English players Dual Nationality thread #2

Discussion in 'England' started by roverman, Sep 26, 2020.

1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It just highlights the challenge the FA have to deal with. They have given him plenty of experience and provided an idea of the pathway required for him to reach the required level (U21 finals experience first).

The plan is pretty logical considering what else is on offer from other nations in that timeframe. But getting a call up now is so important? He likely would not have got a cap anyway. Does that create another issue even if he was called up? Probably.

roverman and Gaz811 repped this.
  2. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    He's burned his bridges at this point, I imagine behind closed doors Southgate won't be very impressed with his attitude - its one thing weighing up your duel national status, its another to be pulling out of squads "injured" then going around posting social media pictures of you doing training sessions elsewhere. Can't be seen to be rewarding that kind of behaviour.

I don't think we've handled it perfectly mind you, Rashford pulling out was a good opportunity to get him in the squad - unless he'd already communicated he was pulling out the under 21's, and namechecking Nketiah as being ahead of him was very bizarre and did nothing to dispel notions that the premier league is overvalued in our squad selecting.

roverman repped this.
  3. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    It was when the media were asking carsley about his conversation with balogun and his injury.

4. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    It just basically proves the point I made the other week. Our FA and manager have a snobbery towards other leagues. They would rather call up someone who has 5 goals in the prem instead of someone who has 17 goals in France.

I mean, it's not like he's playing in Scotland, I'd understand that.

roverman and Chesco United repped this.
  5. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    For all Balogun's bravado, its one thing to be posting on social media, its another to tell the manager you don't want to be selected any longer because your feelings have been hurt. I imagine he will declare for the US between the next window. If he doesn't it makes his behaviour even more bizarre.

Iansutton270390 repped this.
  6. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    If he does, good riddance to him. I guess we will see more of this now with the expansion of the world Cup.
    Not trying to be big headed but, he will get further in tournaments with us than US.

roverman repped this.
  7. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Well giving him a cap could have done both.

8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Carsley going to France at some point after the U21 meet up ends -

‘I’ve not spoken to Flo since last Monday, but I will go out to France when we finish up and have a chat to him,’ Carsley said.

dbs235 repped this.
  9. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    If there is one thing I would be sure of on this, it is that he hasn't burned his bridges.

10. JAMC_

JAMC_ Member

England
    Jul 4, 2022
    roverman and AJ123 repped this.
  11. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    I mean, fair play to the guy if he wants to pursue an international career, but its becoming laughable at this stage.

Someone said on here a couple of weeks ago that the Scots don't take to English duals as well as the welsh and irish. They're going to have an all English team the way they're going.

roverman repped this.
  12. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    I always had the impression the fact that Scotland had a decent professional league structure (compared to the other countries in the British Isle) meant that the were reluctant to pick English players, looks like that is slowly changing.

roverman and Iansutton270390 repped this.
  13. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    I guess we have seen it more, where the big 6 clubs can sweep up all Scottish talent as well despite the big clubs there. Back in the day if a young boy had a Scottish grandparent someone like Celtic would be all over them at youth level but now just no point as they can't compete

Iansutton270390 repped this.
  14. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    The thing is, Scotland went down this route a few years back where they picked a bunch of English players and their team started performing badly. I'm not saying the blame lay solely on the English players but they were certainly getting the most abuse off the Scots.

Time will tell if it will be different this time. Fifa and uefa have made it practically impossible not to qualify with the expansion of their tournaments.

15. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    #3090 ADM99, Mar 28, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
    Maxi Oyedele (Man United), Levis Pitan (Sheffield United) & Dominik Biniek (Blackburn) have qualified for the U19 Euros with Poland.

However Pitan, who is a CB, was wearing the #9 shirt so I personally think they should have their qualification revoked.

dbs235 and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  16. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I find this all a bit bizarre. Its been known for years that the US is after him. Unless hes been telling England one thing and the US another thing.

17. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    All very strange going on a publicity tour like he has done, saw some US fans had banners up at the game (like you'd see in Pro Wrestling, weird behaviour!) He only recently got to the level where England selection was a serious possibility, he'd have probably got a cap with the USA last October if he switched.

I hadn't seen a lot of his game, so watched some highlights of his all round play for Reims yesterday on Youtube. He looks like a decent enough poacher/finisher but his all-round Centre Forward play is well below that of Kane and Toney, and probably Abraham (but he looks like a more natural finisher than the latter).

18. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    #3093 ht_hu96, Mar 28, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2023

Another day, another ESPN video on why Balogun should choose the US. Whilst I would like us to have Balogun, I won’t lose any sleep if he does choose them as he’s not exactly shown himself to be a world beater yet. He’s had a good 6 months in France. It’s actually hilarious to see the richest and most powerful nation on earth court him like Madrid would with a galactico signing. They’re acting like it would be akin to landing Mbappe, when in reality he was playing in the championship last season.

As a side note, the pundits that ESPN have to talk specifically about the MLS, USMNT and CONCACAF matters generally are unwatchable. I’m not one of these people who likes to look down on the US when it comes to football as I believe in giving everybody a chance and do still think there are plenty of people over there who are knowledgeable and have good insight on the sport. However, these guys do conform to the European stereotype on US football fans. Just way too emotional and dramatic with zero understanding.

roverman repped this.
  19. Port Vale Fan

Port Vale Fan Member

May 30, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    While the chap has improved this season, I've not had any confidence in him prior.

In fact in some games in the Saka, Garner, Doyle side it looked like he'd never played football before in his life.

He's in a purple patch and good luck to him, but he's not going to be worrying harry Kane anytime soon.

roverman repped this.
  20. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    What's odd to me is the US have been after him for years, if they're his preference or he didn't back himself to make England seniors why didn't he switch years ago?

It must be just that they've sold him on a fast track route and being the main guy. TalkSPORT are now reporting it's a done deal.

21. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    #3096 MrSnrub, Mar 29, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
    Seems more like he feels like he was overlooked and not appreciated by not being called up so will go the US based on his social media postings like "in life, go where you are appreciated".

Still not entirely convinced he will switch yet though - he's almost made too big a deal about it for it to seem entirely genuine, if he doesn't announce his intention to switch in the next week or so I'd suspect he's still biding his time. Seems like he's playing all sides trying to secure the best deal.

22. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    There is always a period of the player saying nothing while the paperwork goes through. I think it'll be finalised and announced before the U21 tournament.

23. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  24. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    It seems about 65% of the most recent Wales under 21 squad were born in England. And about 35% of the most recent Scotland under 21.

roverman repped this.
  25. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Tom Cannon might be one we should be keeping an eye on. Late '02, on loan at Preston from Everton, scored 4 in the last 7 and getting some nice reviews there not unlike Archer last season. Keeping England underage regular Liam Delap, who's only 3 months younger, out the side.

Currently he's with Ireland under 21's but given a paucity of striker options for the next cycle we should certainly be reaching out. None of the people around the set up have shown much yet in the transition to senior football so we should be keeping our options open. Not exactly a duel issue, but Miles Leaburn at Charlton is a late '03 who's showing more than the current lot also.

roverman and wellno repped this.