EPL package on DirecTV

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by SoFla Metro, Aug 2, 2002.

1. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Did anybody else have this last year? The season starts in 16 days and I can't find any information on their website about it and the (clueless) guy on the phone couldn't find any info on it.

If anybody knows anything I appreciate it.

2. ATL Blue One

ATL Blue One New Member

Feb 4, 2001
    ATL
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They always wait until the last minute. Just keep checking back each day or so. Also when the offer is up it will usually be announced here on BS.

3. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What exactly is the package? I have directv now and was curious. Is it the Saturday PPV games at a discount or does it include the Sunday ones?

Mike

Is it basically just a Man U season package?

4. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Thanks ATL! Last season was my first with the package so I wasn't sure how it worked (the other subscriptions still appear on my bill but that one doesn't right now)

Mike,

Last year it was a Saturday only package (one game a week at 10 am ET Saturday during the season) for around $130.

They showed every team at least once, but it was usually one of the marquee names (ManU, Arsenal, Liverpool).

There were rumors before the BS Meltdown that the package this year would also include the Sunday games (usually at 11 am) but since they don't have any info on it, that can't yet be confirmed. If it's not too much more than the Saturday package I'd be pretty happy.

Also, if you have FSW, they show a different Saturday game and a different Sunday game on delay, so you can get a doubleheader in most weekends (if you don't mind completely pissing off your wife! :D)

5. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info!

Did it include the Charity shield last year? If so, they better get their act together soon and announce the details of the package.

Mike

6. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    I think the Charity shield is a one off for like 20 bucks. I saw a commercial for it the other day.

7. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Nope. Community (formerly Charity) Shield is an InDemand PPV event ($19.95) actually had a commercial for it on ESPN during a baseball game the other night)

8. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I understand DirectTV outbid Setanta for EPL pay per view events, so some clubs may be inclined to offer it for free, rather than risk losing all the business to home viewing.

9. tpm

tpm New Member

Sep 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    Per the DirecTV rep earlier today:

she was able to find the EPL package, which is currently $129 for 31 Saturday matches.

I asked about Sunday matches and she did not have any info, although she said if I bought the package and Sunday matches were added, I would get those. Unfortunately, she was unable to sign me up as it is not in the system for purchase yet.

10. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    That sounds like the same package they offered last year (bonus if we get the Sunday matches too!)

Fingers crossed.

11. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    The only EPL pay per view event I can think of is the Community Shield.

Fox owns the EPL rights in the US for the next couple of years.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

12. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I see what you are saying. Sorry, I get them via Direct TV, but of course others get them via a local cable provider, and so on. Setanta no longer is the delivery agent for these games, and they were at one point weren't they? (as recently as last year?)

13. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    OK I got ya.

I know Fox Sports distributed the DTV package last year because they had all sorts of FSW stuff all over half-time and what-not. I don't know who distributed for the Sunday PPVs

14. Radiohead

Radiohead New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Chicago
    It's not unusual for DirecTV or Dish Network to be a little slow about getting information out about new packages. This is from soccertv.com:

English Premier League

August 8, 2002

FOX Sports International holds EXCLUSIVE US and Canadian TV rights to the English Premier League (EPL) through May 2004.

During the 2002-2003 season, FOX will offer 2 EPL matches each weekend on Saturday at 10am ET and Sunday at 11am ET via residential pay-per-view to DirecTV and DISH Network subscribers in the US.

Cable systems that offer iNDemand digital cable pay-per-view (AT&T, Comcast, COX, and Time Warner) will offer EPL pay-per-view telecasts on Sundays ONLY.

DirecTV will distribute the EPL pay-per-view telecasts to commercial establishments during the 2002-2003 season. Setanta Sport, which handled commercial distribution for FOX in the past, is no longer involved.

FOX Sports World (US) will also offer 2 tape-delayed EPL matches each weekend on Saturday at 12noon ET and Sunday at 2pm ET, a live match on Monday at 3pm ET if available, and selected weekday matches. FOX Sports World (US) will also air the TWI-produced EPL highlights show on Tuesdays (usually at 8pm ET) and Wednesdays (usually at 11:59pm ET).

FOX Sports World Espanol will air a tape-delayed match each Saturday at 12noon ET, a match each Monday at 3pm ET (live if available), and selected weekday matches.

Additional info:
    Fox Sports Net Regional Networks have the frist Fox Sports World Saturday match listed for the following Tuesday. I'm not sure if this will continue. Fox Sports World (US) usually shows the Saturday PPV match on the following Wednesday.

15. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    I still want to find out what the Sunday package on InDemand. It would be a lot cheaper to get the package then pay every week.