English players Dual Nationality thread #2

Discussion in 'England' started by roverman, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #2301 Fireburn47, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    It happens in most countries. The Netherlands for example loses pretty much every player with Moroccan heritage. There is a conscious decision by the FA to not really push and encourage players either way when some other counties do push.
    The big factor is majority seem to switch for a senior place and that is hard to fight against.

AJ123 repped this.
  2. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Whilst it’s admirable to be like that and let the player to decide without any pressure, it could also work against you if you don’t show the player you really want them to stay. You’re right though about a place with seniors seems to be the attraction with makes you wonder about Mighten as you wouldn’t have thought he was that close to the USA seniors. Another interesting call up is Shea Charles who got called up to Northern Ireland senior squad, I mean he’s a good young talent but never played a senior game at any level.

3. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    What do people propose we do? I can't really see the point in crying about it. The changing in FIFA eligibility rules with expanded tournaments, the uptick in quality players coming through the English system and immigration patterns since 2000 has created a perfect storm which is hitting right now. I suppose Brexit will mean less players like Carvalho, Musiala and Nmecha but then less chance of getting some of those players in the first place.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  4. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    How many of the switchers mentioned above are affected by the most recent rule changes? Hudson- Odoi?

5. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    We've always lost players to Wales,Scotland and both Irelands. So I mean its nothing new. What I've never understood is why players commit themselves so early if they are switching for other reasons than patriotism.

roverman repped this.
  6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Exactly. If you want to play for England you have to have the desire and be prepared to compete for a place. The majority of those switching also have parents that are from the country they are choosing. So it’s not as if they don’t have strong connection.

The only real surprise was Yunus Musah moving when he did. But if you think about it where would he be in our system now? Probably similar to Angel Gomes atm? A lot of these moves become circumstantial. If Musah had stuck with us until now he would probably now be considering switching for a WC with Ghana.

Garibaldi11, AJ123, Gaz811 and 1 other person repped this.
  7. EqualiseFirst

EqualiseFirst New Member

Liverpool FC
    Northern Ireland
    Aug 22, 2020
    Shea has been playing for NI since he was 14 years old and is one of our brighter prospects, but he is only in the senior squad this early because we have 12 players missing from the senior squad for one reason or another.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  8. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see Michael olise was left out of the France 21s squad this week. Not sure if he's injured.
    Fair play to the guy for trying his hand with the french team (and all the talent they have at their disposal) but I feel like he's going to get lost in their system.
    I think he'd be much better suited to England, especially when he's already been mentioned by Southgate and carsley.
    Seems a shame to lose him.

9. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Olise is out injured

Iansutton270390 repped this.
  10. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Had a feeling. Still think he's more suited to the England setup though. Shame we lost him.

11. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I don’t think he is interested in England for some reason.

12. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Im sorry and I know this will upset a few people on these threads but I just find this extremely strange. Look, I know the lad will probably never be good enough to play for England but he’s playing for a Country he will never had had any emotional connection with until he found out his ancestry. I just don’t get it, especially when last Summer he was bouncing around with his mates whenever England scored a goal in the Euro’s………Just a convenience move to get him a Prem move. Not sure how Hungarians should feel about that.

14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    The Hungarian Goverment make a lot of comment about it’s diaspora at the moment so in those circles at least he will be well received I suspect

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    He is very open in that interview. Quite surprising to read. Maybe it’s the new normal.

The German player that just switched to the US turned up and basically said he would of had to wait two years to get a chance with Germany. So, he picked the US because he can get into their WC squad now lol.

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  16. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Tillman must of been promised a place in this years World Cup squad then.

17. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    at least he is being honest about it and not claiming to be Hungarian lol

18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I don't particularly care about where players were born (less still their accents), but surely having grown up somewhere is the least arbitrary criterion there is if it means that they've developed as a person and a footballer within that country's structures and institutions.

19. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    On Djed Spence. I'll have to agree with Fireburn on this one. Even Trent and James struggle for regular minutes in this team. Dual right backs have to be looking at that position for England and be thinking it's one of the hardest positions in international football to break into. In the medium term options will open up with Trippier and Walker aging so Spence might hold on for a while. It will be interesting to see him develop at Spurs next season.

Talking of other countries. Spanish born Garnacho who plays for United is doing brilliantly for Argentina u20s since switching. He now has 5 goals in 4 games. That's the two best foreign youngsters at United that have switched from major nations now. I think Garnacho may make an impact in the Premier League next season.

20. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    I think our rb options will dwindle after the world Cup. Tripper and walker will most likely retire from international football or Southgate will think its time to bring in some new blood.
    Southgate don't rate Trent as a rb, that's for certain, he tries to play him as a mid. So that basically leaves james.
    I think that position will be very open in the next few months.

21. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I'm not convinced they'll retire. Trippier is 31 and Walker is 32. They should both fancy at least one more major international tournament each. I can see Trippier being less involved on merit though.

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think I heard a question being asked to Southgate the other day with regard to the right backs and maybe I read too much into it but he did say that some ( Walker & Trippier) are getting older and won’t be around too much longer which possibly could hint at a phasing out period after the World Cup.

23. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    You can speculate all you want about players wanting to switch nationalities because of tough competition! But why would you switch to Jamaica? To possibility play I’m a World Cup which is no certainty at all and if they do make it(and that’s a big if) to play three group games of which they get pumped by bigger nations.

24. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    DJed spence will only switch when he is a few years older and his career hasn’t gone to plan and there’s no clear route to the England team.

25. Manchaks

Manchaks New Member

Man Utd
    France
    Feb 2, 2022
    and you know this how ? Do you know him or his family to speak with such ignorant confidence (bordering on arrogance) ? The time where players of dual heritage fall in line and wait for a chance with England, is basically over. The sooner you and anyone else that thinks like you, understands that, the better.