Eras Draft - KO Stage

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by msioux75, Jun 29, 2020.

1. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Congratulations to all teams qualifying to the KO rounds.

Here's the Draw in your Road to the Final.
    [​IMG]
    Quarter Finals:
    @Sammer's Hammer vs @thebigman = A
    @tLB Odiseo vs @JJMM1 = B

@Perú FC vs @poetgooner = C
    @wm442433 vs @OT_CAPITANO = D

Semifinal:
    Winner A vs Winner B = SF1
    Winner C vs Winner D = SF2

Final:
    Winner SF1 vs Winner SF2

The Quarter Finals is open, all managers can send to me, his lineups. Then I'll post them in this thread.

Good luck to everyone!!!

2. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If only we were allowed to "steal" players from the knocked out teams to plug the holes in ours :D

thebigman repped this.
  3. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    You don't have confidence in your QF match? :rolleyes:

4. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just got hammered by Sammer, so no :ROFLMAO:

5. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    #5 msioux75, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Just one thing that I forgot. In case of draw, there will be a Penalty Shootout.

With their lineups, each QF manager, should sent me his list of 5 penalty takers.
    So, in case of draw, I'll post the result of voting and then the shooters from both teams and open a 2-days votes to decide which won at penalties.

6. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    QUARTER FINALS (B): tLB Odiseo vs JJMM1

@tLB Odiseo
    [​IMG]

@JJMM1
    [​IMG]

Perú FC repped this.
  7. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    QUARTER FINALS (D): wm442433 vs OT_Capitano

@wm442433
    [​IMG]

@OT_CAPITANO
    [​IMG]

Perú FC repped this.
  8. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
  9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I will pm u my order

msioux75 repped this.
  10. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    This time we line-up Modric-Nedved-Maradona with Modric and Maradona working more by the left hand of the pitch.
    So this time we have Modric against Matthaus instead of Ballack like in the first round and this is how Matthaus dealt with EE genius (at 0:24) :

In addition to these skills that Stojkovic had, Modric can press and defend brilliantly (ie without committing fouls, and either temporize or relaunch immediately the offensive, more likely).

But anyway, let's recall that Matthaus was picked BEFORE 1990. He won strictly nothing then and we know what happenned in '86...

Moreover, contrarily to what our opponent stated, Rivera will not strenghten their midfield at all since he did not defend and was simply unathletic. Moreover Rivera+Rivelino are two players who quite occupied the same zone and most of all, they're two players who temporized a lot, Rivera being really slow : so it's one too many and Beckenbauer who had no stamina, and already was repositionned at libero in club before 70, will not help.
    On the opposite, our midfield is ultra-dynamic. I can see not only Matthaus "living a hell" (to employ the same terms as our opponent) against Modric and fouling him but also Rivelino going mad like he did against Holland in '74. As for Beckenbauer, we propose him Nedved.

Our attack is way more dynamic too and unpredictable as for the moves they can initiate and are also able to press and be the first defenders to annoy the exit of the ball of their defenders, something that we can't see as something evident in front of us.
    Offensively, Maradona should find good positions in the IL/OL zone against Bergomi/Maicon, the kind of position he found against Italy in '86, this time well served by the Croatian maestro. Or it is Rummenigge, or Shevchenko, who well could be in this zone... it's turning. It's the weakest spot we immediately see but we can take advantage of/ on "zonal marker" Rijkaard, as announced by our opponent, + "midfielder of spirit" Briegel too.

Because, in international tournaments, Briegel played at midfield or in a back-5, but not in a back-4 for a good reason and our front-two + 1, our trident, can provoke anybody anywhere on the front of attack for big surprise.
    As for us, we have Cole who had the likes of Cristiano, Messi, Robben without forgetting Figo in 2006 (who even deserted his zone at one point) in his pocket so it should be OK against intermittent Savicevic. Cole is not Sergi who played LM in '94 and Nadal was not Cannavaro. Ahead of Cole, Modric already occupies well the space with his intelligent moves to thwart the opponent.
    As for Piola from the 1930's, good luck to him against proper defenders, without another real striker near him like he had with Meazza (so there's a lack of presence in the aerial game too).

A last thing, Beckenbauer as coach + Matthaus on the pitch = WC champs (in 90...) but it could have never been with both on the pitch at the same time from their own words.

Oh, and... both of us picked 'em pre-90 anyway, but Matthaus was not marking Maradona in '90. Rightly so to avoid repeating the same error as in '86. Revise your classics! Or it is bad faith maybe?

Anyway, fair game of the pre-match speech.

Now, good game to everybody!

Perú FC and msioux75 repped this.
  11. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    * Matthaüs was picked 1990-2020 but it doesn't change anything to the points.
    He was a midfielder only during 2 or 2 years and half during this era anyway (until the injury of April '92 = no euro).
    Rijkaard was picked 1990-2020 too.

12. OT_CAPITANO

OT_CAPITANO Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Feb 16, 2020
    Oke Lets start:

- First of all i really dont know why you put that video of Stojkovic to compare him to Modric... they're different type of players, its like comparing Figo to Xavi...i dont see the correlation there, im sorry. the closest to Stojkovic on the pitch is in my team in Savicevic.

- Matthaus in my team is from 1990-NOW era so he only knows how to beat Maradona :)

- If i recall correctly in your last match Laudrup gave Souness a hell of a job so i think Rivera one of the best AM in the history of the game might make Souness work for his money. i dont need Rivera to defend i have 6 defending players vs your attacking trio. Nedved is the only one with attacking power to join the attack which will still be 4 vs 6 and your fullbacks cant join the attack because Savicevic and Rivelino would punish them on counter-attacks

- Your attack is not as dynamic as your describe... its 3 players and the addition of Nedved. Modric is NOT the offensive juggernaut your are describing hes more of a creative, passing midfielder (Xavi type of player) its about stopping his passing lanes and we would have him under control. The plan is to stop the ball getting to Maradona and kill your attack. Defensively our team will mostly do zonal marking instead of man to man so any movements will always be well covered

- Coming back to Briegel playing in the line of 4 which he could play without any problems and more given that you dont have any wingers playing on that side. Rummenige is playing more of a SS and Nedved would have to leave his position to go attack on that side leaving pockets of space for Rivelino to drop into.

and to finish my defensive talk:

Modric is a great player but he is not the guy you are describing... PRIME MATTHAUS WOULD MOP THE FLOOR WITH HIM

MY ATTACK:

The difference between me and you is that i dont understimate your attack i know you have quality players and i have prepared my team accordingly. but you on the other hand underestimate my team COMPLETELY talking about Matthaus wont be able to handle Modric... and that Rivera doesnt make my midfield stronger etc

Rivera is one of the BEST AM in history he might not have the speed of Garrincha etc but what he lacks in speed he has in skill, class, agility, inteligence etc he will be dropping back to receive the ball and move into attack. here is a quick video to remind you of PRIME Rivera.

Rivelino will be looking to drop into that space left by Nedved when we defend, and when we attack he will have more of a SS role looking to drop into the box to create goalscoring opportunities.

On the other hand Savicevic will be roaming behind Modric back to receive the ball in space to go forward his ability to roam into the middle will be key in this match to get Cole out of position and out of his comfort zone. all 3 of AM have the quality to play many positions. making it unexpectedly dynamic and difficult to defend against.

the plan is simple Rivelino and Savicevic will stay on the wings Amoros and Cole will have to cover them but when they receive the ball their abiility to drift in the middle will be key to drag Amoros or Cole out of their comfort zone to defend in the middle and as my rival doesnt have wingers Maicon and Briegel could join and attack the space left by Amoros or Cole.

Piola on the other hand is a quality attacker his role in this match is to simply pin Nesta and Cannavaro in the box and look for goal scoring opportunities the attacking job will be in the hands of Savicevic-Rivera-Rivelino trio

Here is a example

[​IMG]

At this point you have 2 options and both have the same weak link, so choose your fighter

Option 1: let Cole and amoros go out of their comfort zone and cover Savicevic and Rivelino in the middle leaving the wings for Nedved and Modric to cover Briegel and Maicon

Option 2: let Nedved and Modric cover Savicevic and Rivelino leaving cole and Amoros open to cover Briegel and Maicon

in both options you have one weak link which is your superstar Modric. he wont be able to physically cover the wings when Maicon attacks. and he wont be able to cover Savicevic he aint build like that. so youre most important player just became your weakest link....cool right? good match tho

Perú FC and msioux75 repped this.
  13. OT_CAPITANO

OT_CAPITANO Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Feb 16, 2020
    you do know were not only taking into consideration national team performance right?

Yes Rijkaard was picked for that era because he mostly played as a CB in that era and thats why hes playing CB in my team

14. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    OK so let's continue.

So, you never watch Modric play? You're reasoning in terms of nominal positions only/ video games I think, not reality. But you're right, his first mission is to be a CMF : we don't necessarily need to be twelve in the box in order to score a goal, just find the right combinations and spaces.
    1. We faced Zidane, Laudrup all more difficult tasks than Rivera as far as 'one against one' goes. Di Stéfano too.
    2. Have you never seen Modric attacking prowness? You don't need Rivera now, while you were saying the contrary just before even demanding to Savicevic to defend.
    Have you ever seen modern fullbacks who never attack at all? I mean since the 60s or 70s more generally. Anyway in this case it is more your defense that is more in trouble since you don't have a proper DM to start with. You will not have always 6 defending players since you want them all to attack bar the CB's, and 6 defending players are not necessarily strong as an unit, are not necessarily that great defensively : yeah "defending players", then proper defenders it's another story. But don't put in my mouth I'd say they are zero. That's not my point. I just say we're very confident it's feasible to beat them as we have the weapons against them.

Without any problem in the DFB Pokal maybe but anyway let's pass on it after all.
    What I do need wingers when I have Shevchenko, Rummenigge and Maradona who each can go by either side + Nedved and eventually Amoros.
    They're not statues.
    And yes, Modric too even if I don't want him to push, too much too far, too often, but he knows. Same with Nedved here. Then, if they must follow, they follow ofc.
    Yeah, Savicevic was dynamic, when on his day, and especially when there was the space like against Barça... since on form, it was written. But a last time he does have to deal with Cole and Modric knows how to manage spaces both defensively and offensively. He's a recent player so you just must know it.

In two or three words, we'll see.

But one thing that I notice is that on your picture, suddenly, there's no 6 defending players anymore but just three or four when counter-attacked. The players can't be everywhere at the same time, wich is true for everybody, I think.
    Also on this picture you use a totally different formation that you have initially selected, now with Beckenbauer as covering libero.
    And you use my picture #2 wich is one possible move as indicated, not my starting formation, shown in first position.
    While the transformation of your team that you make here is impossible : or you have 2 Beckenbauers on your side playing with 12 players ?

The change you made against Heroe was already at the limit in my view, but here it is clear that it is a completely different formation from the initial one, imo.

But even if it's that, as you imagined, the 3 (us) vs 4 (you) on counters : we take.

l don't underestimate your team neither for sure but it's not perfect and I'm looking at what could be the keys for my team to win, that's what we do.
    I prepared my team accordingly too, making just one change of personnel from the precedent lineup as usual as i never underestimated any team so far I think. And decided to have Nedved on my right and Modric on my left this time (I already used the same 11 men together but the other way around as for them two).

Watch Youtube (Modric + defensive abilities, something like that, also full games) if really needed. Also everybody knows that Modric was steady during 10 years, something Savicevic clearly never was. And well, I never said he was the most important player, lolz. The star is the team...

Yeah Ok, if you say so. Apart from that I won't repeat myself as in post #10, ok, it was your turn.

Yeah, Matthaus was an AM, got injured in '92 then was a libero (and did not play 30 league matches a year).
    Not mostly no, but yeah, Rijkaard played CB in club in 1994-1995, before retiring (perhaps a bit before this season too, probably). He was very good in the Final, with Davids before him I think. I thought it was the 1988 stopper initially then verified the era chosen and understood that it was the '95 version pairing with Blind, very good in '95 too. That was very sophisticated all over the pitch, their team as a whole, and really dynamic. As for Bergomi in that system with these players, as almost the lone pure defender, say I'm not sure.

Perú FC repped this.
  15. OT_CAPITANO

OT_CAPITANO Member

Barcelona
    Spain
    Feb 16, 2020
    Firstly i would like to say there was a misunderstanding about the picture i put of me attacking

Its not me changing my formation there are more examples to show offensive or defensive transitions during the match (i mostly always do them) my initial formation is still my main formation...but sometimes when im explaining something i like to put pictures as example for ppl to get it since english is not my main language. If you think its me changing my formation you can disregard it and only read the text.

Oke lets continue

Modric is a amazing player and certainly has some offensive and defensive qualities but were talking about Matthaus and Savicevic here...the first one can stop anyone on a good day so i dont think Modric is gonna be the one to give him a headache...and Savicevic on a good day was unstoppable. Modric has shown during the years that fast players are not his cup of tea.

Secondly...when i talk about 6 defensive players im not talking individual im talking as a unit. We have a strong back 4 with Beckenbauer and Matthaus doing zonal marking to avoid your offensive players changing positions and dragging them out of position...Rivera will drop deep (not necesarly to defend but mostly to start attacks kinda like Pirlo) and Savicevic and Rivelino as free roaming L/R AM will stay put looking for pockets to exploit

Tbh i didnt take you seriously after you said i dont have a proper DM....Beckenbauer in 66? Matthaus 90? If you think i dont have a proper DM with these two idk what to tell ya.

And youre taking to heart my comments about Modric....dont get me wrong hes a great player but its hard taking you seriously when you say Matthaus wont be able to stop him and in the same breath discredit Rivera like he wont have any influence on the match...Rivera is 5x times more dangerous then Modric going forward.

And yes Rummenige and Maradona could play and move to the sides but its not the same as playing with wingers....why? When Rummenige or Maradona move to the sides they leave a hole in the middle...leaving players like Beckenbauer or Matthaus free to help cover elsewhere.

One last thing lets talk about the image i put of me attacking....like i said earlier its a example of a offensive transition...every player wont attack at the same time its to show how if either Rivelino or Savicevic drift to the middle the sideback is gonna attack that space left by either Amoros or Cole.

And your sidebacks will have to cover Rivelino or Savicevic out of there comfort zone and where these 2 are the more dangerous

Hopi i was as clear as possible

Perú FC repped this.
  16. poetgooner

poetgooner Member+

Arsenal
    Nov 20, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll hand this in tonight :thumbsup:

17. wm442433

wm442433 Member+

Sep 19, 2014
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    I won't comment on everything because we already had our turn but about this, if really not clear :

No, because in all logic, they don't do this both at once : the other is 2ndST/ central/ IL/ IR.
    As for Shev, he plays his role in he rotation as well although he is mainly CF.

18. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Perú FC repped this.
  19. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
  20. Sammer's Hammer

Feb 21, 2013
  21. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    Sorry, the last ones I got, are for the 3rd round votes.

22. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    QUARTER FINALS (A): Sammer's Hammer vs thebigman

@Sammer's Hammer
    [​IMG]

@thebigman
    [​IMG]

23. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
  24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I feel like we are evenly matched in some areas but my team is more powerful and fast. Deschamps could cover hagi and Alberto has the pace to cover Dzajic

garrincha is not playing vs an attacking fullback. Hapgood played as almost a lcb in the wm but had the fitness and power to get up and down if needed. Scholes and Deschamps can help with garrincha on that side if needed but I prefer them to cover ground centrally. Gullit has the ability to take the ball deep and also push it forward, making it very hard for redondo. With Messi forming a triangle, we out number his 2 cms as hagi is not famous for his defensive contribution

my frontline has the pace and trickery to put his cbs, neither quick, under immense pressure

eusabio would be occupied by 2 cbs capable of winning the ball on the deck and aerially. Desailly often played as a dm in his career, showing he had the athleticism and eye for a pass. Gento will be working hard tracking Djalma santos.

I just can’t see how with 2 cms and his centre backs, how he can stop my team? Messi is goi g to have Camacho and blanc for dinner!

25. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    I sent my votes.