English players Dual Nationality thread #2

Discussion in 'England' started by roverman, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Totally agree, they can’t keep them all happy, I’m guessing a very large number of theses players are dual players too. Whoever misses out on this years World Cup and other competitive tournaments will bring grievances of these players.

2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    The u.s have 6 non American born players in their latest squad

3. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Soon the World Cup will look more like the Champions League !!

I recall about 10 years ago the German squad had more Polish born players than German born !!

roverman repped this.
  4. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    And of the six two were born in England as well as Musah.

roverman repped this.
  5. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    England have three.

6. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    True but they weren't poached from there countries of born. They'd lived in England most of there lives.

roverman repped this.
  7. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    #2282 ADM99, May 30, 2022
    Last edited: May 30, 2022

Ronnie McGrath named in Ireland's U19 squad. Winger at Leeds who's been involved a fair amount with England but recently hasn't been selected for the U17s.

Nathan Fraser & Jimmy Storer at Wolves also get first call-ups I believe.

James Golding is the older brother of Chelsea's Michael Golding.

8. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    We've decided that this is important arbitrarily.

Athlone, ColinA_1717 and Juni repped this.
  9. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I think the only players who played for England without living in England (or the Channel Islands) for at least part of their childhood is Tony Dorigo and Owen Hargreaves.

Gaz811 repped this.
  10. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Unlike the US and some other countries,The only players we've poached from others countries I can think of in the last 10 years is Rice and Grealish and both were born in England and never lived in Ireland. So basically we were poaching them back. So arbitrarity or not the FA don't really poach players from other countries. If that were the case Fabio Carvalho would have a British passport by now.

roverman repped this.
  11. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    What I'm saying is that you've assigned importance to the place someone lives arbitrarily. You could just as easy assign that importance to birthplace or ethnicity. You've said that it's different because those players have lived here, but you haven't explained why that's important.

Athlone repped this.
  12. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Because they have grown up with an English culture whatever that is

13. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    #2288 Gaz811, May 30, 2022
    Last edited: May 30, 2022
    What I was getting at is if you take someone like Stirling, He wasn't playing for Jamicans U18s was he. The FA didn't offer him a senior cap and a place in the world cup squad.Well nationalty is arbitrarily theres lot of people who consider themselves Scottish but were born in England. Boris Johnson was born in America. Churchills mother was American.

roverman repped this.
  14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  15. TRS-T

TRS-T Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    I think you should play for the country of your accent - your accent shows where you come from.

So I think Hargreaves should have played for Canada and Dorigo for Australia.

What accent do Carvalho and Musiala have?

16. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #2291 Fireburn47, May 31, 2022
    Last edited: May 31, 2022
    I know someone who was born and raised in England and sounds quite Irish because his mum is. He hasn’t even visited Ireland much as his mum moved over as teenager with her family.

Some kids seem to be able to change accents easily even when moving as a teenager but others don’t or adopt a hybrid accent.

For Carvalho and Musiala it would be hard to describe on that because their accent in their first language is likely to still be native (Bilingual people can have different accents for the languages their speak. )
    Musiala in English sounds like a hybrid of English and German - in some words he sounds fairly English but then others words he sounds more like a German speaking English.
    Carvalho sounds more English and could be mistaken as a first Language English speaker.

roverman repped this.
  17. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Accents :D ********ing hell we're scraping the barrel here.

dbs235, AJ123, roverman and 2 others repped this.
  18. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Who should Harry Styles play for? Ireland,Australia or America? o_O

19. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Probably the 'shemales are us' team ;)

20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2295 ChuckMe92, May 31, 2022
    Last edited: May 31, 2022
    Brian Sciaretta is as reliable of a reporter as it gets from the US side. He says today Alex Mighten is in the process filing a one-time switch to the USMNT. He has interviewed Mighten in person before.

http://www.americansoccernow.com/ar...tte-fc-mighten-richards-and-mls-weekend-games

The USMNT pool now includes players developed by Germany (Tillman, Brooks), England (Musah, Antonee Robinson, Carter-Vickers, Otasowie, Odunze, Mighten), Netherlands (Dest), and France (Siebatcheu-Pefok). The US simply doesn't have the depth of these nations so better chance of playing time for a team that usually makes the WC is a major calling card -- and the influence of the US brand plays a factor too. Obviously the US missed the last WC but generally they do qualify, which can make them a bit more appealing to switch to, compared to some of the other similar national teams looking at these dual-nationals.

21. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Another strange one for us to lose, not really sure what it says for the current system to see someone who's been active in the England youth system swap it for another youth system - add that to the Nmecha's, Carvalho as well in the past couple of years.

At least with people like Musah they're going from youth team to senior team but I really can't imagine Mighten has much in the way of guarantees.

22. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Nobody really knows what the Americans are saying to get so many switchers.

23. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I'd expect them to call him to senior squad for friendlies before the World Cup at least if he's elligible. He wasn't in the last u20 squad for England which is largely an u21 B team so perhaps he thinks he has better chance at progression in the US set up. It would be a pretty big surprise if he became good enough for the England senior team one day given how his career has gone so far. There's long been talk of him switching to the US as well.

24. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Do you really find it strange that Nmecha and Carvalho went to play for the country of their birth? They both came to England as older children.

In the case of Nmecha, he wasn't getting into the England u21 squad when he switched.

25. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    In isolation there are justifications yet it cannot be ignored England is continuously bleeding tremendous amounts of talent. If Lamptey and CHO go as seems all but certain you could make an under 21 eligible team of:

------------------------------------------Long---------------------------------------------------
    ---Lamptey------------Ampadu---------------Latibeaudiere-------------------Bassey----
    -------------------------Musah---------Carvalho------Musiala------------------------------
    -------------------------Olise------------Broja---------CHO-----------------------------------

Bassey is one day off eligbility, but i'm counting him as its hard enough to find left backs as it is, and the goalkeeper is not someone who'd be on the radar but most that team walk into the current under 21 side.

England previously did well holding onto players till after under 21's but in the last couple of years that has changed to bleeding players. Already there's enough talent in that eleven alone (plenty outside as well who would walk into our u-21's like Brennan Johnson), and many of them have played for England at youth level at some point.

England will live to regret losing the talent we already have done, and judging by recent windows this is a trend that's only getting worse and worse.

Marcho Gamgee and roverman repped this.