English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know the USA well and they will usually do the correct thing. They may overage him a bit and put him in an age group above but that'll be it if anything. I really doubt that they call him up and start him in an international qualifier. But they get away with it by playing teams like Trinidad and Tobago. I'll be surprised if any USA fans even know who he is.

2. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I beg to differ. It's always been a habit of mine to watch our players sing the national anthem as I watch the other teams as well. Under Hodgson every player has almost always sang the national anthem before any match. I don't think I've ever sung the Star Spangled Banner at any sporting event I've ever been to because it's always done by a singer. If I ever go to a USMNT Match then I'll be tested.

3. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    They don't need to start him - Just need to give him 10 seconds at the end of a qualifier or in the Gold Cup.

4. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What ever happened to that one kid from Chelsea who was being looked at by Barca among others 2 years ago. His name was Scott I believe and I think he plays for the USA, qualifies for us and Scotland.

5. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Not a lot.

6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Hodgson on Grealish -

"We've been in regular contact with him and his family and his advisers. He's fully aware that if he wants to play for England we'd be very happy to take him," added the England coach.

"But he has to 100% be allowed to decide himself and it should not be anyone in particular telling him to change allegiance if that is not what he wants to do."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32840053

dbs235 repped this.
  7. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the comment about an England call-up being inflammatory at the moment was perhaps the most telling. If he's so far along in his thinking that he's worrying about the atmosphere at the Ireland game then that suggests to me that he's pretty confident about Grealish playing for England.

Also from the Guardian:

Hodgson said the FA’s technical director, Dan Ashworth, had been in regular contact with the Aston Villa midfielder and his family to make it clear England want him to defect from Ireland.

Gareth Southgate, the England Under‑21s manager, and Aidy Boothroyd, for the Under-20s, have also made personal pleas to try to bring Grealish on board while the Solihull-born player is still eligible for both countries.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/21/roy-hodgson-england-jack-grealish

dbs235, Marcho Gamgee and W.A.S.P. repped this.
  8. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sounds pretty promising. Hadn't heard much from our side up until now.

9. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think soon after the Ireland match we'll know who Grealish will pledge to.

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I'm not sure about that because Hodgson rambles on all the time and is always good for a quote that can insinuate towards one thing and mean nothing. Likely to be just talking about how it would have been tough for him to play in that game regardless of whether he wants too or not.

11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  12. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How can anyone take those seriously.

13. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Interesting quote from Aston Villa's former Academy Director Bryan Jones regarding Grealish (and a good article in general)
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/29/jack-grealish-not-overawed-fa-cup-final-arsenal

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    The situation needs to be resolved at senior level but I think Jack and his father know what they’re going to do.

If thats the case and they already know what there going to do, why the delay for committing to Ireland? This could be a sign for the future but you just never know.

15. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
  16. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Indeed, as a famous philanderer said back in the sixties before being shot by a Left-wing zealot: think not what your country can do for you, you ********, think what you can do for your country.

sinner78 repped this.
  17. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Was hoping they'd show if Grealish was singing the national anthem, but they didn't!

18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I'm glad they didn't. From an English perspective, I think it's ridiculous to pin so much importance on him singing an anthem that a lot of English people don't relate to or even care about very much. And on the flip-side, if he had sung it, it would have been pretty ridiculous for Irish fans to have given him a hard time for failing to disown the country that he's lived in for his entire life. In either case, it wouldn't have told us where his footballing future lay, but lots of people would have acted like it did.

Still, there's every chance that somebody from the crowd will report back and we'll get a round of pointless speculation regardless.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  19. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is Grealish going to make his decsion pretty soon? He did say that he will make it when the season is over.

20. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He's also said he'd decide in September. I doubt he'll announce anything soon. Maybe wait to see if a call-up for the San Marino game is offered.

21. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Give Grealish a call up for the u21s next season - see how he does.

22. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It would probably help if Ireland keep losing in the Euro qualifiers. Remember the big seller to Januzaj was a place in the Belgian world cup sqaud. Not saying when we will qualify that there will be a place Grealish. It probably is easier to get into the senior squad than the U21's becasue of politics.

23. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Usually the U21's play in a frendly in August after every tournament (may be in Sept. now). That would be a good time to give him a chance when the squad will be wide open.

24. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    With a player of his potential, it might be best to just give him what he wants (e.g. offer him a senior call up rather than the under-21's). Pogba is a good example. He wanted to be starting for Man Utd and basically the old fashioned "you're just an unproven kid so don't make demands etc" attitude meant he ended up going to Juventus and now look at him. Point of the story - we don't want to be like Man Utd and Ireland to be like Juventus.
    I realise that that will be hard to take for some people who'll say he's not good enough for the senior yet, he isn't, but he will be.
    EDIT: Decided that he is actually good enough for the seniors, considering we've got Vardy in there.

25. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    The way Hodgson was talking about him I got the impression that a senior call-up would be on the table in September for the San Marino game if he wanted it.