English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I see Joe Hodge, Lewis Fiorini and Brennan Johnson have all been called up to their Countries U21 teams during this International window. Probably lost to our system now I would imagine but I guess you never know aka Rice and Grealish.

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Brennan Johnson is now in Wales’ senior squad after injury replacements.

3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Oh right yeah, just checked. Oh well no coming back now for him, good luck to him.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  4. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    No great loss

5. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    That was referencing Johnson. Fiorini looks a prospect. Unfortunately peasant countries like Wales Scotland and Ireland will always look to steal our talent

6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Oh mate, you have to stop this! I get that you hate losing English born and raised players but calling Countries peasants is just not on.

7. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I know. It was tongue in cheek

8. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    I took it as a joke. But can also relate to what you're saying. Countries, regardless of how big or small, should produce their own players and stop looking to their bigger neighbours for scraps.
    Thank God it's only players like woodburn and brooks instead of Sancho, grealish, Hudson odio etc. We definitely have the better end of the deal.

roverman repped this.
  9. Flying Columnist

Villa
    Aug 30, 2020
    Hodge is playing for Ireland through one Irish or even Irish born, according to some reports, grandmother. He's scholar of the year in the Man City academy and is 17 years old and suddenly in the under 21 set up.

New Ireland manager has said he'll fast track cases where it merits it and won't allow more Grealish / Rice type sagas & this looks like that to me.

I don't expect Southgate or the FA to sit back and watch this one.

roverman and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Our fa should fight back. These countries fast track players for the sake of it. Its quite pathetic (and this comment isn't tongue in cheek)

11. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Trouble is the welsh are convinced players like woodburn and brooks would be genuine England material. Laughable. They wouldn't get close to our senior team. They even think ampadu should play with silva next season. A guy that played 5 games for liepzig. Also think he's better than rice, again Laughable

12. Flying Columnist

Villa
    Aug 30, 2020
    I think the FA is fine with lads getting experience underage with other countries and even encourages it because there isn't space enough to accommodate all the players coming through at any one time. Communication continues with the players and ultimately England have yet to lose a player that really impacted at a high club or international level.

Its too early to say Hodge is the real thing but he's doing a good impression of it. Eligibility is one thing, he's Irish eligible but national identity is another topic entirely, it can be layered and complex but there is no way this particular guy can feel more Irish than he does English, not with his background. But it looks like Ireland are going to give him a decision to make very quickly and offer him senior international pathway.

He may well take it. He's turned up for the 21s on this understanding.

13. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Hopeful for Maitland-Niles to get a run later in this one...

roverman repped this.
  14. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Thankfully it is done.

With Phillips, Maitland-Niles and Greenwood cap-tied I can now enjoy a significant decrease in the level of delusion among Jamaican fantasy XIs.

Unfortunately Holgate was not in this squad, but if Southgate can sort that for next time, that'd be great. Tired of hearing about him too.

In other news:

- Nathan Redmond was on instagram flying the Jamaican flag while on holiday. This is getting hopes up since Redmond is not a player who has played up his Jamaican heritage much before and hopeful Jamaica fans tend to take any wink or nudge at said heritage to heart.

There are now separate reports from some credible sources circling about Redmond supposedly getting ready to give up on England and accept a Jamaica invite if he is called.

This interest could be genuine - Redmond is 26 and has been passed over for a while. I'm cynical, however, because he's a quality (I'd say underrated) EPL footballer, and he's still not too old to be hopeful (remember, Jamie Vardy exists). A great run of form in 2021 could get him a long way.

Let's see if, in combination with decent form this season, the increased reporting re: Jamaican links to Redmond tempts Southgate. It worked for Kalvin and Ainsley.

- Rolando Aarons reportedly has all his paperwork set (it wasn't as much as others since he was born on the island) and is ready to be called up. The hype surrounding him has fallen a long way but he has enough quality to be a nice addition for us.

- Brentford has a bunch of eligible players - Rico Henry, Ollie Watkins and Ethan Pinnock are all on the JFF radar, as are former Arsenal left back Dominic Thompson and new League One signee Ivan Toney. Henry has some England youth experience and was almost in the 2017 U20 WC side but for an injury withdrawal. Watkins has had an almost Vardy-esque rise through the lower leagues.

Pinnock is almost certainly not a factor for England and I doubt Thompson and Toney are on the radar as yet but I could see some hope for Henry and Watkins, especially as they get opportunities in the EPL soon. We'll see how that goes.

roverman and wellno repped this.
  15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    If Greenwood doesn't get another cap in the next 3 years u might still have a chance

16. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    True, but what are the odds?

Unless there are a bunch of injuries and a few more Scandinavian models coming out to get him in quarantine trouble, I think it's done for him.

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  17. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I think u have more chance of getting perry mason

18. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I hope Maitland-Niles enjoyed his 4 minutes.

Such predatory capping.

19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    He should have played plenty more considering the system and personnel that was available. Not sure what Southgate was playing at tbh, very bizarre tactics from him.

Placid Casual repped this.
  20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Compared to swooping in on other country's players? If Jamaica want a successful national team maybe they need to start looking closer to home

21. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

Congratulations on the stupidest post in here.

ChristianSur and roverman repped this.
  22. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

I think the septic has a bee in his bonnet about us capping an English born player who has only ever played for England age group teams.

Seems to think he should play for Jamaica

roverman repped this.
  23. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Bizarre logic, any dual national who makes a debut is predatory in that case, was it predatory when Kane made his debut against Lithuania or Chilwell against Switzerland?

ChristianSur and roverman repped this.
  24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, was just being diplomatic but sure it’s not like England has any obligation or thought about other Countries with regards to giving minutes to players that want to play for our Country.

Placid Casual and roverman repped this.
  25. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Oh I know you were being diplomatic.

The other poster is just ignorant.

roverman and Marcho Gamgee repped this.