Eric Denton and Kelly Gray waived

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by guamster, Jun 25, 2009.

1. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Tweet from SJEarthquakes:

2. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I guess least one of the new signings will be a defender. I'm too lazy to look this up, but when's the deadline to waive players? Is it July 1st?

3. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    July 1 is the important date.

2009 MLS PLAYER RULES AND REGULATIONS SUMMARY

4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weak. Sauce.

This is tragic. We don't suck because Kelly and Eric (two local guys) aren't good enough. We suck because our starters aren't good enough.

The deadline is not exactly clear. June 24th, yesterday, was date to finalize rosters for the July 1st salary guarantee date. But that's kind of ambiguous. It would seem that you could change your mind right up to June 30th yeah?

But it could be that the Quakes waived Eric and Kelly late yesterday and it's only being announced now. I don't see anything on MLSnet about other teams waiving anyone, but it's crunch time for all rosters right now.

So we just sacked a couple of guys who are decent backups, and Kelly is certainly a utility player, but we kept our starters who suck. Now we're looking to sign a couple of new guys to start, so we are going to bench who? Our sucking starters? So Ramiro is going to earn $200K to ride the pine? Really?

Clearly, Elliott and Corrales both make more than Kelly or Eric. So waiving them would have saved us more cash. This is freaking pathetic. Kelly at least is a lot younger than Elliott or Corrales, so he can play a few more years, even as a backup. Whereas Corrales is pretty well done, and Elliott is past done.

I'm going to go puke now.

go quakes :(

- Mark

5. futbol monkey

futbol monkey Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    At least we now know that there'll be at least two new signings during the upcoming transfer window. I wouldn't be surprised if more moves arent made beyond the two new signings.

6. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kelly and Denton will do well in Houston.......:D

Isn't that where all former Quakes end up:p

On a more serious note, I really hope what ever plans the Quakes have I do pray the team improves drastically the 2nd half of the season.....I figure playoffs are out of the question regardless of what kind of resurgence they have...

7. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would require that we dump more senior players. We have exactly two open spots right now. I can of course, suggest other targets for the dust bin, but sadly, I expect those guys to remain on the roster until JD and or Frank get sacked. :(

go quakes

- mark

8. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gray is better than 1/2 the team... this is shocking but I guess it shouldn't be surprising considering how poorly the Quakes are run.

9. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think these make sense actually. Kelly started early in the season--I think Frank felt he had his chance and didn't seize it. Zaher took Denton's job, nothing more to it. We needed roster space for signings and we have it.

10. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

+1

I don't see a downside to this, as neither has shown much promise this season.

11. sjquakes08

sjquakes08 Member+

Jun 16, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't pass judgement until I see who we get...but please do well Quakes management..

12. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah those deadlines are confusing (like most MLS rules).

DC waived Louis Crayton (highly paid keeper who lost his job) according to Steven Goff. I'm guessing more waiver news will trickle....

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know Gray has been improving. That said neither has impressed very much and Denton has unfortunately become a bit of a liability, not unlike Garcia had.

14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree strongly, but you already knew that. ;)

It's not that I think that Kelly and Eric are great. I view them as serviceable backups, nothing more. My concern is that we cut these two to make way for new players, but had we cut Elliott and Corrales we would have saved a lot more cap space, and thus had more ducats to sign new players and we would still have Kelly and Eric as backups if need be. Keeping Elliott and Corrales means less money to sign new players and we are going to have either Elliott or Corrales on the bench at much hire wages than Denton or Gray.

We're going to get less bang for our bucks this way and we'll have expensive backups.

Or worser! JD and Frank are going to sign another defender and another striker and Elliott and Corrales will go back to starting and we will continue to suck.

We have to replace Corrales and Elliott in the starting lineup. That's just a flat out must. (And that means replacing Ribeiro in the starting lineup also.)

If we can play McD at d-mid, then all we need is a serviceable a-mid and we will have a better team. But, if we play Corrales and Elliott, or Corrales and Ribeiro, or Corrales and Convey, or any combination of the above we are going to suck. We might suck a little less with McD and Corrales, or slightly less with McD and Ribeiro (Antonio is faster and better on headers than either Corrales or Elliott.) We need to be playing McD and some a-mid not currently on the team, or better yet, some d-mid with some a-mid neither of whom currently wear our kits.

I see this move as too little, too late. We are trying to splint a broken little finger while ignoring a life threatening gash to our legs.

go quakes :eek:

- Mark

15. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    In other news, the Quakes announce the signing of Andorran international left midfielder Johan Nondescript and USL 3A reserve Bill Bland, a 32 year old forward out of Southwest Nebraska Community College.

John Doyle quote: 'I really pleased to announce these kick-ass guys. We were really lucky I ran into them playing beach soccer on my recent trip to Costa Rica.'

16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brilliant! Alas, I cannot rep you just now.

go quakes :(

- Mark

17. morgan1906ultras

morgan1906ultras New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    something is cooking, and I like that.:)

18. JohnWP

JohnWP Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    It's unfortunate only because they're both local guys who played with a lot of heart. Otherwise, very predictable. Kelly and Denton both had chances to nail down places and were unable to do so. I think McD will be moving ahead of Elliot on the depth chart, and we're going to sign a central defender. . . . hey, let's sign Booooooottthhh!

At any rate, I don't see this move as a big deal either way, it was a predictable move that will acquire positive or negative connotations when we see who comes in.

19. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, you're right. Predictable but unfortunate to lose guys with local connections. Gray, especially, I guess was the one native San Jose guy on the team. And he worked hard to get in shape and win a starting spot at the beginning of the season. You could see the writing on the wall though when he couldn't get on the field even with several guys out. And Denton really did play hard this season, at times seemed like one of the guys who was really trying to help them fight out of the rut they were in.

I tend to agree with markmcf8. It may be better to waive one of the higher priced players and keep an inexpensive versatile player like Gray. But they may actually need roster spots more than they need cap space.

20. OffMyLine

OffMyLine Member

Nov 30, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate losing guys I like. :( Good Luck Guys!

21. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last years transfer window signings turned the season around. If we can manage that again this year at the cost of Denton and Gray, than so be it.

22. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Difference is that last year I think the team left a lot of cap space for midseason transfer signings, and also spent much of the 1st half of the season evaluating players. The mid-season turbo charge was part of the plans for the first year, and the plan worked well enough that they almost made the playoffs.

This year they may not have much room under the cap, and they are sort of scrambling to find players I think. So I tend to doubt that they can sign a player like Hucks or Lima. They're opening up a couple of roster spots, but w/o the cap space, the signings might be more along the lines of Ribeiro than Lima.

23. Qrom

Qrom Member

Oct 26, 2007
    east bay
    Good move. lets face it, Gray and denton are not up to MLS. For their price they were okay bench guys, but not league beaters by any means. The F.O needs to up the quality to compete.

24. Xensik

Xensik New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good move. Our current defensive starters are playing great. My only worry is depth, but that won't be a problem if they bring in someone Huckerby-level only in the backline.

25. TonyHarrison

TonyHarrison Member

Sep 7, 2008
    San Francisco
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lol the negative reactions to this move are HILARIOUS.

thanks for the laughs, i needed them.

good move Quakes - keep up the steady improvement in the quality of the team.

unlike a lot of other posters, i'll wait to see who comes in before passing any further judgement than that.