English Abroad

Discussion in 'England' started by THOMA GOL, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Doesn't Steve Guppy play over there? My fault that he brought O'Brien up, I mentioned Irish/Scots/Welsh as products of the league earlier when the discussion was about why they tend to remain in England.

2. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Mark Wilson (former Man Utd/Boro) is at FC Dallas

3. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

problem is he's hardly ever fit....like his old mate Kieron Dyer...Lifestyle ????

4. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    O'Brien is Irish and some over here wonder why he hasn't been called up to the National team....at least for a look see...he played for their u20's a couple of years back so they certainly know about him..

5. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

For such an old man you really need to grow up. You have no idea how he lives.

6. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

didn't he get in trouble at Leeds ?? a very high profile case if I remember right..hung out a lot with Lee Bowyer....and that says all anyone needs to know...

7. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    steve played for a brief time for dc united, but was released midway through last season. his old bones just couldn't handle the pace and he stayed on the trainer's table for most of his short stay. quality cross, but nothing left in the tank. older players just cannot handle the heat over here.

terry cooke (ex-manu) plays a little for the colorado rapids, though. he's 27 i believe...

8. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Years ago. His lifestyle can be in question if he's overwieght but not because muscle tears.

9. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i must agree with dead man typing here. that was a while ago, and he is in a completely different environment now with years of maturity on his side.

that really is nothing but unfounded speculation.

10. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

If you go back and look at my original post I questioned wether lifestyle could be a factor in his (and Dyer's) continuing injury problems....I just asked the question.

....and anyway....to paraphrase Monty Phython...."I'm not old.....I'm 57"....

11. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    History of the ENGLISH in MLS:
    • Ian Butterworth – Colorado – 1996
    • Aidan Heaney – New England – 1996
    • Richard Sharpe – Colorado – 1996
    • Chris Woods – Colorado – 1996
    • Paul Rideout – Kansas City – 1998
    • Paul Dougherty – MetroStars, Tampa Bay, Chicago, Colorado – 1998-2000
    • Ian Bishop – Miami – 2001
    • Ian Woan – Columbus, Miami – 2001
    • Danny Jackson – Colorado – 2002
    • Steve Howey – New England – 2004
    • Steve Guppy – DC United – 2005
    • Terry Cooke – Colorado – 2005-
    • Mark Wilson – Dallas – 2005-

12. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001

chris woods is the only top name in that list.
    although paul rideout did play in Serie A for bari early in his career.

13. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Bishop was alright when he was with the Fusion I guess.

Woan was fucking terrible.

Infact he really did just fall from grace. Although I must say he never really started off big, was in non-league football for a while and came through the ranks that way.

Their seems to be a lot of British players who have played for the Rapids over the years it seems. Although in 96, I think Bobby Houghton was coaching them.

14. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not against us he wasn't :(

15. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ian Woan was still playing in 2001? He must have been over 80. So much for older guys not being able to handle the heat over there.

16. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Oh - and in trophy terms McManaman is the most successful Englishman abroad, but in real terms it was surely John Charles.

17. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    An unfunny joke Matt?

18. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London

Those names just roll off the tongue, like everyday phrases - the Scotch are good at football, the sheepshaggers would really prefer women, if they could find one who is prepared to mate with an ape, intelligent Mick, slim Yank et al et al..................

But where might I ask is Rodney Marsh and that other English leg-end George Best??? :confused:

19. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

That was the NASL.

20. SC LaPurisma

SC LaPurisma New Member

May 13, 2001
    California
    not a high enough level of individual skill to play and stay in Italy, France, Germany, or Holland. This is the reason the English National Team is not at where they SHOULD be at. They think the only way to play is the english way. This hurts them and they are too stubborn to see this. The only reason the standard of the game has risen is because of continental europeans are the main STARS of the teams. The only reason lots of these talented guys are in England is because of money thrown at them. Look at where arguably the most talent plays at: Serie A in Italy. The best players from there have gone onto Spain or England because of money. England is the best paying league, but by far not the best standard of play.

American players think England is popular because of money in contracts. Most other players around europe think so too. Give me the Bundesliga, Holland, or Serie A on television or live anyday.

The best english teams in european competions who are doing well is because of continental european players and not because the core teams are made up of english players.

The best solution is to have the best players from england playing in Serie A, Bundesliga, or Holland. ONLY THEN WILL I CREDIT THE ENGLISH NATIONAL TEAM THE ACCOLADES THEY WOULD LIKE TO HAVE.

21. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Who cares what you think?

22. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

John Charles wasn't English

23. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Just say no to drugs......You should read what you actually post on here.... You need to get a clue..

24. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Who gives a toss what a spazzo think? Go back to wanking over beating Mexico.

25. Football first

Football first New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Fall River, Mass.
    who the ********in hell gives a ******** what either of u think. go back to wanking over ur foxes.