English players Dual Nationality thread #2

Discussion in 'England' started by roverman, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    It’s in the Monday Briefing with articles about Rashford and other stories.

2. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    That’s the impression I got. That If Scotland phoned him offering him a near 100% chance of the Euros I think he would likely switch. Southgate just doesn’t seem that inclined to get involved to try and stop players.

3. JAMC_

JAMC_ Member

England
    Jul 4, 2022
    Fireburn47 and AJ123 repped this.
  4. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    I think you're wrong mate. Give us a precedent. Name one player you know who, having said they wanted to play for England, then jumped ship when a call up was well and truly on the cards? Those who did make the switch had either given up hope of making the side (Zaha, Gunn, Balogun, Lamptey) or simply didn't identify as being English in the first place (Musiala, Aina).

Fireburn47 repped this.
  5. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    #4580 AJ123, Dec 5, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
    I don't agree on that. I don't think he'll switch before the Euros but after if he feels he's getting overlooked by the seniors as Balogun did, I could see him switching in that case.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  6. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Arguably Balogun. He wasn’t that far off.

7. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    I thought Livramento might have given some new quotes when I opened this thread, but just another rehashed article. Seems fairly embedded in the England camp to me, not sure why people are so eager to jump to conclusions based off very banal statements he made weeks ago.

Marcho Gamgee and horrisengleton repped this.
  8. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #4583 Fireburn47, Dec 5, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
    The Athletic have a new article Livramento and Chelsea and mention he is strongly tipped to be called up to the seniors sooner rather than later to beat of competition from Scotland and Portugal.

9. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    The Athletic are talking out of their arses, we know full well Southgate doesn’t operate like that. I think Livramento will be in the next squad but it won’t be because others are after him, it’ll be because he warrants a place there.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  10. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    I can't believe some people on here hold some of these journalist and newspapers in such a high regard, 95% of the time they literally don't know anymore than we do. This isn't the press pack of 30 years ago, most of these guys don't even have Southgate phone number let alone know who he's going to call up in 4 months time.

11. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    You can normally tell when it’s speculation and when it’s a briefing from someone that magically ends up in all the papers with similar wording. The majority of the firet category turns out to be wrong but the second category is normally accurate.

12. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I don’t even understand why Livramento’s comments have changed anything. People have read way too much into them. They were just a diplomatic response to a question. Basically said he loves being where he is now, that he’s focused on playing for the U21’s and his agent will inform him of anything if required. Similar has been said by many players before.

This is someone who was a mainstay in every age group until his injury and was then straight back into a strong U21 team when fit again.

He knows the set up and he knows the pathway is there. He’s mentioned it himself in the past (2022) -

“There’s plenty of things that I need to work on,” Livramento admitted, when asked how he views the competition ahead of him.

“If I have a really good run of games, hopefully the gaffer (Gareth Southgate) will have a look at me and think he wants to give me a chance.”

He continued: “I’m always going to give my all 100 per cent going forward, trying to get assists, or defensively being solid, winning my headers, staying focused all the time.

“In the first camp we had a few boys who are now with the seniors. But I feel like when the time’s due, the time’s due. I’m not going to rush anything.

“As long as I’m getting called up to the Under-21s, that’s the main thing for me right now.

“To be at an international level where I’m playing with all these different players and gaining experience at this level, that’s a major thing for me.”

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/2...nder-21-success-force-gareth-southgates-hand/

This isn’t like Balogun who was openly enticing USA fans with posts for ages (he did the same with Arsenal fans eventually with a potential move to Inter Milan).

Cirkin is different too because he wasn’t a regular at youth levels. He probably doesn’t feel as appreciated. I always felt this had an impact on Balogun too because he wasn’t deemed a mainstay in his youth roles until late on.

horrisengleton, AJ123, Gaz811 and 2 others repped this.
  13. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Anyone know more about Tawanda Chirewa. English born and has an English flag on PL website but Wiki calls him Zimbabwean. On the Wolves bench again this evening.

14. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Born in Essex, came through at Ipswich then signed for Wolves in the summer. Athletic 10 or occasional 9 with a confident touch and a good goalscoring record.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  15. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Real Sociedad are favourites to sign Manchester United and England forward Mason Greenwood, 22, who is currently on loan at fellow La Liga club Getafe - but a permanent switch to Getafe is unlikely because of the potential fee involved. (Todofichajes - in Spanish)

16. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Also, and more importantly - Livramento is actually good enough to start games for England.

17. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Even the comments he made last month are much more in our favour than Scotland's:

“There’s no rush to make any decision. I’m really happy with where I am now. I’m really happy with the group I’m involved in, with the coach and everything.

“I’m just enjoying getting back to playing consistently and training consistently. I’m still young, still got a while to choose and I’m very happy with where I am now. I’ve not seen anything and I’m sure if it was something serious my agent would’ve let me know.”

“I really do enjoy coming away with the team. We've a great manager (Carsley) who stayed in contact with me when I was injured to make sure that I was in a good place. I have a lot of respect and love for the England setup because I've been through every age group here.”​

Not sure how that gets twisted into "we might be about to lose him", but here we are - again.

18. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    To me it seems blatantly obvious that he wants England but doesn't want to close the door on other options in case England never materialises. These comments make that quite clear imo.

ChristianSur and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Scott McTominay is turning into a player we might feel like we have missed out on.

20. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    There were the double the amount of goals from English born players not playing for England than English born players tonight in the PL.

21. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He isn’t.

ChristianSur and Jenks repped this.
  22. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Arguably doing better than any English midfielder in the PL not called Rice or Maddison.

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    ChristianSur and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  24. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Half the United fans want him out of the club.

25. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Man Utd are in such a mess and McTominay probably unintentionally highlights the predicament they are in right now. Not good enough in build up play or off the ball. He doesn’t make himself available for so many simple passes. It just makes the team so unbalanced and open.

McTominay’s career has been a bit bizarre. Probably would have been better for him to have left Man Utd a few years ago and played for a more direct team. He’s obviously got qualities in the final third to be effective.

It is really not ideal to have two of England’s biggest clubs in such a mess. Chelsea and Man Utd just feel completely lost at the moment.