English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He won't get in the England team ahead of Henderson.

2. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Decland Rice got MOTM today. Really hope he goes with England. Wonder what the bookies reckon? :cautious:

3. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    You should let the Irish media know about this. They've published a load of articles this evening worrying about him performing well while being watched by England coaches today.

4. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The Bookies have him 4/1 to play for England and 1/6 to play for Ireland . They believe strongly he will play for us . The bookies are seldom wrong . Hard luck England.

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  6. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
  7. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    27 isn't old. It's not like club football where you're committing money, time and a squad space into someone.

8. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    I might be desperate for someone who can play football in the middle of the park, but I like what I've seen of him. Good technique, nice composure on the ball. With the lack of technical CM at disposal I'm all for it

9. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    I haven't seen him in the PL yet but he was excellent in the Championship - I wouldn't be worried if he got a chance in the squad to see if he could cut it. He clearly isn't bothered by Scotland so why not

10. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He's in his peak years and obviously doesn't want to play for Scotland so why not give him a shot? He's more technically sound than any of our current midfielders/

11. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Yeah he's a good player. He's also non-tenuously English. If he's interested then it's worth finding out if he can do a job in international football. May as well sound him out.

12. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    Fair, but hes also not at an age where he's going to significantly improve. And each to their own but I personally don't see him as "technically better" than Alli, Lallana, Lingard or RLC, or even Hughes for that matter. I just don't see how he would be a significant enough upgrade to pursue. :)

13. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Alli and Lingard are not CM, they don't dictate from midfield. RLC has the tools but for some reason Southgate plays him in another position. We really need a CM who can take the ball under pressure and pass forward. More than one actually

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  15. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    I honestly saw ojo going this way because hes quite a distance from the seniors. Its frustrating because hes the kind of player like zaha who we may not see the best of until hes 25 or so.would be sad to lose him

16. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    "Of course, if I was to get selected I'd definitely think about it, I'd never turn down Nigeria," said Ojo.

"I'm from Nigeria originally so it'd be an honour, likewise with England as well. If I keep doing well, opportunities will come by for club and country.

"It's not really something I'm thinking about at the moment but you never know what could happen in the future."

Definitely maybe.

17. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Ojo says himself the Nigerian FA haven't contacted him. It seems like a Nigerian journalist has asked him if he'll play for Nigeria and he didn't rule it out. Not much more to it.

Not having the exact questions asked in articles like this allow the interviewers to frame stuff however they want.

18. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've honestly thought that Ojo could switch to Nigeria because he's very talented, but hasn't gotten many call ups to England. He should do his homework on how Nigeria selects their players and tries to cap tie them.

19. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree. We could really use someone like Rice, but he's 19 and too young right now while this guy is 27 and fit right into our squad.

20. David Brooks

David Brooks Member

Jun 23, 2017
    Does anyone else fear that we might regret it if Dan Crowley goes to Ireland? He's had a rough couple of years but he seems to be back on track (another goal and assist this weekend) and he certainly has the talent to play for England. We are not exactly over-run with No 10s, and to tamely let one go, seems short-sighted. Surely he's not far from being deserving of U21 recognition?

hussar repped this.
  21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Unfortunately it's not merely a case of tamely letting a player go. The U21 squad is very competitive and even with a call up there is no guarantee of a game. That is compared to playing and maybe even starting senior international games for a player that wants as much recognition as possible to gain a big move.

The headlines after the fact will no doubt blame England but there is never any context added to the situation or circumstances of the decision.

22. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    He doesn't necessarily deserve a call up right now (even though I probably would give him one), but then again I wanted him in the Toulon squad. I think what's more important is how England have treated him since he played in the U19s. If they've just completely ghosted him, then it's concerning. That's how you lose guys like Zaha or potentially Ojo. You've gotta keep them keen in the bad times too.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  23. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Looks like west ham are trying to force Rice to play for England by offering him pittance . It seems to me, it's a case of declare for Ireland and we will pay you 15,000 a week. Declare for England and we will offer you 30,000 a week.

https://tinyurl.com/y8rcn57p

24. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    That last part is an invention of your imagination though.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  25. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England