English players Dual Nationality thread #2

Discussion in 'England' started by roverman, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

2. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019

3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    How many youngsters are we losing

4. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This isn't losing, this is a kid exploring every option available to him before he's required to make a commitment, and every young player with those options should do exactly that.

roverman and horrisengleton repped this.
  5. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    I wonder what he thinks of the fact that Serbia is one of the most racist countries on earth where racial abuse towards English players at club and international level is commonplace. Another example of an English player representing a nation they would never want to live in

roverman repped this.
  6. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    He's probably too young to think about that and even then he's probably not aware of the scale it exists there. I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks England is a more racist nation than Serbia.

Widespread racism in Eastern European countries, for example, doesn't gain a tonne of traction in coverage here because people largely "expect" those kinds of attitudes from people of certain nations, whereas a few scumbags being racist to our players on social media after Euro 2020 gets amplified all over the news, and worldwide news at that, and gives the impression it's a widely held view by a sizeable portion of people in the country.

I'm not in any way denying we have a problem with racism, we absolutely do, but I often feel that for a multitude of reasons we're made out to be the most racist nation in Western Europe when the reality I think is much different.

Crvena Zvezda repped this.
  7. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Yes indeed, I think we are more the most racism-conscious society in Europe, if not the world, rather than the most racist. You could completely eradicate all racism from English society though and there'd still be just as many people accusing racism. A whole lot more ironically than there ever were in the old banana skin chucking dark days of the past.

roverman repped this.
  8. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Mika Biereth scored another in the Europa league for Sturm Graz tonight. Can add Denmark to the legions of other nations the best young English strikers are representing these days.

roverman repped this.
  9. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Or that he's not good enough to play for England and wants a shot at playing in a major tournament some day.

roverman repped this.
  10. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

11. Port Vale Fan

Port Vale Fan Member

May 30, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Who are Wrexham United?

12. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He went from a League Two loan to Sturm Graz who are playing in European competition back to a League 2 loan this season. Bit of a strange arc.

Hasn't been involved with England for 5 years. Nigeria's goalkeeping options look pretty poor to be fair so maybe he's been offered a place in the squad.

roverman repped this.
  13. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    There is also talk on social media that Aaron Wan-Bissaka is not eligible to switch to the DRC because he has already switched after his first DRC U-20 appearance before his England U-20 and U-21 career. Is that accurate?

14. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Seems unlikely since that game was a friendly. Can't see a reason why he would've already filed a one-time switch to play for England.

15. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Was thinking about the dual-nationals (only players who've played senior football) that are currently with other countries and how likely they are to ever play for us, either at senior or youth level, and this is what I was thinking on a scale of 1-10:

- Elliot Anderson (7/10)
    - Tom Cannon (7/10)
    - Omari Hutchinson (6/10)
    - Mohamed-Ali Cho (5/10)
    - Fabio Carvalho (4/10)
    - Noah Ohio (2/10)
    - Tommy Conway (2/10)
    - Michael Olise (2/10)

All very speculative but it also makes you realise that, for now, we don't have any major dual-national battles that we aren't seemingly (and fingers crossed it remains that way) the player's first choice in at present.

I really like Ali Cho's and Hutchinson's potential upsides but at present Olise is the only one here who, for me, stands out to be a real loss so the FA have done a pretty good job on the whole of keeping our better dual-nations in the system for now. We'll lose more that are currently in our system because that's the way it works but all in all things are looking positive on that front.

roverman repped this.
  16. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Shandon Baptiste is still eligible to switch back from Grenada as well.

I would say Olise could be one of the biggest loses of an English born player. He could end up winning the PL/CL depending on where he moves to next.

17. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Baptiste will never be anywhere near the level to get a call-up so I didn't bother including him.

I think Olise is a loss but it is what it is. I'm not sure there's anything we could have done to stop Olise siding with France so it doesn't bother me.

hussar and roverman repped this.
  18. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Haaland was born in England and Michael Olise has never played for England at any level.

hussar, Fireburn47 and roverman repped this.
  19. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Musiala could be the biggest loss in terms of duels

20. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I think Musiala will regret picking Germany rather than the other way round.

roverman repped this.
  21. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    If we're including players that have already on then yeah, he's probably the biggest talent we've lost but his loss is also very alleviated by the fact we currently have good depth in his position.

roverman and Fireburn47 repped this.
  22. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    Is Matt O'Riley locked in for Denmark? Because if not he'd arguably be the best player on that list.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  23. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    I think he was cap-tied in the last break? Might be wrong, but if not he feels like he's already committed to Denmark given how involved he's been in their seniors lately.

24. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Hutchinson has found some form at Ipswich recently, he's certainly good enough for a call up to the u20s in March you would've thought.

Personally I'd argue that Olise is the standout on that list in terms of talent, though O'Riley is one to watch as well.

Wikipedia says that he only has one cap for Denmark but the chances of him playing for England are 0/10 if you ask me.

horrisengleton repped this.
  25. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    The reason I only put Hutchinson at 6/10 is that I feel like he doesn't have much interest in playing youth team football for England. I think eventually, if the call comes in the next few years, he'd play for our senior side but it feels to me like he'd rather play for Jamaica's senior side than our U20s or U21s.

If he keeps progressing he has a good shot at the seniors though because left-footed right wingers are at a premium.