English Abroad

Discussion in 'England' started by THOMA GOL, Mar 27, 2006.

1. dwanyewest

dwanyewest Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Whats stopping young english players going abroad

Since alot of people complain that English players cant get games in the premier league surely as british players have free access of travel thanks to the EU whats stopping them play top flight football in say france or germany it never did owen hargreaves any harm

2. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Whats stopping young english players going abroad

Money, and a strong lower league.

3. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England

It's also a language thing of course. Owen Hargreaves moved to Germany when he was 16, he speaks German pretty well, and I believe he even had the choice to become German at some point.

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

And who wants to move abroad unless they have to? Truth is there's still a massive amount of football clubs in this country and there's every chance of making it if you're any good.

5. dwanyewest

dwanyewest Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Doesn't any think that players might benefit playing abroad i.e. more tactical and technical sophistication and anyhow if they play top flight football in France, Germany etc and playing champions league they might have more chance playing for england than staying in england wasting in reserves for an english club

6. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    you obviously dont watch french league or bundesliga if you think they will get extra "sophistication" in tactics and technique.
    Both those leagues are lucky to get a team to the quarter finals in european contests. They arent playing in some stone-age league here you see. Even bolton minus all their best players can hold munich in their home stadium.

Id back reserve players trying their luck elsewhere ,as long they dont mind taking a massive paycut.

7. CherryBomb

CherryBomb Red Card

Oct 27, 2006
    La La Land
    That's a myth. Germans are actually hilarious. Just at their own expense.

8. dwanyewest

dwanyewest Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    I didnt mean exclusively france and germany but italy and spain too you are telling me english players are as skilfull as the italians and spanish and no brit would benefit from playing abroad

9. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Punctuation is a good thing.

10. Shortbloke39

Shortbloke39 New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Copenhagen DK
    Er... Brit? :confused:

11. Shortbloke39

Shortbloke39 New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Copenhagen DK

yes i believe thats true... but when he said 'i would rather be covered from head to foot in someone elses vomit than be german' they realised he was not really that keen on the idea. I mean, apart from immigrants on the scrounge who on earth in their right mind would want to become german? It just would not happen. Strange to even think that way really :eek:

12. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

The whole thing. Read it again.

13. BusbyBabes

BusbyBabes New Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Up North
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

'I would not lick a German if he was covered in honey'...good old Blackadder:D

14. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England

That's very witty, you funny little man. Maybe we should move this to WR as over there they are closer to your level? Anyway I believe the correct Hargreaves quote is "ah well I'd better pretend to be English as they seem desperate enough to actually let me play for them." And look how well it's worked out for him, who would have thought little Owen would ever start for a national team.

BTW brit vs Brit = punctuation. Brilliant.

15. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

He ain't that little and the Germans would love to have him.

16. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England

Well I guess he would add some depth to the German bench. When he's healthy of course, which is sort of a rare thing to happen. He wouldn't start for Germany though.

17. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

He's been a bit unlucky with injuries for sure....hows Ballack doing..??

18. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England

Ballack? He's doing alright I suppose. He'll be back for Euro 2008 though. :D

19. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Glad to hear it....for a German he's not half bad....

20. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England

I actually think Ballack is terribly overrated. I certainly wouldn't lick him even if he was covered with honey (if that confuses you, see above).

Anyway better be off, getting late here in England and I still need to practise a few penalties before I go to bed.

21. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Sleep well and dream Gerd Muller....

22. alcino1

alcino1 New Member

Aug 18, 2007
    australia
    nobody wants them cause all the good ones are taken and are getting bullcrap money and the rest nobody wants them fullstop

23. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

....and they get paid on time...unlike in Portugal where going without pay for the lower tier top division teams is, apparently, the norm.

24. alcino1

alcino1 New Member

Aug 18, 2007
    australia
    i know our low teams may be poor but at least they all produce great youngsters

25. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    And apparently, those homeless youngsters are enough to take them out any day of the week :D

But seriously, England is getting a little better in the past years when it comes to young talents but it's still not enough to create a big move to other countries. Also it seems that english players only have the reputation to play well in their own league or there's some sort of mentalization that playing outside the country is not the way to go.
    Whatever the reason is, it's a little bit like Spain...why leaving if there's great infra-structures and a profitable/mediatized 2nd league? Needless to mention the premier league is the most seen in the world (I assume).
    I think the question is, why would they want to leave?

I understand when someone mentioned that english players could gain by working different aspects of their game in foreign clubs. That happens to be true somewhat if someone pay atention to teams such as Portugal over the years.
    The image of an average english player is muscles and almost no technical skills. No wonder why the top clubs are flooded with foreign creative midfielders...