English Abroad

Discussion in 'England' started by THOMA GOL, Mar 27, 2006.

1. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
  2. Footballers abroad

Arsenal
    England
    Nov 9, 2019
    It always amazes me when English football players go abroad it is considered "brave". Meanwhile when foreign footballers decide to play outside of their country of origin it's not considered that big a deal. I can't see a day when English players play abroad is not considered "brave" or a big deal.

3. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Brazilian players playing abroad was once considered 'brave.' It'll be normalised.

4. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's already becoming a lot more normal I'd say.

5. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    Reports from Italy that Ronaldo Vieira will leave Sampdoria in the summer and go back to England.

6. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Lille want Lamptey

7. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Anyone know how Panzo's getting on?

8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Can’t comment on his performances but he’s starting as first choice left back in what seems to be a struggling team as they are rock bottom of the Belguim 1st Division.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  10. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Mandela Egbo who was at Darmstadt in 2BL is moving to MLS, Red Bull NY.

11. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    George McEachran out on loan to Cambuur in the Dutch 2nd tier.

12. If they don't screw up, they promote.

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I really hope this doesn’t happen, let him stay in Holland and develop! Wolves would be a bad move imo and can’t see that many chances for him at Arsenal either to be honest

14. I think Malen will talk to him and point to his own trajectory.
    Invest in time at PSV instead of a short term money gain and the big pay will be bigger in the end.
    I'm sure he's going to make the first team next season and from there he can simply choose from CL playing clubs. No need to pay attention to (with all due respect to Wolves fans) clubs in the Wolves range.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  15. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    Madueke rejected Premier League clubs to join PSV in the first place. Would seem weird to change his mind now especially after his decision has been justified, so I'm hoping there's nothing in this.

16. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    There’s no way it plays out where it isn’t taking a big fee, so at that point he’s being signed to be a first teamer. Either way, not sure we should be at all concerned.

17. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  18. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm still kinda confused as to why the Dutch Second Tier is so popular, because the standard ain't that great, Jong Ajax are the best team in that tier. It's a very safe option for players who are underdeveloped physically but I'm not sure you want more than a half-season there.

wellno and Garibaldi11 repped this.
  19. Actually almost all our current superstars have a season or two in that league. It,s all about kids developing while playing against adults on the pitch for a living. It's completely different from playing against other youth teams.
    My club Feyenoord stupidly declined when offered to play their young team there with Ajax, PSV and AZ to name the current top clubs in there. We pay the price as the youngsters from AZ, PSV and Ajax mature faster and are ready for first team duty compared to my club's youth. Klopp, amongst a couple of other top league clubs coaches, envied us for this set up.
    You can have all the qualities as a young player, but it becomes another thing to display it against grown ups ready to hassle you and muscle you from the ball.

20. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    All the English youngsters heading over are older than the Dutch players making their breakthrough there though. A lot of the teams in the league are worse than PL2 opposition.

Does feel a lot like the English kids just wanting something on their record to help them move forward elsewhere.

21. On top of that, in contrast to other second tier leagues, coaches at Dutch clubs also have an urge to teach. So even if a youngster isnot in one of the Young teams, he's going to get developmental treatment by his coaching staff by default.

22. Can you specify this claim?

23. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Dutch youngsters are jumping from U19 football (and they're mostly already playing up as U17s in the U19s league).

English players are heading over after they've already had a couple of years in U23 football. There have been 128 players in the Eerste Divisie this year who are 2000 or younger. 192 1999 or younger. So if you're Slattery who is nearly 21, you're competing against guys younger than you, which isn't idea for a guy who has been playing U23 football since 2016.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  24. You can't look at the ages and conclude an Englishman (one!) at 20/21 is fighting boys.
    M. de Ligt was in that league at the age of 16 and 1 year later in the final of the EL against MU and at 18 seconds away from the CL final.
    Perr Schuurs was with 17 the youngest captain of a Dutch pro club ever at Fortuna Sittard and helped them promote. He played a year for Y Ajax in that league after transferring and played at 18 his first CL matches.
    These are just a couple of examples that show age is just a number in Dutch context.
    However, the number of players listed as 2000 or younger doesnot match the number of players actually on the pitch!

25. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I'm not saying it's bad for Dutch youngsters. Infact, it would be good for English youngsters if they were entering the league at the same age. But they're not.