English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    He must be seriously considering it. Choose a country where he might play the odd tournament or play for a country where he will play regularly at tournaments with a very talented squad. He can play left back too which is a massive bonus.

2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Why suicide because England have plenty of quality right backs? A lot of your players are english, didn't stop you from taking them. Not nice when it possibly happens to you is it?

3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    And brooks was in the English system as he played in the under 20 world cup final just before you pinched him. A lot of your players choose you as they have very little chance with england. To be honest all your players bar one or two are in the English system as they came through the english football youth ranks

4. VaulksThrowEnthusiast

Cardiff
    Wales
    Feb 9, 2020
    #2179 VaulksThrowEnthusiast, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    IMO Neco wouldn’t get in the England team. He’d be the understudy to TAA for club as well as hypothetical country. 99% of Welsh players come through English clubs anywho and Neco had his education in Wales. You’d probably find that the majority of Welsh people have part English parentage as well (without looking into stats), so I wouldn’t say Neco Williams is any more exceptional in that respect than anyone else, but I appreciate the point that people can feel identity to more than one country.

Roverman... Brooks won player of the invitational Toulon Tournament playing for England, not world cup. He’d have almost certainly been offered at least a u20 cap after that.

Yeah I know we have a lot of English born players. But by the same token you guys had/have foreign born Oko-Flex, Cirkin, Chalobah, Hargreaves, Le Tiss and Le Saux to name but a few. Moroever there was clamour to get Leon Bailey as well as Nzonzi, Almunia and Arteta a while back. Karamoko Dembele who was almost entirely Scotland (played in their team before England came a-knocking) raised.

Therefore find it hypocritical for you to have a go about ‘nicking’ players while you guys do it too (3 cap Irish international Declan Rice, educated internationally by Ireland u16 and above). Of course smaller countries such as Ireland and ourselves are going to do it more often, because of our small pool of players. But lets not pretend that England don’t do it. Everyone country does.

The only noteable players we’ve lost so far are Ryan Shawcross and Hargreaves, (CPFC Jadan Raymond dual qualified in your system as well). the FAW have a solid system currently in place. Bar Paul Dum*et there is really good buy-in.

The FAW used to (probs still do) encourage the likes of Ampadu, Matondo etc to attend English camps as well.

Roverman, you sound like you’re annoyed that Messi and CR7 haven’t declared for England yet!

Mario Balotelli repped this.
  5. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    A lot of our foreign born England players have been brought up in England from an early age. Big difference to choosing a country you have never been to just because you have an English parent/grandparent

6. VaulksThrowEnthusiast

Cardiff
    Wales
    Feb 9, 2020
    it’s a case by case situation I guess. For example loads of Kosovo players have never lived there, they identify as Kosovan all day long (i think Shaquri and Xhaka do too).
    For me, I couldn’t care if a player was born on Mars as long as he put in the effort and bought into playing for us that’s fine by me (Kieffer Moore’s a cult hero already) as was Robson-Kanu (England u20 cap) for obvious reasons before him. And anyway, they have Welsh blood so why not?

7. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Vaulks, don't waste your time, he won't listen or take anything you say on board.

8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I understand that. But if a player like neco Williams wants to choose England because he feels more affinity towards them then you just have to accept it. I have no doubt though that Giggs will include him in his next squad to tie him to wales

9. VaulksThrowEnthusiast

Cardiff
    Wales
    Feb 9, 2020

The next competitive matches are the Euros, so won’t be ‘tied down’ in the March friendlies. I think/hope this is a non starter anyway, the England youth coaches would have been at the game anyway having a look at Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliot. But it will be used as leaverage to give him a cap. An injury to Gunter or Roberts and he’ll 100% be on the plane to Baku for the Euros.

I’m surprised you aren’t against England looking at Neco Williams, given the percieved distain when Wales or another country have a look at other granny rulers. A few pages ago your were having a go at Nigeria for looking at Lookman and co.

10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Because I have already stated Williams has been in England a long time. Lookman has probably never even been to nigeria. It's a bit different

11. VaulksThrowEnthusiast

Cardiff
    Wales
    Feb 9, 2020
    Yes he’s played for Liverpool a long time, but he’s been educated in Wales throughout I believe. He probably lived at home due to the relatively close proximity of Wrexham and Liverpool. My father works in England, as Neco does, but he wouldn’t consider himself English. I have a feeling I should’ve taken JRSG’s advice on board....

ChristianSur repped this.
  12. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He'd have to be an exceptional talent just for that. England have Alexander Arnold (Liverpool) Walker (Man City), Trippier (Ath Madrid), Wan Bissaka (Man Utd), James (Chelsea) all in the mix currently. Personally I think James is an outstanding talent and will be as good as TAA. Then there's also the likes of Aarons, Lamptey and Laird coming through who look highly talented. Williams would be crazy to declare for England in my opinion.

13. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I'd add Livramento. Long way to go but he looks promising.

14. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Don't forget Bogle at Derby too.

15. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Neco Williams is as English, or based on two grandparents more English, than Woodburn, Ampadu, Mepham, HRK, Vokes, Johnson, Smith, Roberts, Moore etc etc are Welsh. The granny rule is a bit of a sham so doesn't mean he should be able to play for us......birth place of grandparents doesn't give you UK citizenship rights so there is no reason it should be the basis of eligibility criteria for home nations....but the rules apply equally both ways, its hypocritical to say otherwise.
    Welsh fans like to conveniently forget to that Brooks chose England over Wales when he had a straight choice between the two.

16. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    You make some good points but Le tiss and Le Saux weren't foreign born. I believe they are from the channel islands and as such has a british post code and no international football team of their own.

17. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Yeah, I tend to agree. It would be surprising if he chose to switch, but hardly appalling.

18. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    This isn't true.

He always wanted to play for Wales. England called him up for Toulon and he accepted before the Wales call-up came through. Out of respect, he agreed to play for England because he'd already said he would. As soon as the tournament was over, he only considered playing for Wales.

19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    To be brutally honest though, out of respect he should have declined the option of representing a Country he had no intention of playing for in the first place if he didn’t want to play for England imo. It just wasted a spot in England’s squad that could have gone to someone else to gain the experience. I understand when players are torn who to represent but in his case it seemed pretty clear he always wanted to play for Wales.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  20. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    That argument made no sense then and makes no sense now. If he was really focused on his future Wales career then its a little hard to believe that he would have been that concerned about matters of call up etiquette, there was nothing stopping him accepting the Wales call up instead.
    It just doesn't ring true and yet due to his subsequent career direction he was obliged of course to generate an excuse to explain his actions and that seemed the most convenient. Doesn't make it any more plausible though.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  21. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    It makes perfect sense.

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Brooks was in the Wales squad for that Toulon tournament, then he pulled out and minutes later he was selected for the England Toulon squad. It was only later that he was saying he didn’t get a Wales call up first.

That didn’t add up to what actually happened.

23. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    You're basing the timeline on when you saw the squads released publically, rather than acknowledging that things go on behind the scenes that you do not see.

24. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    My personal opinion is once he wasn't in any of the immediate England squads after Toulon he committed himself to Wales. Wales pride themselves on not forcing the hand of any dual nationals and he probably enjoyed the encouragement he got from them and the rest is history.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  25. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    But the argument you are going with is that Wales picked a guy publicly without even agreeing with him that he would join their squad. Which then created a lot of negative and embarrassing headlines in the Welsh press when he had to be pulled to join England.

Then Brooks waited until Boothroyd didn’t pick him for the U21’s after the Toulon to pick Wales. Brooks picked the best option for him personally at every opportunity. The idea that his sole plan was Wales is hard for me to accept.

W.A.S.P. and Garibaldi11 repped this.