Eriberto

Discussion in 'Italy' started by SueB, Aug 23, 2002.

1. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Eriberto faces a lengthy ban and perhaps even prison after being discovered to have a false passport, wrong name, wrong age (he's really 26 not 23), etc etc.

http://www.soccerage.com/en/13/g7068.html

The guy must've been on pins and needles for years waiting and worrying that this would catch up with him someday.

2. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, what a bizzare story! Too bad. I really liked him as a player.

3. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess Lazio must be pretty happy that this particular deal didn't fall through.

4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Did you mean they must be glad it DID fall through?

5. ruudboy

ruudboy New Member

Jul 6, 2000
    Sunnyvale
    Hhahaahahaha, this so crazy, but sometimes people gotta do what they gotta do to accomplish their goals, and make a better life for themselves, which he did, they say he grew up very poor, so i think it's understandable for what he did, and i have nothing but love for a guy like this, hopefully they don't throw the book at him or ban him from football for a long time, people have done a lot worst!

6. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would he be banned for having a false passport? Serie A got rid of the restrictions on non-EU players a couple of years ago. He doesn't need a false passport anymore. And if he is banned it will be for a year and he will be loaned out to a Brazilian club like Milan did with Dida. He will be back with Chievo in a year.

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Err yeah, that's it.

thanks

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  9. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    The story may just have broken, but the rumours started doing the rounds about six months ago or more. The "unconfirmed suspicion" (i.e. what really happened) is that, at the very least, Lazio were aware that "something was amiss" (albeit they probably didn't have the exact facts as they are now known) and that the fact that the deal thus fell through is not entirely "accidental". Credit to Lazio for some efficient due diligence.

10. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  11. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I would assume that Italy has laws against FRAUD. A fake passport + a fake name + a fake age is a lot of crap to be busted for. And they're porbably going to use this as an opportunity to appease the Italy-didn't-win-the-WC-cuz-there-are-too-many-foreigners-playing-in-Italy-taking-our-boys-spots camp.

12. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    He has been suspended for two years from playing in Italy. I believe this was a legal ruling, not by the league, so does not prevent him from playing in another country. Not sure if FIFA's earlier suspension rules that out, however.

13. mr magoo

mr magoo New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    South Shields
    the poor Bairn. All he ever wanted to do was play football and work his way out of poverty and now he carnt even do that. Anyone any Idea where the Poor fellow will head of next or will he return to brazil?

14. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Looks like my understanding of Italian must've let me down. Apparently, prosecutors (or whatever they're called) *wanted* to give him 2 years, but the ruling was only 7 months. That seems more reasonable to me, based on previous incidents of passport tampering.

15. mr magoo

mr magoo New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    South Shields
    7 months is still pretty poor. He should just be allowed to play. After all its only a game. And seeing as Italy dropped the non EU rulling This shouldnt of been problem.

16. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Yes, it's only a game. That's why it's completely wrong to commit a crime to play it. Look, he did a ton of wrong things. He forged a passport, lied about his age, lied about his name, etc, etc. He committed several felony level crimes. The Italian authorities should not look the other way. And I'm glad to see that FIFA isn't taking this lightly either.

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  18. mr magoo

mr magoo New Member

Jul 19, 2002
    South Shields
    Just an update on the situation.

Luciano/Eriberto's Susspension has been cut and he will be able for selection for chievo from the 23rd of January 2003.