English players Dual Nationality thread #2

Discussion in 'England' started by roverman, Sep 26, 2020.

1. arkantiger

arkantiger Member

Chelsea
    Lebanon
    Jun 8, 2021
    As somebody who has probably spent more time than most on here in Ireland I can tell you it is true. Its 2021, the "old homeland" and romantic diaspora stick is a long outdated popular media invention used when convenient (e.g when they need footballers or to take money from tourists who believe they are Irish). Irish people do not actually consider an Australian with Irish grandparents to be Irish, anymore than somebody from Dublin is considered to be from Galway because their grandparents were. In reality it would be beyond bizarre to do so.

If Kevin Kilbane, or Declan Rice or Jack Grealish had never played football and walked into a pub in Ireland claiming to be irish do you really think they would be greeted as Irish? I can assure you they would not. They would be plastic paddys, which is what Irish players (when they weren't talking to the media) had no problem classing Jack grealish as.

Marcho Gamgee and roverman repped this.
  2. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Completely agree with this. I grew up in an Irish family in a huge Irish area. I've always considered myself English and never felt a connection with Ireland at all. Anybody within the community that was born in England was ripped for saying they were Irish. Mind you, they were very few and far between.
    I think Ireland were always happy to claim these English lads as their own, so long as they showed a passion for playing for Ireland. Once they even showed a glimpse of looking at England, they were called English ********.
    I think that in itself will show you how the Irish view their diaspora.

roverman repped this.
  3. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    I heard Mark Lawrenson on Irish radio, and he was saying he would have to emigrate if England won. I assumed he must have born in Ireland and moved to England at a young age or been born in England to Irish parents. It turns out he only has one Irish grandparent (he’s probably less Irish than 50% of people I know, including myself), the England captain is even more Irish than him, it’s all very strange.

Slater582, roverman and Iansutton270390 repped this.
  4. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    To be fair, mark lawrenson has got to be the most depressing person I've ever seen. If they want him, they can have him. And I'll even drive him over there myself.

ESBFC123 and roverman repped this.
  5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Thats quite funny because I’m sure once when he was a pundit on Match of the Day, he once said ‘ We ‘ when he was referring to an England game a few years back. :ROFLMAO:

6. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    COME ON ENGLAND

Slater582, ESBFC123 and roverman repped this.
  7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    ESBFC123, wellno and roverman repped this.
  8. JTay

JTay Member

England
    Apr 27, 2019
    Noticed that as well, if he was open to playing for England I wouldn't rule out a senior call up next season, especially with the lack of English GKs in the Premier League next season.

9. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Hopefully we at least have some contact with him at this point. Keeper squad places in both the seniors and U21’s are wide open.

ESBFC123, roverman and JTay repped this.
  10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #1185 Marcho Gamgee, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    1415586934714425353 is not a valid tweet id

Would be odd if this is the reason he wants to switch since most of the online abuse comes from outside of the UK.

Edit: Oh, unsurprisingly fake news apparently

11. JTay

JTay Member

England
    Apr 27, 2019
    All the reports were from random African media outlets - best to always ignore African journalists as usually the stories are fabricated.

12. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Worth noting this from a guy who's young black son plays for Arsenal

It may have some effect on some dual nationals.

13. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Worth posting this, looks like the support received from fans has made the lad feel better

1415209150280355841 is not a valid tweet id

Gaz811, ESBFC123, ChristianSur and 2 others repped this.
  14. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Don't know if anyone has heard of him but I'm seeing some reports that mipo odubeko has turned down Ireland u21s again. I've been reading the Irish forums too and there seems to be a feeling that he's gonna try it with england.
    Seems quite highly rated at West ham. Whether he makes it or not is another question.

roverman repped this.
  15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Yes they're pissed off with him on ybig forum

Iansutton270390 repped this.
  16. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Does he qualify for England? Wiki said he moved here aged 14 so that would suggest not? Could be holding out for Nigeria which is a big step up from Ireland as well.

17. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Follows England football on insta, I’ve seen somewhere on internet that he came here at 13 , which would make him eligible I believe, not sure though.

AJ123 and roverman repped this.
  18. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Some Irish say he moved here at 10. I have to admit, he doesn't have one scrap of an Irish accent which would prove he's been here quite a while. Definitely eligible for England though.

Ste walker and roverman repped this.
  19. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    From what I found online he last played football in Ireland as an u13 before moving to Manchester so that would suggest that he could qualify. I remember both him and Sotana when they were at United. I think both have gone cold on playing for Ireland.

Iansutton270390 and roverman repped this.
  20. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    It's an interesting turn of events that we're stealing Irish born players off Ireland these days. Ahh well they've had their fair share off us no doubt.

roverman repped this.
  21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Still to conclude if that’s the case though but guess we will wait and see and is he even good enough? Have we ever capped an Irish born turncoat though as I can’t ever recall if that has happened before?

22. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    I don't believe so. We've had English born turncoats who have played for Ireland and then reverted back to England but no Irish born to my knowledge.
    I've seen this kid is highly rated at West ham. May even get a good run this season, who knows.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  23. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Kilbane will be going mad

24. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Let's not even mention james McLean

roverman repped this.
  25. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Kristopher quesada eligible for England and Costa rica might be on the verge of a call up to the Ireland underage team. Has an Irish mother