PBP: EPL - Tottenham Hotspur FC vs Manchester United FC - June 19, 2020 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    [​IMG]vs [​IMG]

Competition: English Premier League
    Venue: Tottenham Stadium
    Time: 16:30 (BST), 12:30 (EST)
    Channels: Sky Sports Premier League(UK), Sky Sports Main Event(UK), MUTV(UK), NBCSN(US), Telemundo(US), Telemundo Deportes en vivo(US), DAZN(Canada), RUSH(JA), SuperSport 3 Africa(Zambia), SuperSport Maximo(Zambia)

Tottenham Hotspur injuries: Sánchez(knock), Davies (hamstring), Son (arm), Sissoko (knee), Bergwijn (ankle), Kane (hamstring)
    Manchester United injuries: Grant (knock), Pogba (ankle), Rashford (back), Martial (knock)

Tottenham Hotspur last 6: L-L-L-D-D-L
    Manchester United last 6: W-W-W-L-W-W

Tottenham Hotspur last result: 0-3 away loss to RB Leipzig (UCL)
    Manchester United last result: 0-5 away win over Linzer Athletik SK (UEL)

Tottenham Hotspur league standing: 8th
    Manchester United league standing: 5th

Last League Encounter: 2-1 home win at Old Trafford (Dec 2019)

Tottenham Hotspur last starting XI (4-3-3):
    Lloris(c), Tanganga, Alderweireld, Dier, Aurier, Winks, Lo Celso, Sessègnon, Lamela, Alli, Moura

Manchester United last starting XI (4-3-3):
    Romero, Williams, Bailly, Maguire(c), Shaw, Fred, McTominay, Mata, Fernandes, James, Ighalo

=====================
    hello José. Spurs are apparently the walking dead.

the last 6 form is polar opposites but we can't get complacent. keep the same energy as of late and the same efforts.

go go go

jnielsen repped this.
  2. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Ironic that it may well be a virus that keeps Jose in his job a little longer.

Futbol_Head repped this.
  3. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah, this match ain't happening.

4. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I really wanted us to sneak in a destruction of Spurs before everything ground to a halt. But clearly for the best.

5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This... given everything that is going on, it is clear this is for the best, but another win for us and another loss for them would have been sweet. Not to mention they'll have players who are currently injured fit by the time we eventually play, if we ever play that fixture. I wonder what the hell becomes of the season.

Conventional wisdom says Euro is pushed back to 2021 and maybe this season is finished in July but there's no guarantee we'll be in a better place by then.

Amdrag repped this.
  6. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    [​IMG]vs [​IMG]

Competition: English Premier League
    Venue: Tottenham Stadium
    Time: 20:15 (BST), 15:15 (EST)
    Channels: Sky Sports Premier League(UK), Sky Sports Main Event(UK), MUTV(UK), NBCSN(US), Telemundo(US), Telemundo Deportes en vivo(US), DAZN(Canada), RUSH(JA), SuperSport 3 Africa(Zambia), SuperSport Maximo(Zambia)

Tottenham Hotspur injuries: none
    Manchester United injuries: none

Tottenham Hotspur last 6: L-L-L-D-D-L
    Manchester United last 6: W-W-W-L-W-W

Tottenham Hotspur last result: 0-3 away loss to RB Leipzig (UCL)
    Manchester United last result: 0-5 away win over Linzer Athletik SK (UEL)

Tottenham Hotspur league standing: 8th
    Manchester United league standing: 5th

Last League Encounter: 2-1 home win at Old Trafford (Dec 2019)

Tottenham Hotspur last starting XI (4-3-3):
    Lloris(c), Tanganga, Alderweireld, Dier, Aurier, Winks, Lo Celso, Sessègnon, Lamela, Alli, Moura

Manchester United last starting XI (4-3-3):
    Romero, Williams, Bailly, Maguire(c), Shaw, Fred, McTominay, Mata, Fernandes, James, Ighalo

=====================​

OK, take 2.

everything else has gone out the window from when this was originally schedueld.

we've got Pogba and Rashford back and they have Kane, Son, Ndombele back etc. think i read a piece from José saying everyone was fit.

new formations are apparently being experimented with. last time there was a change some complained about disrupting the settled system but it worked out fine.

what are we expecting this time round with all the changes and the potential loss of form?

jnielsen, Chaz Striker and Amdrag repped this.
  7. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    It's going to come down to which team makes the least mistakes. I think it's tough that we're going against Jose to start this thing off because he's usually defensively sound.

8. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No idea what to expect here. The virus truly has been a blessing for Rashford, Kane, Pogba, etc. Glad to have them all back on the field.

jnielsen repped this.
  9. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Shame as we had momentum. Expect the first few games will be an indicator of best prep when teams are fairly evenly matched like this one.

Hopeful we get some lift from finally having quality options in midfield and options up front off the bench. Really looking forward to seeing Pogs/Bruno play together (unless Ole pulls a surprise).

Doubt this will be the pick but would love to see;

Rash - Tony M - Mason
    ————- Bruno
    ——- Pogs —- Fred
    Shaw - Harry - Lindelof - AWB
    ——- ——- DDG

johno, benni..., Futbol_Head and 2 others repped this.
  10. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  11. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    OMG, I'm jonesing so bad for some football, bring it on.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Delle Alli is suspended for this game: we can't catch a break... :cool:

The team I would go with for this one

-------------------Dave
    AWB----Lindelöf---Maguire----Shaw
    --------------------Matic
    -------------Bruno----Pogba
    ---------Mase---Martial---Rashford

The midfield obviously is what gave me pause for this one (the rest is fairly straightforward). Would hope to see us take a real crack at Totteham and try and make a statement right off the bat: this team would do so imo. Fully aware that Mourinho will have his team prepared (and will probably try something that looks wacky to throw the boys/Ole off balance). But all the same, while they're potentially dangerous offensively, their defense looks pretty weak/average to me: Alderweireld aside (and he's shown this season he's only as good as the guy next to him), this is not a unit that should concern our own attack.

They should be tested and put under pressure continuously. That's why I have Pogs sitting higher up alongside Bruno. Matic can handle playing the lone 6, plus both Bruno and Pogs will help out and work defensively when required.

Matic is my pick for this one because he's the only natural DCM we have and he's been in good form prior to the league being halted. At that level, he's the one I want at that spot against top teams. In that game, positional discipline will be required at that spot: might be able to get it from McTominay (more so than Fred), but provided he's in good form, would still opt for Matic.

With all the games on the table and the need to keep players fresh and effective for as long as possible, I still expect for the role to be played by committee. As such, I would go with Fred or McTominay at DCM vs mid to lower table teams.

On the right, I expect James to get the start but this is a game where I feel, he'd be perfect to come off the bench. Having his legs and energy coming on in the 2nd half could be a nightmare for Spurs' backline

Not underestimating the threat Spurs and Mourinho present but I believe that if we assert ourselves and play our game, we will get all 3pts. Really would be the perfect springboard for the remaining of the season from a mental point of view: get positive results vs Spurs and then Sheffield and things could look very rosy going down the stretch.

13. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  14. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
  15. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    It won’t impact the game. Only the player who tests positive has to isolate.

Naboomagnoli repped this.
  16. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    that would make zero sense after the lengths they went to to ensure footballers stayed apart and even after returning to training

jnielsen repped this.
  17. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So a player from Norwich tested positive after running around unprotected with his own squad, as well as Tottenham's? Seems sketchy.

18. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Whether it makes sense or not, that’s the protocol.

19. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    That's why there are daily tests for every player - otherwise each one of these positive tests would shut down an entire club and the whole thing would collapse.

JamesA repped this.
  20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

21. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The Athletic is reporting Pogba will be on the bench Friday. Apparently Ole wants to stick with Bruno, Fred, McT.

22. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Ugh. No one is in game shape any more, there's no reason to hold him out.

23. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I doubt it’s true

24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I honestly would not be surprised given the form we were in when the season came to a halt. Do I think it's the right move? No, but I could see it happening especially against a Spurs side where we could get punished for being too open in the middle.

25. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Hasn’t he played with the starters in every friendly so far?