English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I’m curious to know if the FA ever tried to call up Halland at younger age groups? Obviously I know he’s Norwegian and nothing would have come of it anyway as he was only born in England because his Dad was working there but just curious if they ever made the call or even thought about it? The kid is a beast and a huge future in the game imo.

2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I mentioned this a while ago and got hammered for it. Shame he plays for Norway, a team that will go nowhere

3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah but didn’t you mention something about Norway stealing him from us or something on those lines as why you got hammered for it? I’m not suggesting anything like that but just wonder if the FA ever made a sneaky approach.

4. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I didnt say steal. I said he should have chosen England

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Fair enough but that was never going to happen and maybe that’s a reason the FA maybe never approached him but I’m just curious to know if they ever tried to be cheeky.

roverman repped this.
  6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Just bullshit from the nigerians. They always claim players switch allegiance

9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Do we know who the other two guys who are thought to be switching?

I find it odd that he’s now doing this now to be honest unless you don’t have to be playing first team football to get into the Nigerian Squad.

10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Its

11. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    It's just the usual tripe from the Nigerians claiming a player has switched allegiance before a player has agreed to it. They did the same with tomori and abraham

12. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    They don’t usually say paperwork has been submitted because that is a two way agreement between player and FA. Trying to fabricate that is illogical. So it sounds real to me.

No idea who the other two are.

13. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Hope it's not saka

14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Looks like Ejaria and Akpom.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  15. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Shame about Lookman. He looked quite good when he first came on the scene.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, I had relatively high hopes for him to be honest but the pathway for him has been tough for whatever reasons but in the main it just feels he was messed about with at Club level but I can’t put any blame on the FA or Southgate for him switching, since he’s not playing any football but still quite surprised at the timing as would have thought he would concentrate on his Club career first to try and establish himself before deciding his International future. If England had ignored him whilst playing a lot of football then fair enough but he hasn’t played hardly any football so am surprised at the timing of the switch.

17. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Not surprised about akpom, hes 24 but ejaria is only 21, they will play for Nigeria for about 5 years then get bored.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  18. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Look at Victor Moses: 38 caps for Nigeria through a six year period and retired at 28 after the World Cup last year.

roverman repped this.
  19. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    38 more caps than he'd have got for England and played at a World Cup. Kid was born in Nigeria and I'm sure was thoroughly proud to represent them.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  20. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Won a major international trophy too

21. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    #2121 TopBanana10, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Why all this animosity toward dual nationality players who don't choose England? Just respect their choice whether it's England or otherwise.

bkbk and Juni repped this.
  22. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No animosity just stating a fact to the argument. I've always respected players on their international decisions, however I do find it odd why he would retire early though. Perhaps all that travel and hassel?

23. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Frustrating as it seems if a player of Nigerian origin doesn't move on to senior squad contention within a year or two of coming out the underage set up - as Abraham and Tomori have done - Nigeria will get their claws in them.
    Lookman rejected them several times when playing under-20 and under-21 level but that Armando Patrick is persistent and will continue to seek to tap up all English talent of Nigerian origin, which is a significant proportion of young black players in this country. Its a danger as so many young England youth players have at least a granny from another country so if you discount them our potential player pool for the future becomes very small indeed, and African countries or the smaller British Isles nations will always offer a quicker route in to senior international football.

roverman and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Lookman said this at the beginning of December:

The England setup keep in occasional contact but he knows he has “a serious decision” to make with the 2022 World Cup in mind. “I’ve not changed my mind [on wanting to represent England] but I’m open and it’s good to have different opportunities,” he says. In three years’ time he will be “not at my peak but good, very good” – that self-belief again – and it is something he wants to demonstrate in Qatar.

Well, a month later he’s changed his mind on representing England and switching to Nigeria despite England seemingly being first choice. :cool:

roverman repped this.
  25. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I've said how I feel about teams like Nigeria , wales etc. There has to be a change in rules. It should, in my opinion, be parents only. Better still, scrap the granny rule altogether otherwise scavengers like Nigeria will keep picking and picking, when a country works hard to develop a player, why should other nations reap the benefits? Lookman was never really going to be in England contention anyway but its players like saka that worry me