Enough! Kill the monochromes!

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by MRschizoid21, May 16, 2011.

1. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not just because they're so simple, but because they are too common. Just recently we had Chivas, Philly, Vancouver, and KC all in dark blue shirts/shorts/socks. It's ridiculous. And we also have the teams favoring all-whites when not playing in their colors.

These aesthetics are killing me.

2. gamekid2k

gamekid2k Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many teams with "Red" jersey....

3. dsirias

dsirias Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Back to topic

Here is what I posted in MLS general rank the uniforms :
    1. KC away looks like Philly home and LA/ VAN from a distance. At least blue socks or shorts away. We will know that it I'd KC playing
    2. Van see # 1. At least wear white socks or socks with hoops so we know it's
    you on the road

3. RSL nothing wrong with your kits Just make the yellowish alternate your primary road jersey. They are sweet and are wearable anywhere except CBus

4. Fire road kits crying out for red socks

5. Dynamo should never wear all white on the road. See # 5 above Orange of course

6 Toronto should go all gray shirts and shorts and red socks away

7 Quakes -- just go back up your classic championship era gear

These little changes would be so refreshing league wide in terms of distinction
    and presentation.

4. LyotoM

LyotoM Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    montreal should have grey sleeves and shorts

revs can wear red/blue striped socks

5. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Striped socks always ALWAYS look ridiculous. I would be in favor of white shorts and hooped socks, though

6. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    ugh... we have a red 1st kit, if were wearing our second it likely means were playing a team with a red 1st.

7. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    and what do they do when they play at Chicago?As Chicago has red socks at home.

8. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There seem to be two schools of thought in Europe about this:
    1. Ignore it. Often you see two teams with White Shorts, or both teams with Blue Socks and no one seems to mind. The kits need to clash, and it's the discretion of the Referee whether or not they do. For instance, Seattle ususally plays against the Navy-clad Revs in their home greens. When Portland came to town, the Ref adjudged that Portland's Greens didn't clash our Navies, and we were sent back to change. I ref U-15 games, from time to time. If one team came out whole-hog red and the other in Gray-Gray-Red, I let the boys play.
    2. Mix-and-match pieces. ManU subscribe to this school of thought. Their 2010-11 Home and Change are Red-White-Black and White-Black-White. But against Shalke's all-whites, they wore Red-Black-Black. Houston would benefit greatly from this, having Orange pieces, White pieces, and Powder blue pieces, as long as they're never All-White.

I know third jerseys are a big deal, and I'm sure adidas would love if every team had their Homes, Aways, and then Neon-Blue and Black (adidas have made Chelsea's recent away travesties) But I think one of those two options would be best for the League.

9. blitzzfan

blitzzfan Member

Jul 25, 2000
    St. George, UT
    This is an idea I can get behind.

10. soccerbetic

soccerbetic Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    its kind of redundant that every team with a white primary kit wears a blue secondary kit. LA should bring back a Gold jersey and a black and red striped NY kit would be a cool way to remember the metrostars days. and as has been stated the all white away kits need to be done away with. Chicago would look good in a blue away kit and RSL needs to wear their yellow kit more. TFC's white is actually kind of classy and much better than the old grey and black kit they had so they could stick with that. Im also excited to see the DC red kit in action, hopefully they actually make use of it.

11. dsirias

dsirias Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Doesn't Montreal have a pink away jersey ? They need to keep that for MLS

And I agree with the poster about mix and match. There is nothing wrong with mix and match on the road so long as identifiability/distinctiveness ......for away games is not lost.

IMHO the only team that should end up being mostly primary mono blue home and away is NER

And the only teams that should end up being mostly primary white home and away are LAG and VAN

Everyone else has a plethora of options

1 person likes this.
  12. jtorok

jtorok Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

While I agree for the most part, I think Philly's mono blue is their only legitimate option besides their new (and boring) white third kits. The 'gold' shorts look like crap with the blue tops, and likewise with the gold top and blue bottoms. And gold-gold looks horrific. They haven't worn the gold tops of bottoms yet this year they are so bad.

13. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Philly are distinctive enough with their gold Ajax stripe. Here's hoping that they make it a perpetual part of their kit, à la Chicago's horizontal white stripe

14. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I wouldn't mind seeing these combinations. keep in mind that this is only what i've seen as traditional or typcial of the team.

Chicago
    Primary - All Red with White Horizontal Stripe
    Alternative - White (Red Horizontal Stripe) - Red -White

Chivas USA
    Primary - Red/White Stripes - Dark Blue - White
    Alternative - Dark Blue - White - Red

Columbus -
    Primary - All Yellow
    Alternative - Black - Yellow - Black

Colorado
    Primary - Burgundy - White - Burgundy
    Alternative - White - Burgundy - White

DC United
    Primary - All Black
    Alternative - White - Black - Red

FC Dallas
    Primary - Red/White Hoops - Red - White
    Alternative - Blue/White Hoops - Blue - White

Houston Dynamo
    Primary - Orange - White - Orange
    Alternative - White - Orange - White

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Primary - All White
    Alternative - Dark Blue w/ Gold Sash - Dark Blue - Dark Blue

Montreal Impact
    Primary - Royal Blue/Black halves - Royal Blue - BLack
    Alternative - All White

New England Revolution
    Primary - all Dark Blue
    Alternative - White - Dark Blue - White

New York Red Bull
    Primary - White - Red - White
    Alternative - Dark blue - Red - White

Philadelphia Union
    Primary - Ajax Style Blue/Gold - Blue - Blue
    Alternative - Ajax Style Light Blue/Yellow - light blue - light blue

Portland Timbers
    just keep the current ones

Real Salt Lake
    Primary All Claret
    Alternative Yellow/ Cobalt/ Yellow

San Jose Earthquakes
    Primary - Blue - Black - Blue
    Alternative - White - Blue - White

Seattle Sounders
    Primary - All Light Green
    Alternative - Light Blue - White - Light Green

SPorting Kansas City
    Primary - All Light Blue
    Secondary - Dark Blue - Light Blue - Dark Blue

Toronto FC
    Primary - All Red
    Alternative - Gray - White - Gray

Vancouver Whitecaps
    Primary - White W/ Dark Blue Horizontal Stripe - Dark Blue - White
    Alternative - Dark Blue W/Light Blue Horizontal Stripe - Dark Blue - Light Blue

15. Pelti

Pelti Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Philly has yet to wear the gold alternate this year, and has worn a white jersey with navy shoulders, white shorts and socks. The gold jersey looked terrible on TV, so they've pretty much dropped it.

16. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And he's proposing a Sons of Ben-eque Light Blue/Gold change kit, which I personally think would look amazing

17. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    right you are, Achowat! here is what i had in mind

[​IMG]

18. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The convention in England (possibly even a rule these days) is that teams have to change if there is a clash of shirts or shorts. You can wear the standard home shirt with away shorts if you wish, although many clubs go for a total change.

Many even change completely when not only is a change unnecessary, but is actually more of a clash than if they haven't changed. I once saw a match between Tamworth (Red) v Salisbury (normally white, but playing in orange) that was quite painful on the eyes.

Cynics might suggest clubs wear the away kit as often as possible to encourage shirt sales, and they are probably right.

19. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never got a answer to why the Crew had to wear black shorts with yellow tops in the CCL. I know they had it for only one season but the Yellow and White stripes, wish they would bring it back.

20. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Law is that the strip (shirt, socks, and shorts) all need to clash. But there's tons of anecdotal evidence to suggest that two teams in white shorts 'clash' well enough for the Refs to let them play on.

21. jtorok

jtorok Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm not a big fan of the all white kits. I would really like to see how they would look with blue or gold shorts and socks. i think a white/blue/white or white/gold/blue would look pretty good.

I do hope they go with the light blue/yellow for a new 2nd kit replacing the golds. I really like how Portland has their "Rose City" kits kinda paying homage to the culture of the city. It would be cool to see philly do the same.

22. Sirk

Sirk Member+

Apr 25, 1999
    Cleveland, OH
    It was because the sliders the players wear under their game shorts are black. At one of the away games, the referee sent a player off to remove his sliders because the referee noticed the black sliders under yellow shorts. I guess the rule technically is that anything worn under the shorts has to be the same color as the shorts. The Crew didn't have any yellow sliders, and they didn't want to run afoul or shady CONCACAF officiating, so they wore black shorts for all of the games so that the sliders matched the shorts and it could never be an issue. God knows a CONCACAF ref would have disallowed a Crew goal if the player who scored it wore mismatched sliders.

23. dsirias

dsirias Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Really hard to quibble with 760epicenter's graphic. Personally I would only change: RSL's away kit to be claret socks and all else gold that we saw them wear in the CCL; let montreal keep their any pink away jersey; and, have vancouver go to something completely different away, kind of like Portland's rose, perhaps big blue/green/white horizontal stripes, borrowed from the Vancouver Canucks.