Eric Wynalda is a punk

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Badattitude, May 14, 2005.

1. Badattitude

Badattitude New Member

May 31, 2003
    Anyone find this clown unlistenable? He uses the word "stupid" every few minutes which is totally un-professional....He called Alecko Eskadarian "stupid" today on ESPN....really he sounds like a spoiled little rich kid who had everything handed to him as his mommy drove him to practice in their Benzo...I saw him play his whole career....hell of a talent...sounds like he's the only one who knows how soccer is played.

2. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Old Waldo seems able to upset a lot of people. The impression I get of him from his co-commentries on MLS matches on channel five in our country is that he's just a laid back, confident guy. Any perceived arrogance probably stems from the fact that he could play a bit and he knows it.

3. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    He's actually my favorite commentator, because of his attitude.

4. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    He's definitely not professional enough. Give me Marcelo Balboa, who may be a little boring but is a better commentator.

5. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    Most commentators - regardless of sport - suck. SUCK.

6. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcelo Balboa barely knows that the ball is spherical... the guy is a joke... he was a joke of a player... he's a joke of an announcer... and it looks like he may be an equally big joke as a defacto GM...

Eric is a very good commentator because he knows a lot about the game... he didn't call Esky stupid... he said what he did was stupid... and it was...

Eric will only get better as he gains experience... Balboa will never get better because he doesn't know the game...

7. ZenCarver

ZenCarver New Member

May 26, 2003
    Richardson, TX
    They all SUCK, I say!

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the problem. That play was stupid. Give up a dangerous free kick in the late stages of a game down 1-0 for some crappy pass into a mess of people.

Don't shoot the messenger - that was a stupid play.

9. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcelo isn't Eric in the booth granted. Wynalda is just a polarizing, debatable commentator. he gets people to listen and if nothing else, keep coming to the boards to complain. As for Marcelo, I'd say he was a class player for and in the US during his era. His Gm abilities will be debated later but if nothing else, get him his due. Didn't anyone see that bike that he hit. It was the MLS 10 Season highlight today. That play alone puts him in the better half.

10. pupusa3000

pupusa3000 Member

May 15, 2001
    East Bay Area
    Yeah, but Waldo made it seem like it ruined his life. It was just play, whatever.

11. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    why can't JP do all the matches?

12. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    waldo's the man. I love his commentating. plus, the first nats game I ever went to he was the only one to sign autographs, and at MLS Cup a few years ago he took a picture with my wife when he was dashing in the stadium. so even if I didn't think he was an entertaining annoucer, I'd still give him the benefit of the doubt.

Go get 'em, Waldo.

:D

13. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    Stupid is as stupid does.

I don't remember him saying it about Esky today but a lot of stuff DC did was stupid. Taking Freddy out when there were others playing worse was one. Not loading the box when you're in stoppage time down a goal was another. I really don't mind it from Wynalda because he backed that stuff up and I bet most of the players would agree some stuff they do is stupid when they see it on tape. The LA guy was stupid for missing that gimme.

14. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Rob Stone = great
    Eric Wynalda = GREAT!

15. Lights Out

Lights Out New Member

Jun 21, 2004
    Facedown in a Gutter
    Eric Wynalda = Billy Packer

They are both critical ***holes who aren't afraid of telling it exactly how they see it. Most people aren't used to that kind of bluntness from an announcer and they either love it or really hate it. Some people like announcers who are glorified cheerleaders and others like announcers who aren't afraid to call someone out. Personally, I like him.

16. barkerjb

barkerjb New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    What I do not like about Wynalda is his inability to explain himself. He has an opinion that he is not afraid to say, but it seems he gets caught up in his own words. He strays too much away from the game itself. I also think that sometimes he shouldn't point out everything during the game. He is critical of everything, good or bad. Over emphasizing on a bad point is just not professional. Sometimes the viewer just wants to know what is happening in the game because they can't always see everything. Wynalda as a soccer analyst? Fine. Wynalda as a television commentator? NO!

17. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    Most people seem to like cheerleaders instead of critical thinkers and commentators. Ever seen something negative said about a local sports team on a local newscast? One of the Atlanta sportscasters hosts the coach's show with the University of Georgia's head football coach. I'm not sure how you retain any journalistic integrity doing that. How do you criticize someone effectively when you work for them???

In other works, I like Wynalda. If you have seen MLS, everything is not perfect. The NE field was crappy. It looked like my high school field during soccer season.

18. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I give Wynalda 2 thumbs up (3 if I had another hand). However, the repeated use of the word "stupid" was unprofessional today. Yes the play may have been stupid but there are more professional ways to say it.

The only thing that I don't like about Wynalda is the bad memories of him and Sampson from France '98.

Mace

19. BWMcTell

BWMcTell New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    NYC
    Agreed. I hate Wynalda with twice the rage of a thousand suns as your average Wynalda-hater...but that was a silly useless free kick taken by Esky.

Wynalda sucks, btw.

20. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    The fact that this thread comes up weekly is the reason that you should expect him to be there awhile.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of moronic statements by so called experts...

22. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I love when Wynalda starts all of his comments "you know what....that was a pretty good ball" or something along those lines.

Ray Hudson belongs in the booth. Just as opinionated as Wynalda is, but he's not an a**hole about it.

And what I can't understand at all, is how having people pissed off at the daftness of your statements makes you a good commentator. He gets a reaction, so he must be good. Hell no.

And Stone belongs on the sideline, that's what he was born to do, and that's what he should do.

Also, I love the whole ESPN, lets zoom in on that little biatch Adu, look at the anguish and pain in his face. Jesus, that was so stupid.

no production values watsoever.

23. Lord15

Lord15 New Member

Jun 20, 2001
    Southeast
    If this country can handle paul mcguire as a tv commentator, we can handle wynalda.

And he's pretty good.

24. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

huh.

pretty much everything else you say will be lost under the avalanche of stupidity from this statement.

but whatever. it's your call.

25. BWMcTell

BWMcTell New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    NYC
    Give me an announcer like Dr. Jack Ramsey. He knows basketball in and out from his years of coaching and he has a sense of humor and flair that makes listening to him insightful and enjoyable. I also like the way he says "Slammer!" :D