English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liamoo11

liamoo11 New Member

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    Nov 19, 2018
    There is no doubt that the English academy system is hugely beneficial to countries such as Ireland not only from gaining 2nd or 3 rd generation players who identify as Irish in the British system but also because most of our most promising homegrown irish players move to top tier British academies at 15/16 and are often linked in with British academies for a year or two before this playing in tournaments and going over and back on school holidays etc at under15 level and are benefiting from the excellent coaching and facilities and competition that these academies provide.

The one flip side is that we are now finding the children of former irish internationals such as Rory delaps son and stephen irelands son been involved in english squads and Kwame ampudu s son playing with wales which is difficult to come to terms with for most irish fans

2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    English academies not British. Why do u Irish act all high and mighty

3. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Worth noting that Rory Delap was born and raised in England though, so Liam Delap's Irish connection is only through his grandparents. Surely Irish fans can come to terms with missing out on that basis?

4. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Irish fans can never come to terms.

5. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I read an interview with Bryan Gunn where he said that he’s tried to convince Angus to play for Scotland many times but he wants to play for the country of his birth. It’s that simple for a lot of players.

David Hurford repped this.
  6. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    For some reason, Irish people think that because someone has an Irish grandparent, they automatically feel Irish above anything else. It's very narrow minded on their part that maybe, just maybe, this person may not feel a connection to Ireland and may only connect with their country of birth. I've noticed they have a very hard time understanding that.

7. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    #1882 AJ123, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    Not sure why Irish fans find it 'hard to come to terms' with Amapdu playing for Wales. The lad was born and raised in England to an Irish raised father (although born in England and of Ghanaian descent) and a Welsh mother. His heritage is very mixed and there's no profound reason why he should play for Ireland.

roverman repped this.
  8. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Marcelo Flores, who has formally signed for Arsenal from ITFC this week, and was at an England U16 camp last year is currently away with the Mexican national team.

I'm not sure if he is even eligible for England, he is for both Canada and Mexico, and most likely the Cayman Islands

9. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I'm the same. 2 Irish grandparents. I feel no affinity to ireIand. I'm 100% english

10. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Me too. 2 Irish grandparents, no connection to Ireland whatsoever.

roverman repped this.
  11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    L.Nmecha did end up making his Germany debut vs England U21, awkward.

12. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Given the Quality of that German Under-21 side its hard to believe Nmecha was actually in there on merit. He literally isn't one of our top ten attackers at that level!

13. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Can't help but think its a cynical ploy by them to get Felix back in.

14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nmecha brother Felix is also an option
    Anyway, Nmecha should not have been the last association changer. "At the back we also have one or the other idea that no one expects," reveals Kuntz, "we try to be creative and resourceful." In Nmechas family you could quickly find something. The two years younger brother Felix, an attacking midfielder, also at ManCity, is already torn and has already completed international matches for both England and Germany's juniors.
    http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/u21/startseite/745466/artikel_der-krimi-um-nmecha.html

15. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Felix hardly got any minutes for England in this break which was curious. Neither England nor Germany qualified for the u19 Euros this time so he won't have a choice to make this summer. That said, the scheduling is so late I'm sure Felix will be hoping that City take him on tour regardless.

16. PalaceYouth

PalaceYouth New Member

Crystal Palace
    Oct 1, 2017
    Palace's Brandon Aveiro, 2001 born, eligible for England and Portugal, has been called up to Portugal U18s. England monitored him at U16s. Not sure he's been close since then though.

David Hurford repped this.
  17. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    One on the long-term radar, Ajax goalkeeper Charlie Setford (04) is a dual nat with England but has been called up into the Dutch U15 squad.

Marcho Gamgee and David Hurford repped this.
  18. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #1893 Garibaldi11, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    He is at the goalkeeper camp at SGP currently on the go.

So far my list includes.

Jack Hall (Sheff Wed)
    Charlie Setford (Ajax)
    Jay-Jay Bristol-Thompson (Blackburn)
    Tom Myles (Man Utd)
    Ronnie Hollingshead (WBA)
    Pierce Charles (Man City)
    Tyler Weeks (Leicester)
    Tom Wooster (Barnsley)

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  19. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Not sure where else to put this but seeing it is here.

Luke Hewitson (Sunderland)

20. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Paul Glatzel undecided about International allegiance.

But Glatzel is relaxed about that particular situation, and says: “No, I've not made a decision about that yet.

“I'll just focus on club football and see where that takes me first and if I have a decision to make in the future I'll have to make it then. I've not got anything decided yet.
    https://www.tribalfootball.com/arti...-final-international-choice-4278244#popup-sso

hussar repped this.
  21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Ash Kigbu and Tom Dele-Bashiru are named in the provisional Nigeria U20 Squad.

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  23. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    1124272137991278593 is not a valid tweet id

No idea if this is true

24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I wouldn’t give it much attention tbh mate. That account doesn’t look like anything that holds great substance. If there is a lot more to the story with quotes in the National press then I might give it more credit.

25. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    No way will he choose Congo. He's a future england international and he knows it

David Hurford and W.A.S.P. repped this.