PBP: EPL - Brighton & Hove Albion FC vs Manchester United FC - Jun 30, 2020 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Jun 28, 2020.

1. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Because he runs very fast

Amdrag and Anonymous_United repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Was this for Gomes I wonder?

3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see us banging the goals in, with GD possibly being a factor by the end.

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT: 0-3. Looking good up front, solid defensively. Good day and we need to keep that roll we're on going strong.

5. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Another dominant league display. This is how we need to treat lower level teams.

6. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am more pleased with these last two results against Sheffield and Brighton than our wins against City and Chelsea this season. We have always fared well against top sides but seeing us break down low block teams is refreshing and gives me hope for the future.

johno, Futbol_Head, Amdrag and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    It’s clear to me that mct is learning from pogbas play and confidence. I don’t care what Johno says.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  8. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Comfortable win , shame i missed the first half. Greenwood is diff tier to James and Matic has been decent in last few outings.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Deserved from Bruno after putting in another top shelf display today. But there are some legitimate shouts if he didn't get it, starting with Matic who once again was superb today.
    He's rolling back the years to 2015 with Chelsea Matic and is a great compliment to Bruno and Pogs (who also was very good today). Long may this continue.

jnielsen repped this.
  11. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    anyone agree with Greenwood MOTM?

also i thought Lindelöf was quiet today but quietly good. i'm not sure how he goes up another level or if there is even another level to go up to. don't see him particularly learning much from Maguire so

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    brownie points keep sky rocketing

14. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    We can't score more than 3 goals :mad: #OleOut

jnielsen repped this.
  15. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Good performance. matic has been fantastic for many games now

Naboomagnoli and jnielsen repped this.
  16. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Matic has been a completely different player to the one blighting us for 2018 & 2019. His progressive passing was nonexistent for so long, but in both of these 3-0 games he has been far bolder and more decisive than he had been since his first few months.

Stud83, benni... and johno repped this.
  17. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Also - Wan Bissaka gets an assist for that pass, but I thought he played in some nice crosses from the right, particularly a floated ball right on to Williams' head. I love that he's so clearly working on that part of his game.

I picked a sucky game week to have Martial as captain. But I don't think he had a bad game - he pulled the defence around, dropped deep, made that run between RCB and RB. Brighton sought to close him out of the game, and we used that to give Greenwood and Bruno time and space.

Rashford needs time and patience. He was on fire for a side playing a counter attacking game from deep, and now he's come back to a very different side going through Bruno and dominating against low blocks. I'd be surprised if he gets back to his pre-injury form in the next few games, he might have one or two matches where he looks really sharp but it'll probably be next season before he really builds up a head of steam.

18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Bruno has had a domino effect.

In attack, the forwards can expect touches in and around the box because he's linking things and making lots of runs to create opportunity.

In midfield, forward passes are on because Bruno's movement is infectious. Also, Pogba doesn't need to progress the ball for a direct chance, he can just progress the ball. His progressive passing was always good, but he's been utterly world class since he came back. That means teams have to focus on stopping PP and BF... Matic with time, when rested is still going to pick you apart.

Defensively, Maguire is having to do a lot less in buildup play because Pogba isn't pushing up as much and Matic isn't shut out of the game.

Top to bottom, the team now is functional. Bruno at 8/10 and Pogba at 6/8 cover a multitude of Ole's weaknesses. Our front 4 rivals Liverpool for G/A involvement. We already have incredible production from midfield for G/A now, if we get Shaw and AWB playing consistetly better and contributing... look out.

Sofabloke and Naboomagnoli repped this.
  19. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Absolutely - though Matic having time and being rested is only part of it. He wasn't previously rejecting vertical passes because he was tired or because he was constantly under pressure. It was coached into him under Mourinho, both at Chelsea and at Utd. It's taken him until January under Ole to purge that from his game and become much more positive, threading the ball through tighter spaces with pace.

I don't know if Matic makes that change with Lingard still in the 10. Bruno is probably the only way it clicks for him. But the penny's definitely dropped for a lot of players, and our overall balance is so much better for committing to a quality attacking 10 over a presser with a high pass completion and negligible net contribution.

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What's stood out for me is his ability to force the opposition to commit players to him. If they give him space to carry the ball forward he's taking it, forcing a defender to commit, and then finding the open man or space that's available. Huge improvement over the past few years.

johno and benni... repped this.
  23. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Do you remember those videos of Jesse running (or not) into all the wrong places to receive a pass? Think that is a big part of why Matic and the rest of the team look better with Bruno.

Jesse and AP were just not cutting it knitting our midfield and attack. Without decent #10s and #8s, CMs can't make passes, attackers stop making runs etc.

Matic has been a lot better, but Bruno (and Pogba) a big part of that.

24. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Has anyone else noticed how much Paul Pogba is smiling during games? He genuinely seems to be having fun on the field.

Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hardly surprising to be honest. All Pogs ever wanted was to be in a competitive team, one that has an actual chance at winning things. Bruno's arrival, along with the emergence of other players is finally putting United in the right direction.
    The only team he was a part of that was really worth anything since he came back was the one from his first season (16-17). It stands to reason that he's a happy camper right now. And hopefully it will be enough to convince him that his future lies with us.