English players Dual Nationality thread #2

Discussion in 'England' started by roverman, Sep 26, 2020.

1. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Think Nigeria will be a factor as well. It will be tough. Toney’s great form continues and Nketiah is going well at the moment.

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Maybe I am naive but Balogun leading the line in an U21 finals would be a great next step for him. It’s shaping up to be a talented squad that can create chances for him.

I’m not sure on the other nations’ senior schedules but I don’t think they will be able to offer a better platform for him than that this season?

roverman repped this.
  3. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I agree that next summer he won't really have a better platform. I think he's a really precarious dual though.

4. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Southgate doesn't really do English players abroad. They have to be playing in England to be recognised. Bellingham apart

5. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    As for the whole Irish thing. Never understood the hype over being Irish. Americans are worst for it. They act like being Irish is being some magical creature. If they hadn't migrated become of the famine they wouldn't have been anymore relevant than the English Scots or Welsh

6. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Couldn’t agree more, it’s also very cringey the way the Irish act like anyone with any Irish blood is not just Irish, but incredibly proud and passionate about it, without even knowing that person. The Rice case is a classic one. He is exactly the same as me in that he was born and raised in England to two English parents and continues to reside here, but has an Irish grandparent.

Personally, I feel no connection to Ireland whatsoever and if I was a footballer but not good enough to play for England, I would just not bother with international football. I just wouldn’t feel right wearing any other shirt. I imagine a lot of other people with the tenuous link of just one grandparent from a different country feel the same way. They’re so deluded.

Marcho Gamgee and roverman repped this.
  7. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001

8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Try again lol. I agree. I have two Irish grandparents but I feel nothing for them

9. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    #2834 Jenks, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    This is not true. Abraham gets picked playing abroad and Sancho was getting picked very early on. Trippier at Atletico too.

roverman and TopBanana10 repped this.
  10. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    My mum is Irish and I feel no connection for them. I find it actually quite insulting when Irish people question my Englishness despite the fact my dad is English and I was born and bred here.

They seem to have this notion that I should shun any other nationality just because I've got some Irish in me.

roverman repped this.
  11. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    Christian McFarlane is back with the US for an U17 camp. Potentially trying to get him on board for the U17 CONCACAF Championship which is next month.

12. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rangers U16 player Alexander Smith is a USA-Scotland-England tri-national. Currently at US U15 camp. He has also been at two Scotland U15 camps apparently as a starter.

13. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    If I were a Dual National I wouldn't go near the US team at the minute. Theres a civil war going on that could end up with people going Jail.

roverman repped this.
  14. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Not England news but hearing France are about to lose Aouar to Algeria. Guess it shows how difficult it is to keep a vast pool of top players within your setup and hopefully just another reminder that we’re not alone in facing this issue. Saying that, it does seem that they lose players later on in their careers and are thus more culpable for not giving them a chance. That could just be an anglocentric confirmation bias take though as I don’t pay much attention to their age group teams.

roverman repped this.
  15. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    don't worry, the French Roverman probably made 700 posts about Mejbri playing for Tunisia on GrandFootForum

AJ123 and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  16. PoliteSquats

PoliteSquats Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Any chance we'll try to lure back Joe Hodge?

17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I wouldn’t fancy our chances, seems like he’s imbedded in their system now. He will likely get a senior call up at the next International window.

18. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    #2843 ht_hu96, Jan 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2023
    Yeah we know the drill unfortunately when it comes to the home nations. A few good games and you’re in the senior squad. We are simply too strong to be able to offer this easy pathway for players unless they are a Rooney level talent or we have an unprecedented injury crisis.

I wouldn’t lose any sleep over Hodge anyway to be honest. He’s neat and tidy, but ultimately strikes me as another Harry Winks. I think our youth system has got much better in recent years at producing midfield prospects anyway. The likes of Patino, Braybrooke, MLS, Chukwuemeka, Mainoo and others that I can’t think of off the top of my head so there is a conveyor belt.

AJ123 and roverman repped this.
  19. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    They do lose quite a few that they try to keep like Aubameyang and Koulibaly. They also lost Etienne Green to us not long ago, although he doesn't seem to be doing too well at the moment.

ht_hu96 repped this.
  20. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    most of the yanks that say they are Irish couldn't find Ireland on a map of Ireland

ht_hu96 and roverman repped this.
  21. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    First Spain callup for Liverpool's Wellity Lucky. Was born there to Nigerian parents but moved to England when he was younger. Has played for England at U15 & U16 level.

Fmq5Qq-WIAAeyme.jpg

22. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Anyone think we still have a chance with Michael Olise? Only played once for France's U21s

23. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    I go over this question in my head every time I watch him.
    He seems pretty into getting in the France squad so I highly doubt it. Maybe we can do a scotland and wait 7 years for him to carry on being ignored by france and then convince him to play for us.

roverman repped this.
  24. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I'm more interested in carvalho

25. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Apparently Brightons Evan Ferguson is eligible for England through his mam, England should try and entice him

roverman repped this.