English Abroad

Discussion in 'England' started by THOMA GOL, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    You wasted your first post on that? By the way what the hell is "ur foxes"?

2. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I believe the wanker was speaking red-neck and referencing foxes as in the fox-hunting kind.....

3. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    I would guess one of, if not the most admired Englishman who came to play and contribute to the game in the USA was Clive Charles.. Began his career with West Ham United.. Played NASL and coached with US Soccer and college.. He wasn't the most talented ever to play here but perhaps did the most for the sport here.

4. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    Not saying he has a poor lifestyle - I have no idea - but that's not true.

Poor stretching and training habits can lead to muscle tears.
    I'd like to have a word with you...

Oh, and Laurie Cunningham played in a Big Cup final with Real Madrid in 1981.

5. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Well he's getting pofessional coaching at R.Madrid so it would be an issue with his teammates aswell.

6. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

nice bloke....not a particullarly good player....not close to doing "the most for the sport here"....May God rest his soul....(played against him too)

7. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Would you like to tell me this isn't a poor attempt at a wind up?

Don't feed the troll lads.

8. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001

why dont you see that a thread like this is a magnet for bottom feeder sams army types?? I saw this coming from a mile off as soon as this thread started.

9. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  10. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hehehe ... knew that would get one of the provincials out of their seat. :D

11. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Odd, I could have sworn that the Italian league has unbalanced TV deals that gives the top clubs far more than English clubs get. How much do Real Madrid spend on transfers again?

Maybe Italian clubs would have more money if their fans actually turned up to the stadiums.

Why, because of the dull, slow-paced football, the relentless cheating, or the complete lack of atmosphere because all the 'fans' are watching on TV?

Yeah, on the other hand teams like Inter are packed full of Italians and Real Madrid love buying Spaniards, it's impossible for a Brazilian to get a game at the Bernabeu because the home-grown talent is so good. Barcelona is practically a Catalonian XI.

Even the Dutch don't want to play in Holland. The Bundesliga is inferior to the Premiership. Why would they want to play in Seria A? Only the top few clubs have any money to pay players, and they're full of South Americans. Most of Seria A would struggle in the Championship, whereas even lower-table English clubs can pay top wages. Englishmen want to play in front of stadiums full of passionate fans, not an 80k-seater stadium with 15k neo-nazis lighting flares.

Unless you're Brazilian, or can sell shirts, an Englishman can't get a game at Real Madrid. Even when Owen was banging in the goals he was dropped for the over-the-hill superstars as he was not a 'galactico'.

England have out-performed Italy, Spain and Holland at the last two tournaments, your 'accolades' are worthless.

12. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    When you get through managers like Madrid do, there's no way you can put together a proper, professional training/physiotherapy system, you need consistent leadership.

Even Beckham's getting injury problems with his back now, Ronaldo's unfit, this wouldn't happen at a club with proper coaching, nutritional and physio staff.

13. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Probably could have go on to more things abroad it wasn't for that fateful crash in Madrid.

14. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    woan wasn't successful. in fact, he was crap... as several other posters have already said. although, fitness may have been the least of his concerns.

15. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yeah ... but ... he played. Ian Woan.

16. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, matt. congratulations. you piss farther than everyone on the board.

:D

17. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually sir, I wasn't attempting to feed trolls. My keen interest and the nonstop striving for KNOWLEDGE in the game provoked me to start this thread. I have always shown interest in foreign players in domestic leagues, I'm a wacky Yank like that. Contrary to what others in various countries may think, I believe that Englishmen can legitimately 'strut their stuff' in leagues outside of England and I'd hope that one day there will be more Englishmen playing aborad (without diluting the talent and domestic scene). I'm even more of a paradox I guess because I believe that there should be more Englishmen on the domestic squads than foreign players.

18. SC LaPurisma

SC LaPurisma New Member

May 13, 2001
    California
    Look at the Wold Cup from a Continental Europe point of view shall we:

1934 Italy 2-1 Czechoslovakia

1938 Italy 4-2 Hungary

1954 West Germany 3-2 Hungary

1958 Sweden lost to Brazil 5-2

1962 Czechs lost to Brazil 3-1

1966 England 4-2 West Germany (a goal that did not cross the line all the way helped England...and they are so hard on Maradona) Go figure the mentality.

1970 Italy lost to Brazil 4-1

1974 West Germany 2-1 Holland

1978 Holland lost to Argentina 3-1

1982 Italy 3-1 West Germany

1986 West Germany lost to Argentina 3-2

1990 West Germany beat Argentina 1-0

1994 Italy lost to Brazil on PK's

1998 France 3-0 Brazil

2002 Brazil beats Germany 2-0

Basically Germany won the World Cup 3 times and been in finals 7 times. Italy won 2 times and been in finals 5 times. The Czechs been to the finals 2 times. Hungary has been to the finals 2 times. Nethelands has been to the finals 2 times. France and England been to the finals and one one time. Congratulations on England's one World Cup final and victory. Nobody can take that away.

Facts are facts and a higher standard of football is played on continental europe and south america than England. Continental Europe is more like a a clinic type of game. Maybe boring and clinical to some, but it's a higher standard of fundamentals to the English game. There is more to the game than run, longball, hack, header, and cross. I feel England is not strong enough in a tactical sense to take on the power house international teams from Germany, Italy, Czechs, and Holland to name a few.

This coming World Cup will show all. I would like to see more english players play in Italy, Germany, and Holland. The national team will be more diverse, creative, and unpredectable. Look at where the players from the Czech Republic, France, Potugal, Spain primarily play at?

I think going abroad for top players in England is the best thing for the National Team and not necessarily the English Premiership. This team may have its' strongest roster in years, but it does not change history or facts.

19. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Mate, no-one cares what you think. Your view is as irrelevent as it is flawed.

20. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Mod Note

I will allow a certain amount of provocative posts in this forum, afterall I am a believer in freedom of speech. However, blatant name calling and insults are a sure fire way to a forum ban. Dumb opinions aren't particuarly welcomed but they are tolerated, it's up to the rest of us to rise above it and treat the posts with the contempt they deserve.

Sinner if I closed every thread that could attract the rabid spazzo's we'd never have anything open in here, it's part and parcel of the England forum. I've got my eye on them.

21. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Germany has won the World Cup once (1990)Other times it was West Germany.

When England won the World Cup in 1966 how many players played abroad? Facts are facts. Would suggest that we should pick an entirely domestic squad as that is what we had when we won before.

22. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2+2= -13

:confused:

23. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    This thread is already cooked ,prenny.
    A blatant sock with 70 posts in 5 years of posting has pretty much killed any debate here .Time for you to clean up the trash for once.

BTW - check wildman262s profile .
    dark knight is on his buddy list .now we know why wildman never got any ban.
    lmao

24. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    SC LaPurisma's posts curiously leave out the amount of World Cups won by Spain, Holland and Portugal, anyone know why?

25. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's quite an overreaction.