English players Dual Nationality thread #2

Discussion in 'England' started by roverman, Sep 26, 2020.

1. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    According to page he's been doing brilliantly with Liverpool despite the fact he's only played one first team game. Its a ploy to keep crew and kounas with wales

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    If you follow the reaction to the Wales squad quite a few of their fans feel they should have picked more dual nationals.

They probably asked Ashley Phillips again for this meet up but he seems dedicated to England. That has never really seemed the case with Koumas or Crew.

LUFCGGRAY, roverman and horrisengleton repped this.
  3. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Can't really blame Wales for this approach, they can't afford to lose any dual nations currently in their system. There's not a single Welsh player aged 21 or under currently playing regular football in a top 5 league in Europe so they're pretty starved of prospects atm. I know if we ever reach that stage I'll want us to act the same way.

roverman repped this.
  4. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Phillips is pretty advanced in his career for his age so likely fancies his chances of playing for England.

Thing don't look great in short to medium term, are you aware of any really top prospects in their system that aren't English?

5. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Callum Osmand at Fulham, I believe is from Jersey no longer qualifies for Wales because of a change in regulations (maybe I’m wrong about that, but he hasn’t been in a Wales team for over 2 years), after getting youth caps. Any body know if he’s on Englands radar? presumably he qualifies.

roverman repped this.
  6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    #5506 BarryfromEastenders, May 29, 2024
    Last edited: May 29, 2024
    The worry for them might be that they hit a similar slide to the one Ireland have endured. Retirements and the staying older options getting injuries. Then the older options still playing not being good enough to help the younger ones.

Feels like there are similar gaps in their player pool and Ireland really suffered with the transition attempt.

One of the more pressing issues with the home nations teams is goalkeepers. I have said it before but I don’t think Scotland qualify for the Euros without Angus Gunn. The other options look off the standard required.

Wales have three keepers in their latest squad. They only have one senior club appearance between all of them in the season just gone. That just seems crazy.

AJ123 and roverman repped this.
  7. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Really it would be a return to the norm for Wales to go through a bit of a down period, the 2014-2022 period was really unusual based on their history, carried largely on the backs of Bale and Ramsey. The nature of the UK means they'll always have a decent English born pool to pick from though, whereas Ireland have been struggled a lot with dwindling amounts of English eligible players compared to their peak 90s years.

Although the expanded Euro's should mean they don't have to go half centuries between tournaments going forward.

8. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    Fireburn47 repped this.
  9. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Short term no, in the medium term Charlie Crew while having an English parent was born and raised in Cardiff, same with Gabriele Biancheri (I think). That's pretty much it I think though. Their U17 squad for this year's Euros was very English.

10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Watching Wales revert back to their pre euro 2016 back street dark days gutter garbage is better than sex

11. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Matty Cash has been left out of Poland’s squad for the Euros. Initial reports suggested he was injured but his statement makes it clear that’s not the case.

12. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He had a good record with England but hasn't played for us since 2021. Looks like he's had a decent year in PL2 this year too. Unlikely that he'll ever be good enough for England seniors but committing to Thailand at this point when the connection is a single grandparent would be curious.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

14. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Looks like we've another Tommy Cannon on our hands!

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  15. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Robert Earnshaw's son Silva Mexes has signed for United. Supposedly a big talent, think someone mentioned him before?

LUFCGGRAY repped this.
  16. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Noticed that Joe Hodge had a failed Championship loan in the winter window. He played just 360 minutes for them only completing one 90 minutes. He's 22 in September.

17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Qualifies for us I take it but you would guess he will only ever play for Wales unless he has ambitions to regularly play in tournaments…….

roverman repped this.
  18. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Earnshaw's dad was English so he should qualify for us. Not sure where he grew up but he was at Ipswich before United so has been in England for some of his childhood. Possibly qualifies for France or Spain as well.

roverman repped this.
  19. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Robert Earnshaw was born in Zambia to an English Dad and Zambian mother and moved to Wales at 10, how does that work does with his son, does he qualify for Wales simply because Robert grew up there? (Presuming he wasn’t born or have any other Welsh connection)

20. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I was wondering that, he may not even qualify for Wales. One for Fireburn. As far as I can find Mexes is a French or Catalan name. His mum certainly looks kind of Catalan, Portuguese or such.

Regis Prograis repped this.
  21. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Yep it’s one of those quirks with the home nations, and us all having the same passport, I’d guess he might not qualify for Wales.

AJ123 repped this.
  22. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    His mum is British-Thai. Mexes is his middle(?) name, not a surname.

AJ123 repped this.
  23. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    In this case he wouldn't qualify, as one of the parents or grandparents would have to actually be born in Wales, or he'd have had to have completed 5 years education there.

24. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    We will know soon once he gets to the ages for u15/u16 call ups.

25. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    No Omari Hutchinson in latest Jamaica squad.

AJ123 repped this.