English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Because England would need the paperwork ratified with FIFA because Grealish has played competitive games for Ireland. There isn't really enough time to get that resolved.

2. b-El

b-El Member

May 6, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I might be wrong here but, the switch can only be made once right? If so, just applying for the paper work means Ireland's permanently out of the picture. Probably why he'll hang around the Irish U-21 until he's too good for Roy to ignore.

3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Yeah he can't switch again if he chooses to do so. I think it's got to the point now that he can't keep refusing senior call ups for Ireland and still play for their U21's. I would expect a decision to be made at the start of next season.

4. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    The Irish reckon that the FA were in his ear yesterday morning and that's why he did an apparent u-turn on a squad place.

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-starlet-jack-grealish-5686899

Im not sure there was ever a U-turn to be honest. Theres another story doing the rounds that MON named him in the squad without actually contacting him and then got the jitters in that morning of naming the squad, called the Grealish family and Jack and was told he didnt want to be involved as he has taken a year out. Thats when the mystery hour delay went into overdrive as new squad list had to be sorted and probably another player. I dont know but it certainly Feels from this article that they are sticking to there Guns about an International year out to concerntrate on Villa so I dont think a call up was never accepted in the first place.

6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  7. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    The Irish press has been wrong every step of the way. They don't know. They're just making stuff up minute by minute to keep the story going.

The latest is that he supposedly agreed on Monday only to change his mind yesterday morning, or alternatively that evil Tim Sherwood pulled him out of the squad while encouraging Hodgson to call up Villa's unequivocally English players. But then you have Grealish's Dad saying quite clearly that they weren't contacted until yesterday morning and were never going to go back on their plan for Jack to concentrate on club football until September.

So whatever, really. We'll know when we know, but I'm not taking the Irish press's word for anything until it's confirmed.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, its all gone a bit quiet on that front but I bet Behind the scenes this has been going on over the past year since he seemed to stop being selected for England or made himself unavailable. It appears no one really knows what is going on there in terms of not being selected for our squads.

Guess were going to have to add him to the Dual thread " sigh ". :confused:

9. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He seemed to like his time in the squad, which is odd. Remember Rossiter made himself unavailable last year and now I don't think he got selected for any U-18 or U-19 matches for England at all when he is cetently qualified by skill to make it in. That's what happens when you make yourself unavailable. It'll be very hard for him to make an empression again.

10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Just pulled this quote from an interviews with Bamford today

"After this [play-offs], I’m concentrating on the Euros with England so I think by the time I’m back from the Euros I can sit down with Chelsea and see what’s happening."

I really dont know where the Irish media or fans get there information from as that rumour about Bamford switching seems like it couldnt be further from the truth! I dont and never believed that rumour and its comical that it was ever brought up. I think it was wishful thinking on there part and maybe trying to plant seeds to Bamford for the future!

11. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I recall Rossiter did get called up for the u18s and attended.

12. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Connor Ronan:

“I’ve seen a few of them (England players) around the hotel and had a chat with them.

“I’m looking forward to playing England and showing them what they are missing really.”

“Both my grandparents on my dad’s side are Irish. My granddad (Liam) is from Kilkenny and my grandma (Veronica) is from Galway.

“Going away with England, that went well. But when I was away with England I knew I was going away with Ireland the week after, so it was just to see what it was like.

“I wanted to get an experience and to see which one I’d prefer to play for.”

“It’s the atmosphere in the group. With Ireland, it felt like more of a team,”

“Everyone is more together, and you feel more involved.”

The second line is interesting. Maybe he knew he wouldn't get in the team.

13. PoliteSquats

PoliteSquats Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Given that Crowley hasn't played for Ireland either makes makes me think he's just electing to focus on club football for now.

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah thats quite interesting, was also quite curious about the different atmosphere within the two camps, more of a togetherness and more of a team? Wonder what he meant by that, more prima donna's within the England set up?

I actually thought he looked quite promising as a player, small lad but looked technically sound, think he could be one of those that improves even more as he gets older.

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    When Ronan was with England it was pretty much a trial squad for certain players to get into contention for a place in the qualifying squad. Not really comparable to the feeling of knowing you have a pretty certain chance of playing all games for the other squad you are in. Ronan also did an interview after his England games saying it was unbelievable and enjoyable too.

16. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Competitive games for Ireland would bind him to them though. He might be pulling a Grealish and taking time out until he has to decide.

17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Another article on the Grealish saga;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ernational-future-final-decision-pivotal.html

Found it interesting that he was invited by Blake and Peacock to St Georges but Noel King instead promoted him to Eire's U21 as persuming they were worried Grealish might switch ( doesnt say that but could be a theory as seems a coinsidence that he gets an invite by us then gets a Sudden promotion to their U21's) and Grealish thought it would be better for his developement so accepted instead of playing in under age groups for us.

18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    All of these articles so far always miss things out completely or get things wrong about the timeline/history of his international youth pathway.

19. ATRIYA KOP BANIK

ATRIYA KOP BANIK New Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    i would like to add Ben Woodburn's name to this thread, he looked extremely talented midfielder what i little saw of him.. Quick dribbler.. He chose Wales over us in last victory shield.. Just dont want him to be another Tyler Roberts..

20. ATRIYA KOP BANIK

ATRIYA KOP BANIK New Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    i would like to add Ben Woodburn's name to this thread, he looked extremely talented midfielder what i little saw of him.. Quick dribbler.. He chose Wales over us in last victory shield.. Just dont want him to be another Tyler Roberts..

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Do you know what the Welsh connection with Roberts and Woodburn? Just wondering how strong there roots are.

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  23. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He definitely won't sing it then, if only to keep his options open. To be fair many English players don't sing even in international games, never mind the FA Cup.

24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah that and also it wouldnt surprise me if he gets advised before the game not to sing it even if he wanted to as the backlash he could get on Twitter probably isnt worth it. I wonder if Matt Holland would have sung the anthem before his FA Cup final had social media been in full swing then.

25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #125 Marcho Gamgee, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
    Hope you dont mind but Just adding this to the Dual Thread to discuss further if anyone wants to add any more info. :)

I also think it would be very obvious what the US are doing if they give the guy a senior call up at this stage when hes not even played 1 minute of first team football. Really hope common sense prevails and if he was to be called up just to get him capped so we cant get him, he would decline.