Enough is Enough

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by DHC1, Jun 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Proud of every USMNT man in this video and wanted to give props in its own thread.

1268232966901121025 is not a valid tweet id

couple notes:
    1. Weston is a leader
    2. Here are the USMNT players
      1. Weston "Captain" McKennie
      2. Cory Gibb
      3. Jozy Altidore
      4. Tyler Adams
      5. Christian Pulisic
      6. Clint Dempsey
      7. DeAndre Yedlin
      8. Michael Bradley
      9. Damarcus Beasley
      10. Chris Richards
      11. Kellyn Acosta
      12. Jonathan Lewis
      13. Danny Williams
      14. Zach Steffen
      15. Gio Reyna
      16. Josh Sargent
      17. Reggie Cannon
      18. Timothy Weah
      19. Sean Johnson
    3. Interesting that Dest, Brooks, Antonee Robinson, Chandler, Morales and Fabian weren't included
    4. Same with Landon, Timmy, Berhalter, Arena and Klinsmann
    5. This is the sort of thing that binds teams together

2. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of the excluded players haven't lived in the States.

And why pick on Donovan when US internationals like Guzan, Zusi and Besler are still playing professional soccer.

3. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #3 DHC1, Jun 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    Fair point on the excluded players raised abroad although there are other supporters who were included.

I’m pointing out Donovan is arguably the greatest USMNT field player and therefore has a large platform, far larger than the players you mentioned.

I could be wrong but he hasn’t said a single thing in support of “enough is enough” and if so, that speaks volumes to me.

I think it could also exhibit why he was never a captain at a World Cup despite his illustrious career and what current players think of him (if he wasn’t even asked to engage - which certainly isn’t clear is the case).

4. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I think its great that some players/athletes/famous people in general feel comfortable going to social media on this topic.

However, lets not pretend its some obligation that they perhaps need to do so. The same way your average everyday person doesn't. If they were politicians then perhaps. The onus isn't on them to become active vocally, even though many probably support it..

Not everyone feels comfortable lighting up their twitter accounts every 5 minutes, and that's fine. Credit to those who do on this topic, but lets not go overboard here and start judging. That's silly.

Perhaps we should stick to soccer?

5. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I disagree. It is no longer ok for a leader to remain silent when other teammates are addressing a major issue.

If much of the team engages in a team building exercise and you opt out, that says something about you as a teammate.

here we have the core of today’s team and two past captains who engaged in a nationwide movement against police brutality, specifically against unarmed black people. Staying silent is an option but one that says something about you as a leader, teammate and spokesperson. It’s also a strawman to say it’s about lighting up twitter every 5 min as this is about being supportive vs remaining silent.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    So long as they're not hypocritical, I don't see an issue either way.

Also, these CEOs(like Musk), celebs, athletes, and even scientists/physicians(like Ben Carson) tend to be pretty ignorant outside their respective domains. So society isn't missing much if they remain silent.

Occasionally you get someone--like a Bono or a Sean Penn--who has put in the hard work to understand the issues. And that's pretty awesome. Much respect to them.

7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Did anyone ask Donovan to be a part of this?

2in10 and bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    i have no idea but either way, it’s surprising, no?

9. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really if McKennie organized it.

10. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    what does this mean?

11. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McKennie has never played in the same team as Donovan. He was 16 when LD retired.

russ, largegarlic and maroonlaw repped this.
  12. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Which is why its ironic to see Michael Bradley in there, considering everybody was begging "enough is enough" with his USMNT golden throne.

13. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    did he play with Clint Dempsey? I don’t recall.

14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    GTFO of here with comparing Bradley as a USMNT player and stopping police brutality.

smh.

15. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Why are you then creating a thread on this topic in a USMNT soccer forum?

Its Fair game if you want to start drama because you always feel the need to eventually play both sides for bigsoccer reputation.

butters59 repped this.
  16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's quite possible that their paths crossed.

17. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Almost there.....

[​IMG]

18. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Now my bigsoccer Score, while effectively over a decade calling out unfair practices and sticking to it no matter what. 100% Real and eventually verified truth.

[​IMG]

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    deejay and NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    either that or simply being able to have a middle of the road perspective. You must love politics, Boo Radley.

21. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    I agree with you and you should start a 10 year boycott of all things soccer starting today. so no more posting overthinking who is in a video and who isn't and who lives where and who has tweeted what or instagramed what and making very exact decisions on their personal beliefs. I mean you literally are saying that landon donovan doesn't think the years of racism that have gone on in this country hasn't reached a point where it needs to stop because he hasn't tweeted something saying exactly that. relax

MPNumber9, maroonlaw and bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  22. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Yes, that's enough of speculations. People are different. Please, don't invent new lines to divide the players.

23. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    quit being dramatic. Not everyone has to be part of political causes.

24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    first, it’s not political.

second, people don’t have to be part of it but if you want the respect of your teammates and to be considered a leader, you should be at a minimum supportive. When I look at the list, I see most of the core players of current team as well as leaders of the past.

saying nothing is actually saying something.

25. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    a quick transfermarkt check indicates that they never played together.