English players Dual Nationality thread #2

Discussion in 'England' started by roverman, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

Not sure this is the best way go about trying to get into the England squad. Don’t think Southgate will pick him based on this threat to switch to Congo if he’s not picked!

2. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    he simply offers nothing going forward that's why he never gets a look in

3. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    It's not true that he offers nothing going forward. He's improved on that side of his game this season and has 2 goals and 2 assists in the Premier League.

4. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    when you compare him to the 4 right back in front of him, he offers nothing, yes he is a good player and yes he has improved but not nearly enough to jump those 4 players

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    If Southgate continues with playing a back three then maybe AWB could be an option at right centre back, say next to Stones and Maguire. He’s a very solid defender and great when it comes to 1 v 1’s and since it’s unlikely Gomez will be back, could be worth a look.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  6. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    yeah that's pretty much his only way in

7. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Speaking of RCB... I’d like to see Ben White given a chance. Might have to wait until September but he’s worth a look at.

8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Papers claiming awb will go with congo if southgate snubs him again. Its his choice. I dont think we are desperate for rightbacks. He needs to keep his head down and keep performing. Shame he can't be tried out in a centreback role

TopBanana10 repped this.
  9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #685 Marcho Gamgee, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    If he comes back to us, the meltdown by USA fans, especially on Twitter will be brutal!

No quotes or anything though so not sure about the source but The Secret Scout did hint about this quite some time back. I mean he’s probably looking at being in the U21’s at best at the moment which still isn’t bad for a 17 year old, probably take Nelsons place who has dropped off a cliff but if he chooses us then presumably it goes beyond football and just doesn’t feel a connection to the US which in all honesty wouldn’t surprise me.

roverman and Ste walker repped this.
  10. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Still be surprised if he picked England , hopefully he does though.

Iansutton270390 repped this.
  11. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I suspect his preference would be to represent England, with the only impediment to that being a more difficult pathway into the seniors. It makes sense for him to delay the decision for as long as he can until he gets a sense of what level he's going to end up at. It'll be interesting to see if he makes himself available for U21 selection, though I could see him dodging that regardless of who he favours.

12. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    It's an interesting one, on the one hand, his connection to the USA is basically non existent, his mother was just holidaying there when he was born. But then based on his life, I imagine there's a good chance he doesn't really feel a strong connection to any country.

On the other hand, if he played for them he has a very high chance of playing in a world cup next year, while his pathway to playing for England is going to be extremely difficult. Although if he can start getting minutes in central midfield the competition isn't so intense.

13. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Complicated case; Born 2004 in France, family moved to London a fortnight after his birth and he was good enough to interest the West Ham academy but family had to return to France. He doesn't say at what age that happened but I'm guessing around five, seems to have been at PSG from 2011-2015. Comes back to England at 11 and then left for France again at about 15. :confused: From what I can ascertain he's lived roughly 50/50 of his life in both countries.

Need at least five years education in England to be eligible but I'm not exactly sure of the intricacies of this rule. :cautious:

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

Can’t see Aarons, Holgate or Toney switching anytime soon, the others maybe but are they that entertained of the thought of playing in the Gold Cup with all due respect.

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    A quick scan of the Twitter profile of the journalist who wrote that article and it looks like Secret Scout is the actual source for the Sportsmail piece. So maybe not a new source that has come up more recently.

16. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People are already freaking out, im not surprised though people foolishly thought it was a done deal with the two friendly caps, but it obvious he was just kicking the tires

roverman and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  17. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    It's starting to sound like they're more keen on things than either of us would have expected. This is coming straight from the head of the JFF:

1366982325020487681 is not a valid tweet id

If we are to believe the JFF president, the following players are not just interested, but have actually started the passport process:

Michail Antonio (we knew that already)
    Andre Gray (knew that too)
    Kemar Roofe (not news)
    Liam Moore (knew that)
    Demarai Gray (wait what?)
    Nathan Redmond (ok whoa)
    Mason Holgate (seriously?!)
    Isaac Hayden (wow)
    Ivan Toney (figured he'd wait?)

According to the JFF, Max Aarons is the only player listed above that apparently HASN'T started the passport process.

Now, this all sounds a bit too good to be true so I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

But you know the old saying: where there is smoke, there is fire. And the head of the JFF going on record confirming these players are basically on board and starting the process for a passport...that is A LOT of smoke.

After the Antonio announcement (prior to that I really didn't expect him either), I would not have held my breath for Gray, Redmond, Holgate, hayden or Toney. It looks like the odds of at least a few of those guys joining are quite a bit higher than expected, and we will see some, if not all, commit and secure passports in 2021.

Aarons is still young, and one of England's 10 most valuable fullbacks (6th most valuable right back). But there is a lot of competition for England's fullback roles. Has he decided that he'd rather just join up with his cousin (Rolando) and get a more certain role with Jamaica started instead? Maybe. I would be surprised if he made that decision, but I guess anything is possible at this point.

18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I'd be surprised by Aarons too. The rest? Not really - slight shame for us if Toney doesn't want to wait and see whether he can get into an England squad next season, but the others looks like long shots to ever get more than a handful of caps.

roverman and Athlone repped this.
  19. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    #695 Athlone, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    And, to this specific point, I don't think the Gold Cup is what they're thinking about. If all or just most of these players commit, in addition to players who have already joined (Daniel Johnson, Ravel, Decordova-Reid, etc) and the quality homegrown options already included (Andre Blake, Kemar Lawrence, etc)...this is not just a Gold Cup team. It's a World Cup team.

Remember, we're a CONCACAF side. CONCACAF has three berths + a playoff spot right now, and nowhere near the depth of a UEFA or CONMEBOL. Mexico and the USA are the class of the region - after that, it's open season for the third spot and the playoff berth (and as we saw last cycle when the USA missed WC 2018, even the top 2 can stumble).

The central americans have all declined - Costa Rica's golden WC 2014 generation has aged out and been ineffectively replaced. Panama has stagnated or declined slightly for similar reasons. Honduras the same. Those teams were debatedly only at or slightly below Jamaica's level during Gold Cup 2019, and that was BEFORE adding all of these players. Canada has risen, but was still our equal at best BEFORE these additions. The rest of the Caribbean is below our level, as are the more minor central american sides (El Salvador, Guatemala, etc).

That's the extent of our competition for the third spot + the playoff: none of our rivals are above our level (at least on paper), and most are arguably below it even BEFORE additions.

With all of these players in the side, Jamaica has the third best player pool in CONCACAF - we have a VERY good shot at World Cup 2022 and are close to a lock for World Cup 2026 (when expansion gives CONCACAF 6 full berths - with the exception of Antonio and maybe Andre Gray, all of the names mentioned above will likely still be playing at a high level by then and in the run to be regulars in the side).

So long story short, we're beyond just offering Gold Cup caps. If these guys sign up now, they have a VERY realistic path to a World Cup appearance - possibly more than one. The Gold Cups are just bonuses.

And it won't just be merely playing in those Gold Cups - Jamaica went to the final in each of 2015 and 2017 and reached the semis in 2019 BEFORE additions. Add all of these guys, and we have a very good chance at winning one of these Gold Cups too.

dbs235 and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    No chance with toney or aarans right now

21. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    You have no chance with toney or aarans right now. The others are possible. Redmond is eligible for Ireland as well so u might have a fight on there. Good luck to Jamaica but it could go the same way with the 98 team. After a couple of years the likes of Robbie earle got bored. Hope not.

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Feels like we could be losing a heck of a lot of homegrown talent very soon. Whilst most of them aren’t a great loss to us presently, some still might end being good enough. Our player pool will ultimately take a hit, with Jamaica and Nigeria currently pursuing players. Only Southgate was saying encouragingly yesterday that we are currently around 40% English qualified players in the Premier League which is pretty much similar to my figures on the other thread but I think we will start to see a decrease for a time from next season if all these players switch, plus maybe a few others players like AWB to Congo. Interesting to see what happens in the future and how many we lose so soon but it is what it is.

23. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Again, not expecting Aarons. We'll see, but it would surprise me.

Toney...at this point, while unlikely, I think the chance is significantly greater than zero. I didn't see Antonio coming at all and absolutely did not expect to hear that guys like Demarai Gray and Redmond were actually starting passport applications. Clearly anything can happen.

Robbie Earle...In 1998, following the World Cup, Earle was entering his 17th season of professional club football. His career was over less than 2 years after that 1998 World Cup appearance. I don't know that putting his relatively short international career down to boredom is fair - it looks like we got him at the very tail end of his career and he just got old.

Redmond and Ireland - again, we'll have to see. If Ricketts is saying that he has started the passport process (and, again, that's a big claim to make on the record), then obviously nothing to worry about. We make more sense anyway - Jamaica (assuming the player pool includes most of these names) will always have an easier path to the World Cup in CONCACAF than Ireland will in UEFA, especially after 2026. If Redmond's goal is to maximize World Cup odds, we're the better choice.

roverman repped this.
  24. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Tbh im sick to the back teeth of other nations cherry picking our players. Admittedly most of them wouldn't get near the England team. I don't want to leave myself open to criticism again but it has to be said. That's the trouble with being a very multi cultural football nation. Alot of our players are eligible for carribean and African nations. Not just them but the irelands Scotlands and Wales of this world too. I think fifa have to bring in new rules to stop this from happening. Its unfair on the country that is being raided over and over. Yes, ultimately its down to the player what he decides. One positive is we have never lost any big players to other nations grealish Abraham saka odoi sterling etc. Other than musiala its been positive. I suppose having a great youth production means we will lose the odd few. We are fast overtaking France as the world's shop window