Equal pay calculator

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Beau Dure, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I'm working on a calculator so you can enter variables and calculate what it means for MNT/WNT pay. You can give them exactly the same deal, you can rob one and give a bunch to the other, etc.

The defaults are from the current CBAs, and I use results and attendance from the 2014-17 cycle, in which the WNT won the World Cup and went to the Olympic quarterfinals while the MNT went to the World Cup round of 16.

So far, I've only done WNT data, but it shouldn't take long to create the MNT sheet.

But before I do, I'd be happy for anyone to take a look, play around with it and point out anything that looks wrong. Enjoy!

https://app.box.com/s/vvadyt40le2isim4ywepo8g3j04lcqd6

2. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    Beau, don't you need TV audience as a metric here? That drives rights payments.

3. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    That'll be in version 1.1

4. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    I find the equal pay for equal work argument unconvincing. If two minesweepers both do minesweeping but one cannot handle the bigger or more explosive mines, you don't pay them the same. Similarly, could I tell the USWNT to go beat Curacao in the Gold Cup? I don't think so. 90 minutes against France in the WWC is hard. It is not as hard as 90 minutes against Curacao in the Gold Cup.

But, if the metrics support an argument that the USWNT generates more revenue for soccer than the USMNT, then that would be a sound argument for greater pay for the USWNT.

Too many people overlook this simple reality (though female judges find it persuasive when I explain it this way). And, explaining it this way is not a "diss" on the USWNT. After all, the men's national lacrosse team gets paid less than the USMNT team and they also work hard like the soccer players do.

5. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
  6. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
  7. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gamecock14, Timon19, Chicago76 and 2 others repped this.
  8. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    According to this photo i grabbed off my phone...
    The guy smiling and waiving so profusely MUST have signed a wage deal right?
    I mean he's in a suit and tie fer christ sake !
    [​IMG]

McSkillz repped this.