PBP: EPL - Manchester United FC vs AFC Bournemouth - Jul 4, 2020 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I think we’ll catch up with Leicester on GD by the end of the season.

2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT: 5-2. Job done from the guys, even if ironically, they weren't at their sharpest (especially in the first half).

3. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a match. Bruno and Mason are just on another level right now and you LOVE to see it.

johno and Naboomagnoli repped this.
  4. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i hope fred gets a real shot at being the 3rd midfielder with bruno and pogba. if he stays disciplined, he could really offer something in front of the back 4 because he's way more mobile than matic and more comfortable on the ball than mctominay.

EDIT: on mct, gary neville is pushing the idea that he should be converted into a cb à la dier. maybe not a bad shout?

topnoevili and johno repped this.
  5. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    I think we take 3rd on points. I know our defence was rough today but I don't think that happens against Leicester and I fully expect there to be some kicks up the arse.

We were an absolute joy to watch in the 2nd half. Could have been 7 or 8.

I think Sancho ends up getting a lot more minutes at LW and AM than we were expecting a week ago.

6. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    so.... are we sure that sancho is not coming in to play on the left in front of rashford? (ducks)

Deadtigers repped this.
  7. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I actually don't think Ole even knows to be honest.

I think it's a case of an elite player is available, wants to join us, and we have the money and squad space to spare.

I think Ole figures the rest out after that. He knows that the players we have up front would be flexible enough to make numerous options work.

It's a case of Martial/Rashford/Sancho/Mase/Bruno for the front 4 spots. We then play based on form and rotation.

8. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Honestly, part of the reason Sancho is perfect for us is not just the profile: dribbler with pace and excellent vision, passing and interplay good for 30 G+A per season... its his flexibility. He could give us that output playing anywhere behind a striker and he creates defacto depth at multiple positions because he can play LW/RW/10 with consumate ease.

9. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    i would be, yes. ole has made it quite clear that he wants CBs who are comfortable on the ball. our long ball, soak up the pressure days are over. smalling doesn't belong in this team anymore.

10. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As one of Mike's most staunch defenders I am still ok with this. He's not the right fit even defensively. He's a read and react type. We want a scorched earth tackle everything moving CB.

11. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    That is a legit concern. Because we have three young forwards. We have to worry about stunting development.

12. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Legit question for strikers on the thread. Even if offside when your struggling to score, do goals callled off, like that help?

13. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    And why did Ed wait til January and not the start of the season.

Anonymous_United and Sofabloke repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My hope personally is that Ole rotates guys at the DCM spot more. I still want Matic against tougher teams (mainly because he's more disciplined positionally than the others).
    Would have no qualms at all seeing Fred or McTominay there against the weaker sides. The goal is not to have to rely on Matic for every single game, which will surely have a negative impact on his effectiveness.

jnielsen repped this.
  15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    - Rashford
    - Martial
    - Greenwood
    - Bruno
    - Sancho

The way I see it, there will be plenty of games to go around between domestic competitions and Europe (hopefully CL...). Most, if not all of these guys can slot in to multiple positions. Doubtful that everyone will be in form at once, and if so, that's a good problem to have. That's the type of depth we will need to compete with Liverpool and Man City.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine that Bruno will end up getting the MotM award but I wouldn't mind at all if is was given to Mase. He already was a decent shout for it last time out and was once again superb today. Scintillating.

18. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    I would give it to Mase.. 2 crucial goals.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    No to Smalling back.

No to Mctominay at CB. Despite his physique, he's not strong enough and not a good reader of the game. Maybe in a 4 back system but, ill pass.

johno repped this.
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jnielsen repped this.
  22. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    very happy with what i saw today. especially that we kept going even after some of the heavy hitters came off. we probably should have added at least 1 more.

how many times have we scored six since 2013/14? the FA Cup game the other day and that's it?

for all the complaints earlier about the style football it's funny how that's all of a sudden changed once the actual right pieces were fit and available. maybe i'm the only one but i always thought the style was to accommodate what we had at the time. at the start of the year we had uncertain/out of form Fred, a raggedy Matić, first(?) full season McTominay and Pogba. hardly a midfield to dominate possession or control a game.

glad to see the changes but i would have wanted Bruno to come off sooner. it's clear he will be the first name on the team sheet and with no room for error he will just rack up the minutes. we've been good so far with injuries though. looks like whatever work Solskjær said the team put in to be ready for this blitz is working so far.

few more final thoughts.
    • i thought James looked a lot better than usual when he came on

• not mad with Bailly about that call. from my feed it looked like all shoulder. don't really see blame going to Matić for ballooning the ball towards him in the first place

• hugely disappointed by the first goal conceded. not gonna go over my thoughts on Maguire. should not be the main CB or captain regardless

• what pleases me the most is we finally have multiple legitimate threats for double digit goals again
    on the last point we can argue we have potentially 4 players in Martial, Rashford, Bruno and Greenwood who could hit 20 goals a season when in form. how good does that feel?

and if you then add Sancho to that?

johno repped this.
  23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    To address a couple points...

As a player one of Ole's strengths was playing within himself... As a manager, he's the same, he knows what he has and what they are capable of. He's very much a man-manager and a motivator rather than a tactician, but he understands how to unlock defenses. He's lost in buildup, but the players can take care of that and Carrick can help.

On the subject of goals... this is the 4th time in 16 games we scored 4 or more. The floodgates have opened. We played some shit teams in that span for sure, but we also scored against good teams and we broke down bunkers which was a problem.

I was livid with Matic. He was shit. He absolutely has benefited the most from Pogba/Bruno. He's getting praise for not ********ing up and occassionally playing a good outlet pass but whoever is the 3rd midfielder in a trio that has Pogba and Bruno is obviously gonna have more time on the ball. In the same way Pogba's job has become easier because Bruno can link the attack, Matic has an easier job of it because usually the focus isn't on him.

Still, he had a moment where he dribbled into trouble at the edge of our box (if Pogba had done that he would have been slated for weeks). He had that horrid pass to Bailly and a couple other completely unforced errors. Could easily have cost the game on another day.

As for 6 or 7... we were lucky to get 5. xG was like 2+ maybe 3. Martial's goal was probably super super low. Mason's weren't big chances and the FK wasn't super high either.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  25. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    much like Rui Faria i find myself questioning what Carrick offers. it will never be completely obvious but other than being good with the players i wonder if he compliments Solskjær tactically.

not that i think we've been bad at all but it's just been a thought if he was chosen for that purpose or taken on as he was already there.

as for xG, well that is someones arbitrary scale. to me i thought the chances post Bruno were good enough for us to put away. in particular i am thinking of the two crosses fizzed into the box. one i think was slid in but offside and the other someone was slow to react. Igahlo maybe? there may have been a chance with Mata as well iirc.

regardless i am pleased with the 5. haven't gotten many of those either in recent years