-year one.

ArsenalMetro and Winoman repped this.
  25. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always trust your posts more than that Brian Sciaretta, whoever he is.