PBP: EPL - Brighton & Hove Albion FC vs Manchester United FC - Sep 26, 2020 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by johno, Sep 26, 2020.

1. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    [​IMG]vs[​IMG]

Competition: English Premier League
    Venue: Amex Stadium
    Time: 1230 BST 730 EST
    US TV: NBCSN
    Manchester United injuries: Jones (Phil Jones), Smalling (poss transfer), Tuanzebe (fitness)
    BHA injuries: Andone, Izquierdo, Bissouma (red card)
    Last League Encounter: 0-3 Away win at Amex Stadium
    Form: United LW
    BHA LWW

jnielsen and Sofabloke repped this.
  2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Welp, tried with the images, but I'm on a chromebook and I cannot be bothered.

Radbennie repped this.
  3. Radbennie

Radbennie Member

Dec 30, 2005
    New Zealand
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #3 Radbennie, Sep 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    I expect a tough test against Brighton especially on current form, however if the right personnel are picked we should win this one.

Going by the praise Baily received from Ole this should be his game to stamp the CB position as his.

I hope we go with the below team.

-----------------De Gea----------------
    AWB----Baily---Maguire---Shaw
    --------------Matic-----------------------
    -------------------------Pogba---------
    -------------------Bruno------------------
    Greenwood--Martial--Rashford

It's unfair Donny is not included going by his immediate impact to the team, but we need to get Pogba on top form as quick as possible.

Score prediction:
    Man United 3 - 1 Brighton

johno repped this.
  4. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not much to argue with here. I'd like to see Fred get the nod at DM. He's got more energy and since Matic played midweek, I'd rather he not start this one.

Fred also started midweek so I think we may be stuck with Scott as the deepest CM.

I'd like to see Donny introduced at the hour mark for Bruno just to change things up a bit. It couldn't hurt honestly to just start both Bruno and Pogba in every game and alternate who comes off at the hour with VDB as the sub. Give him a start ever so often, but we have to remember that Paul and Bruno haven't really played together a lot and building that relationship can only help.

I think the attack picks itself. I don't hold out any hope we will sell Dan James to Leeds as rumoured but I certainly don't want him starting. We need to take care with Lamptey, he's electric and could be a problem.

jnielsen repped this.
  5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 Ashur, Sep 26, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    Lindelof and Mag together: why with a fit Bailly?

Brighton XI: Ryan, Lamptey, White, Webster, Dunk, Connolly, March, Alzate, Lallana, Trossard, Maupay

8. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Brighton FC? I suppose Hove can go ******** itself?

9. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Any sane person would see this as Lindelof's last chance (though you know it never would be)

You'd want an impressive performance, not just one without mistakes, but a good performance.

Otherwise what hope is there

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better so far from the team today but our play is still lacking the freshness and incisiveness from just after the restart.

Brighton with the first real chance of the game and almost score as they hit the post.

Pogba's passing is still clearly off though: that much has been pretty evident thus far...

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Harry Maguire needs to give Bruno a bollocking. He's hit 3 passes directly into BHA players when not under pressure. At this stage, he's shown no composure or quality at all. ********ing annoying.

12. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I ended up having to make the thread twice because I accidentally navigated away. I was done by a long way by the time I got it done the 2nd time. My standard is certainly no where near our ever present match thread starter @Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 for whom we should all be immensely grateful.

jnielsen, Deadtigers and Naboomagnoli repped this.
  13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The start appeared relatively bright from the boys but things are getting sloppier and sloppier, with the passing very wayward from almost everybody.

Good teasing cross from Bruno for Martial but Brighton's backline had it well covered.

Another excellent chance from Brighton (Trossard again who has started very well): the ball shaves the post (again). Brighton should have been ahead...

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    One of the (many) reasons I hate it when Matic plays is because he plays with the assuredness and confidence of a much better passer. He almost NEVER takes the easy 1 or 2 touch option.

Bruno is really ********ing ticking me off now. For a creative player who is suppose to have vision, he gets caught when there are comfortable progressive options available and that is inexcusable. It is a different thing entirely when there are no progressive options or even a decent square pass that is on, but that situation where he picked up a yellow was annoying. Matic dwelled, but had drawn so much of the focus, if Bruno took 1 touch to kill it right on him and then laid it back or even better across to whomever was near the middle of the pitch in acres of space, we'd have been away.

BHA absolutely bossing the game, not only looking more likely, but more possession, better possession, shots and set piece opportunities as well. Bruno/Matic/Pogba is fine if we're getting everyone forward or everyone back and breaking, but against a team that is dangerous in possession who wants to be on the ball, we are short of energy and are very one paced. Fred would have been a much better option.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice move started by Martial on the counter and finished in cool fashion by Mase but Rashford was offside when he got the ball unfortunately. Best play from United in the game so far.

16. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we concede a penalty. Started by AWB losing possession pretty cheaply. Lamptey fouled by Bruno: clear foul...

Maupay with the panenka and United go behind. Deservedly if we're being honest.

What looked like a hopeful display in the first 10mins has completely devolved to shit.

17. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Hate to say it but Bruno’s form has got out the window. Should bring VDB on in the second half.

18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Immediate response and Maguire draws us level, 1-1.

19. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Shaw, our player of the half. He's got so many options, it is difficult to prevent him beating the press. He's a decent passer up the line, he will knock it round if you are late closing down, he's capable of the 1 touch 1-2 play to find space up the wing and if you sleep on all those options, he can roll the ball across you and dribble inside to good effect.

Hopefully going behind and then getting the equalizer straight away will spur us on to playing better in the 2nd half. We've been flat apart from Shaw and Greenwood.

He's a player that takes a lot of risks and has oddly inconsistent technique for someone so skilled but even so, I've screamed at him or shaken my head at his play more times this season than last. Absolutely diabolical form of late.

20. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Shaw keeps making really good overlaps and Rashford has ignored him multiple times.

It's annoying me a bit because it's the sort of thing that leads to Shaw going "why bother"

Deadtigers, doubletrouble and benni... repped this.
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HT: 1-1. Good reaction after going behind but it's more than we deserve. Been pretty poor overall and need to do much better in the 2nd half in what is a must win game for us.

22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We suck. Obviously we need reinforcements but the fact that this current squad has been dominated my Palace and now Brighton is ********ing embarrassing. Ole better get this shit turned around quick or we'll be looking at another new manager before the seasons over.

23. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Rashford has annoyed me today. In general we've been bad for players standing in each other's space, or dropping so they are literally standing in a horizontal line 5 yards from each other. But Rash in particular has been occupying all the wrong spaces. He's not offering high width, he keeps dropping deeper and moving more centrally. He did this well post-restart but he was much better at picking his moments, staying wider, at creating space for angled passes.

Today he's been really poor with it. He's not used Shaw effectively, he's in the wrong positions for our defensive shape, he's standing in Shaw's space far too often.

Lots of players have been poor again tbh, and the vast majority of it is down to our shape. If we don't come out for the 2nd half with much more respect for our and Brighton's structure, we will lose. It really isn't much more complicated than that.

I still don't know what it is McKenna and Carrick do.

24. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Bruno's challenge was dumb and his reaction after getting nothing but feet was even worst than the challenge.

benni... repped this.
  25. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Thank christ that was overturned I'd have given up today if that's the standard for a penalty