PBP: EPL: Man City vs Manchester United Sun 3 Mar 2024 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Sofabloke, Mar 1, 2024.

1. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I know he scored a great goal, but Rashford needs to go.

benni... and Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  2. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Possibly. I also think we've over trained the team, which has contributed to the breakdown.

3. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Post match Erik says both subs were for injuries and that he would have preferred to keep Rashford & Evans on.

Hopefully neither out of the next games as we are paper thin as it is :(

4. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Is what it is.

5. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Based on my current calculations, we lost and I was wrong. Subject to change, obviously.

6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Just watched the highlights. About as expected. Casemiro is our new Matic. Used to be great but his legs are spent and now he’s a liability. Almost 100% at fault on the second goal for not tracking a basic 1-2 and played an absolute hospital ball to Amrabat for the third.

7. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

SF19 and CybrSlydr repped this.
  8. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Oh come on. He put a great shift. Saved the scoreline from being higher. Only player besides Evans who can keep his head high after the match.

9. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    What I imagine to be ten Hag's post game comments:

Hopefully when he's back at Ajax he takes the "unstoppable" Antony with him. Friggin' Foden dispossessed him. Foden!

10. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We played well first half but there's only so much defending a weak team can do so it was predictable that something would go wrong and they'd score.

11. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    For some context, before today they had only been behind at home for 3 minutes all season.

Today we scored on 8’ & they equalised on 56’.

Plus we were without our entire left-sided defenders including their replacements and without our only true #9.

Our fate will be more down to games like last weeks capitulation at home to Fulham than defeat to City away today.

thefly repped this.
  12. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    We are missing our 1st and 2nd choice LB, our 2nd and 3rd CB, our 1st and 2nd CF, our 1st Choice 8 and 2nd choice RB that would allow us to move our 1st choice RB to LB.

This maybe why we look so poor at the back. Is EtH tactics not sinking in cause they are over complicated, maybe but that injury list doesn't help.

Is EtH over trying guys, maybe? Is our Physio team useless, possibly!? Is our team full of softcocks, possibly!?

13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If we think at al that ETH might still be the right guy, he should be given another season. This is going to be the worst summer to be looking for a manager with Bayern, Barca, and whoever else looking for a new guy. There just aren’t many top names out there. And while ETH has gotten plenty wrong, how many managers would be doing much better than him with the guys he’s had available this season? I get people calling for ETH, that’s easy to do, but who do we replace him with and are they really that much better.

thefly repped this.
  14. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Look at it again. It’s not the pull back that gets him but Walker actually trips him up. VAR completely missed that

Sofabloke repped this.
  15. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oof... IMG_20240303_211329.jpg

SF19 repped this.
  16. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    push/pull/trip is mostly irrelevant.

Rashford should play the whistle. this is a basic principle taught to kids. he shouldn't be struggling with this.

if he gets back just by being near an opposition player can change the choice of pass and maybe we don't concede during that passage of play.

not that it matters given how we defended towards the end anyway

17. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    To be fair, it's all part of the act of claiming foul. You have to stay down a bit like you were properly fouled. Getting up fast hurts your future credibility.

I take your comments and others as frustration with the player and the loss. As I have said, we are not champions so we don't get the 50/50 calls. We are now middle of the pack so some days we get them some days we don't, look at the hands around neck in our last game. City get away with more and don't get carded as much. I will again point to the first time we played them when Rodri did a pirouette and flaying to get a pen. While Razzie fought through two attempts to tug him back on the break and no call. You can't win sometimes with the ref.

18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Red Card

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Minor side note: what’s ETHs fascination with Forson?

He might turn out to be a decent player, but everything we’ve seen in his appearances says he’s nowhere near ready for first time minutes. He looks so far off the pace. Meanwhile, Amad, you cost a ton and has a season of dominating the championship under his belt, isn’t getting a sniff. It could be a training ground thing I guess but it’s clear there’s a huge gulf in quality between the two.

19. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I believe Forson is more versatile can play left, right and center. Amad is exclusively Right isn't he?

benni... repped this.
  20. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yep, as above - Forson can play a few positions whereas Amad is more a one-sided wing-forward.

Plus Amad is 22 in a few months time, if he hasn't done anything significant by now then pretty clear we will be moving him on I reckon (though may depend on what happens with Antony / Sancho - as we will need some depth @RWF if we shift both of them).

Forson is a couple of years younger (20 in a few months time) - so still has time to show some development. Though agree has been meh so far.

21. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    there's no logical reason any young player would find any success in this team. it's not good at anything for starters - scoring, defending, controlling tempo, possession, shape and the list goes on.

Elanga highlighted that.

outside of an exceptional talent that can perform their role on their own with a high enough base level, no youth would do well in this team

SF19 repped this.
  22. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    It’s be really nice to be shocked this summer with some of the moves we make. I don’t have any faith left, however.

benni... repped this.
  23. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I get the point that is easier for younger players to show something in a more functional team than we are.

However both Garnacho and Mainoo have shown something this season. So it is possible.

Also top teams tend to turn to youth more during an injury crisis - is just how it goes. So gotta take any small chance they get. Top level football is brutal that way.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    well like i said - exceptional talents.

Garnacho and Mainoo are exactly what is WRONG with this team. the seniors are supposed to help usher the youth in and support them. like we did with Welbeck, Evans and others.

instead it's ass backwards in that those two have to be carrying the damn team instead. they should be understudy to Antony and Amrabat but instead they've usurped them

SF19 repped this.
  25. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    But then you have to be an exceptional youth talent to play at this level for this club anyway.

That we need better senior players is a given, we all know we aint where we should be on that score :)